How nervous are you? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 302Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 218 Old 12-21-2017

Re: How nervous are you?

Nervous? Leaving or coming into the dock? No, not really, more concerned. Now when I'm out there I start to think about sudden loss of atomic cohesion of the fiberglass molecules, thats when I get nervous, or when some power boat is approaching on plane, or the blue and red flashing lights behind me.
seabeau likes this.

Nor'sea 27
Don't re-accommodate me, Bro
And the trees are all keep equal by hatchet, axe and saw...RUSH
I invented a new word today, plagiarism.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 218 Old 12-21-2017

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianjoub View Post
No, I KNOW the way I live my life makes me a man. You appear to have no clue what makes a man. I live my life everyday with very few regrets, wish I could say NO regrets. Can you say the same?

I am leaving next week on a 10 day sailing trip from St. Pete to The Dry Tortugas on a 53' Jenneau. I am not afraid to lehttp://www.harboryc.com/membership-fees/ave the dock. I am not afraid to make the sail. I am not afraid of anything I may encounter. I will deal with whatever I need to, hopefully successfully.

What I won't do is cower on the dock and be afraid to go and live my life.

From my perspective REAL men don’t have to beat their bravado about how much of a man they are, REAL men have others call them REAL men and don’t have to brag about themselves and there supposed exploits.

A real man would be making that trip from ST Pete in his 27 foot Mirage not a 53 footer borrowed from someone else.

Give it and us a break.

I think the OP is living his life and obviously hasn’t been afraid to leave the dock. If you can tear yourself away from promoting yourself here, how about helping a fellow sailor vs belittling him.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
The Following User Says Thank You to chef2sail For This Useful Post:
Guyfromthenorth (12-28-2017)
post #13 of 218 Old 12-21-2017
Land lubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
From my perspective REAL men don’t have to beat their bravado about how much of a man they are, REAL men have others call them REAL men and don’t have to brag about themselves and there supposed exploits.

I don't have an issue with that. Everyone who knows me knows I am a real man. I certainly don't worry about apologizing to puffs over it.

A real man would be making that trip from ST Pete in his 27 foot Mirage not a 53 footer borrowed from someone else.

A real man can afford to go on any boat he pleases. Sorry for you that you are poor.

Give it and us a break.

I think the OP is living his life and obviously hasn’t been afraid to leave the dock. If you can tear yourself away from promoting yourself here, how about helping a fellow sailor vs belittling him.
I am helping him. Sometimes people just need a kick in the butt to get going. The OP sounded like that was most of his problem.

You, on the other hand, might want to go to Wal Mart and buy a pillow to chew on.

post #14 of 218 Old 12-21-2017
Old soul

Hi Trevor, and welcome. Ignore all the silly bravado. Sail your own sail. Being nervous is not unusual. It’s the sign that you are paying attention to the very real challenges of sailing and cruising. Don’t let it debilitate you though … that is where it tips into dysfunction.

I sailed a Mirage 27 quite a bit on Lake Superior. They are great boats. Solid, roomy, and pretty fast. This boat will take you far. But ignore the calls to “man up” or “grow a pair.” This is kindergarten talk. Moving at your own pace is what being a REAL ‘person' is all about.

BTW, I just washed up on Newfoundland shores this past season, having sailed from Lake Superior (Thunder Bay), over the span of a few seasons. I’m in the Bay of Islands (Corner Brook), so would love to learn more from you local sailors.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeOReilly For This Useful Post:
Gladrags1 (12-25-2017)
post #15 of 218 Old 12-21-2017
Master Mariner

Perhaps you might want to look at your fears from a different perspective.
Really, what's about the worst thing that could happen on a small boat, day sailing around your home port? IMO, it would be a dismasting. Probably the most expensive failure one can have, though rarely does anyone get injured. You said you've replaced the rig and I assume had a rigger tune your rig or done it yourself. Why would you worry that you'll be dismasted, then?
Winch in your headsail and rip out the clew? Big deal, start the engine and power home; all it's going to cost you is some time and money. Engine dies or you run aground? That's why an intelligent boat owner has Sea Tow or BoatUS, when available. Again, it's just money. But any of these things are good experiences for your future sea stories and even increase your knowledge and confidence, after the fact, because you learn that you will survive, most likely unhurt.
We all do our best to insure that things don't go wrong, but you can only prepare so much. So, if something breaks or whatever, then you fix it/learn from it and go out after the repairs; it just isn't all that catastrophic.
You are in a great deal more danger every time you travel in a motor vehicle, that's for sure. So, relax and have some fun. If you can't, then perhaps boating just isn't your thing.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #16 of 218 Old 12-21-2017
Kynntana (Freedom 38)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianjoub View Post
Or, it could indicate manhood. What are you afraid of? We all die. Get over it.

I have good judgement. I also think it is more important to live, than to continue to live. Most people I have met are so afraid of dying, they are afraid to live!

So, get over it, grow a pair, ACT like a man because obviously you will never be one, and experience life before it leaves you.
So wait, let me get this straight, IanJoub ("landlubber"?!?), whenever I get nervous taking my 38-foot boat solo on the Pacific, hundreds of miles offshore, I should grow a set, too? I guess this means that neutered males and females are the only ones who ever feel a bit twitchy at times? Call it what you will, but a little nervousness about any new activity or when in a new environment is just a healthy counterbalance to our (often inflated) egos and it certainly doesn't require growing some dangly appendage
chef2sail, contrarian and -OvO- like this.
post #17 of 218 Old 12-22-2017
Barquito

My level of anxiety or nervousness depends a lot on what situation I am in, and what experiences I have had recently. In the long run it has been ameliorated by learning how to deal with various unanticipated things. We had our engine die in a narrow entrance to our marina. It shook our confidence in our boat and our abilities. However, after much thought about how I could deal with this situation in the future, I am much more confident.

Valiant 32
post #18 of 218 Old 12-22-2017

Manhood ianjoub? Really? What are your credentials? And who cares? Open your eyes. Single, sexless troll. Damn, lowered myself to your level. Oops.

So tired of these points. Little masted, anonymous people on the internet who need to prove themselves, wow.

Anyway, don’t listen. Took many, many trips for me not to dread coming out of the slip and marina. Too much to hit!

It’s been 10 years or so of my wife and I sailing. We’re strangely both human and supported each other every step of the way. We’ve now sailed internationally, have multiple ASA certs and are still learning. We still have our moments.

Sailing has nothing to do with manhood. Experience, support and learn.
post #19 of 218 Old 12-22-2017

I was really nervous getting out of a tight slip with adverse current and wind the wrong way just the other day. Plus not a lot of water under the keel to keep me floating..a few extra hands on some lines, judicious use of the engine saw me get out with nary a scratch...or bump...yep, felt like a REAL sailor man!..Was much better sailing up to Langkawi in 25 knots of NE breeze...pure joy that little passage.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
post #20 of 218 Old 12-22-2017

It depends on how many people are there to see my mistakes

Tags
nervous

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in