Penobscot Bay and Rum - SailNet Community
 5Likes
  • 5 Post By DonScribner

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 12-18-2017 Thread Starter

Penobscot Bay and Rum

I currently have a full shot of rum in me and I'm waxing "I love you man!!" Although I haven't been above the legal limit in 4 decades, a warm glow at the holidays brings about feelings of comradery and bad spelling. That said, I sit here with a heavy heart, thinking of my beloved Island Time (Pearson-O'day 29 7 of 8), currently 8 inches deep in the white splendor, awaiting her spring rebirth. I can't tell you (though I'll try) just how much sailing has meant to me and my lovely bride over the past decade. I encourage any would-be-sailors, perusing these humble post, to man-up, girl-up, and take the plunge. The most freeing feelings of my life (aside from the Eric Clapton/Muddy Waters concert of '79, only 1/2 of which I recall) , is being 10 miles out, a stiff breeze, blowing my frosting hair, tiller in hand. Close hauled on a port tack, the afternoon southerlies kicking up a healthy froth. To sail into a quite cove with another few boats, drop anchor and open a bottle of Merlot. A lovely wine, playful yet demure, a warm and familiar woman, the love of my live for nearly four decades, tucked under my arm . . . for this there is no substitute.

We live in a most blessed country, where sailing means pleasure, not a ritual battle of man and sea, a struggle for survival against the odds, but a harmonic courtship of gentlemen and fickle yet lovely mistress. To that end, as gentlemen must boast of love and conquest, business and pleasure, and I need to crow about my sweetheart, Penobscot Bay. At the risk of selling her cheaply, gents (and ladies), if you get a chance, ever, you must avail yourselves of her ample pleasures, you must partake. The islands stretch mile, after mile, sound after sound, cove after cove. The pines, the rocky coast, osprey fishing between the boats. Miles and miles of molested coastline, accosted not by tourist and smog, but by the cry of gulls, a gentle evening breeze and the murmur of waves on a a granite coast. To whisper on a starboard tack through the Fox Islands Thoroughfare, to glide past the work boats in Stonington, dodge the reefs leading to Mt. Desert Isle, slide into Buckle Harbor and drop anchor in a herd of seals, or dingy your bride to a romantic dinner in Bar Harbor (we in Maine pronounce it "Bah Ha-bah"), it make life meaningful. Like an well adorned bride at wedding, she is breathtaking, a splendor to see, beauty beyond belief, and worth more than can be imagined.

Look her up and visit us this year. Amazing.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
480.JPG   514.JPG   472.JPG   556.JPG  
Slayer, mikel1, capecodda and 2 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-19-2017

Re: Penobscot Bay and Rum

One of the best parts of cruising Maine is that so few sailing tourists do. Don't screw it up!

We love it. We were supposed to head back this past summer, but plans changed. Back on the agenda for this year.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #3 of 3 Old 12-19-2017

Re: Penobscot Bay and Rum

+1 on Stonington. Wake up in duck harbor. After breakfast go for a walk in Acadia. Catch a striper off the dinghy during the afternoon. Grill it for dinner. Watch the sun go down with a drink in your hand . Bed with your honey. Perfect day.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in