• 1 Post By Arcb
  • 1 Post By aeventyr60
  • 1 Post By Lauraf95
  • 1 Post By Arcb

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 12-21-2017 Thread Starter

Smile Sailing Around New Zealand

Hi everyone!

I am new to this website and just wanted to introduce my boyfriend Robert and myself Laura. We are both in our early twenties and like most of you guys, have a passion for sailing.
Long story short: we arrived in New Zealand just over a month ago from England and bought our first ever sailboat - a 20ft trailer sailer. The boat is immaculate & ready to sail, however before we set off on our big trip we have been asking around for as much advice as we can get.

Two weeks ago we sailed her around Lake Taupo for a few days & had an amazing time. Our next plan is to sail her around the North Island - in particular Bay of Islands.
We are currently staying in Wellington and are seeking advice as to how good of an idea it is to start our trip from here..
The wind is very strong (as expected) and we were wondering whether anybody had some advice of where would be better to start?

We would appreciate suggestions from experienced sailors out there of where to start our adventure & any other advice you think could be helpful to us?

For more interest we would appreciate it if you checked out our Youtube channel, which documents our sailing adventure so far! You can find us at: WorldsCorner

Last edited by Lauraf95; 12-21-2017 at 05:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-21-2017

Re: Sailing Around New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauraf95 View Post
bought a boat - a small trailer sailer. Our plan is to take it around North Island!
I hope by "take it around the North Island" you mean you will be towing it with a vehicle. Otherwise it is folly and the authorities will likely impede your plans. Tow your boat to the Hauraki Gulf and have fun sailing around there.

Good luck with your video documentation but the market is pretty saturated with the premise of "I just boat a boat now watch me sail."
aeventyr60 likes this.
post #3 of 9 Old 12-21-2017

Dock

Yes the NZ authorities are very strict on non sea worthy vessels at sea.

They can and will ban you from leaving harbour and banning movement of your boat if necessary.

That being said there's some wonderful places you can go, including the Bay of Islands. There's months of flat water cruising right there. Historic too... Waitangi treaty was signed there. A great adventure.
Lauraf95 likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know

Last edited by MarkofSeaLife; 12-21-2017 at 06:38 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkofSeaLife For This Useful Post:
Lauraf95 (12-21-2017)

post #4 of 9 Old 12-21-2017

I know nothing about New Zealand, but your YouTube channel might do okay. Their are lots of YouTube sailing channels out there but almost none involving small trailerables. I guess Keep Turning Left is the best known of the genre.

What kind of boat do you have? I've got a small YouTube channel more or less centred around my 21' gaff rigged Sharpie type boat in Canada. I get a few views but I won't be quitting my day job any time soon lol.
Lauraf95 likes this.
post #5 of 9 Old 12-21-2017

Go across Cook Strait and sail in the Marlbourough sounds. A trip over to golden Bay and Nelson will be delightful. Some of the best cruising ever was a year spent going around the South Island. You'll want to be up on all your safety gear and seamanship skills. Enroll in one of the local sailing and seamanship courses. Good folks over at the Waikawa Bay yacht club. Hot showers and cold beers too.
Lauraf95 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
The Following User Says Thank You to aeventyr60 For This Useful Post:
Lauraf95 (12-21-2017)
post #6 of 9 Old 12-21-2017 Thread Starter

Hi Arcb,

We have a 20ft Beachcomber. We have only sailed her around Lake Taupo so far & are currently fixing her up before we set off on our next adventure.

Like yourself we are not relying on our Youtube channel for income, but we thought that it could be of interest to a lot of people.

Thanks for your feedback!
Arcb likes this.

Last edited by Lauraf95; 12-21-2017 at 06:15 PM.
post #7 of 9 Old 12-21-2017

I just watched your episode 6. It was a fun video, big boat for 20 feet. Your trailering set up is insane. Maybe you could look for a place to keep your boat in the water until you can find a suitable trailer.
Lauraf95 likes this.
post #8 of 9 Old 12-22-2017 Thread Starter

The trailer isn't the best thing in the world we can agree! We are trying to get her in the water as quickly as we can and off of the trailer.
Thanks for the feedback!
post #9 of 9 Old 12-22-2017

Trailer to the Bay of Islands...The Cook Straights is no place for a 20 ft boat.

Tags
new zealand , sailing

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in