SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   French sailor smashes World solo record (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/306314-french-sailor-smashes-world-solo-record.html)

aa3jy 12-17-2017 11:02 AM

French sailor smashes World solo record

mbianka 12-17-2017 11:34 AM

Re: French sailor smashes World solo record

Quote:

Originally Posted by aa3jy (Post 2051315546)

"He set a number of new solo race records along the way, including the fastest navigation of the Pacific (7 days, 15 hours, 15 minutes) and the longest distance covered in 24 hours (851 miles or 1,576 kilometres)."

Sounds like better way to travel than flying IMO.

SloopJonB 12-17-2017 11:44 AM

Incredible! Seems like only a few years ago that it took nearly a year.

This was faster than most ships are capable of - must have averaged around 25 knots. :eek

Rocky Mountain Breeze 12-17-2017 02:25 PM

Does anyone know what route must be taken for the record? Are they allowed to go through any canals or do they have to follow the same route around the Cape of Magellan and Cape Horn? Despite the technology and mechanics now available it is still a worthy endeavor to admire from the human endurance perspective. I think most people would go more than a little batty from sleep deprivation and isolation on that trip.

Minnewaska 12-17-2017 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SloopJonB (Post 2051315594)
.....must have averaged around 25 knots. :eek

Over the record setting 24hr distance covered of 851 miles, he averaged over 30 knots!! Holy crap. I don't know how you sleep alone with a boat moving that fast.

outbound 12-17-2017 03:09 PM

So more impressive than a bunch of foilers going around marks and having to call the race if itís too windy. For me this is the pinnacle of engineering and sailing not the AC.

Minnewaska 12-17-2017 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by outbound (Post 2051315762)
So more impressive than a bunch of foilers going around marks and having to call the race if itís too windy. For me this is the pinnacle of engineering and sailing not the AC.

Until someone hits a submerged object at 30 knots while asleep. Seems as much daredevil as skill.

Curious, are these record setters permitted to have tactical help from ashore, or are they making all their own calls from the ship.

whistler5 12-17-2017 05:33 PM

Great story! Thanks for the link.
So cool that stories like this are making national news. I heard a short mention about it today on a local radio station.
Go Francois, go!

Arcb 12-17-2017 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocky Mountain Breeze (Post 2051315698)
Does anyone know what route must be taken for the record?

It seems they usually start somewhere in France, and then head south around the capes then back to France. The canals would be slow. Aside from canaling itself, theyre both closeish to the equator, where the earths small circles are greater in circumference.

Rocky Mountain Breeze 12-17-2017 09:49 PM

I know that transiting a canal would be a time eater but eliminating that North/South transit would sure cut off a lot of mileage.....