How nervous are you? - Page 5 - SailNet Community
 302Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 218 Old 12-22-2017

Dock
Re: How nervous are you?

Interesting thread. 40 posts in 24 hours.

Driven off the jokey "be a man" crap. But not driven off the "arrrrrr it's manly to be petrified" crap yet.

The only way people really learn a drill is by repetition.
Theory can be studied once, tested, safe. But a drill - the physical doing of a repetitive skill - can't be learned from a book. But nor is it just the mechanically adept who can master it.

Do it by doing it.

Set a calender: every Saturday and Sunday morning, without fail, take the boat out at 9am, do 3 laps of the channel, do some reversing practice under engine then put all sails up and sail for at least 1 hour.

Rain. Hail. Shine.

By this repetition you will, like a ferry driver, get to calm your nerves.

A boat stuck in a marina is growing scum on the waterline. So is your brain.

Get the boat on the water at 9am. No matter what, ☺️

Every week.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 218 Old 12-22-2017

+1 on drilling, sometimes I think its something overlooked by the cruising sailor.

When I was 19 I got my first job driving a ferry. It was a yacht club tender about 35 feet, I did 4 crossings an hour for an 8 hour shift. It basically worked out to around 2500 single handed dockings a summer, did that for 3 summers.

My last job as a ferry driver, was a bit bigger of a boat, about 200 tons, that boat was 2 dockings an hour for a 12 hour shift. Drove that boat for 2 seasons. In the neighbourhood of 2000 dockings a season for 2 seasons. Then there was 15 years of driving other boats in between. I can honestly say I haven't been at all nervous about a docking on a pleasure sailboat in many years, but just these two jobs represented over 10000 dockings, so it took me a while to get there.

About a year and a half ago I bought my first ever beach cat, sure I had owned several other sail boats, but not a beach cat, as had my sailing partner. We had sailed beach cats before at resorts and stuff, but I had never owned one. We were determined that we didn't want to learn how to sail beach cats, we wanted to be good at sailing beach cats. So we came up with a plan and executed.

Nearly every Monday for the next year and a half we took most Mondays off work to train, provided there was no ice on the water. Every training day we picked a skill and we repeated that skill for hours, we took turns driving. Low wind days we would practice sail trim, navigation, tacking, gybing, recovery from capsize- whatever. High wind days trap, capsize recovery, sail trim, tacking, gybing, speed- always speed. First we were getting 7 knots- Cheers! Then 9 Cheers! then we broke the 10 mark Cheers! then 12 Cheers. 14 knots, Cheers. All of a sudden we found ourselves getting annoyed at our selves when we could only get 10 or 11 knots out of the boat.

I think if you are going to get good at something, repetitive practice is a good idea. If docking is stressing you out, then do docking drills. You can use buoys to simulate docking between boats or you can use a nav aid buoy to practice station keeping in a current or wind. Switch it up, every body takes a turn driving so you understand the other persons job. Maybe if you are doing a 4 hour sail, spend the first hour coming in and out of dock, then go for a sail and have fun.
SanderO and MarkofSeaLife like this.
post #43 of 218 Old 12-22-2017

Arcb...I think I am going to quit sailing, you make it sound like too much work.
Arcb likes this.

post #44 of 218 Old 12-22-2017
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrarian View Post
Being a man and claiming to be a man are two entirely different things. You think bravado makes you a man? You are obviously still a boy.
He's not just a boy - he's a boy who rides the short bus.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
post #45 of 218 Old 12-22-2017
Senior Moment Member

The older I get the more nervous I get.

I outgrew my immortality a long time ago and I've gained a lot of experience or rather knowledge of what can go wrong.
chef2sail and contrarian like this.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
post #46 of 218 Old 12-22-2017 Thread Starter

Thanks again for all the replies! I agree with MarkofSeaLife, this has been a wonderfully interesting thread.

Just to be clear on my original post though, while I am indeed nervous about the docking an general sailing execution, I'm not as concerned with the gaining of experience in that manner. I've had a few foolish hobbies during my time on this little rock, so I understand those notions.

What has bothered me the most was questioning the rigging and general gear failure and things of that nature. That part is new to me. I haven't had to rely on mechanic components for safety so much before in a hobby like this. Yes, yes, I know cars and the like... but that aside...

Thanks again!
Sal Paradise likes this.
post #47 of 218 Old 12-22-2017
Land lubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
The older I get the more nervous I get.

I outgrew my immortality a long time ago and I've gained a lot of experience or rather knowledge of what can go wrong.
The short bus would be a step up for you.

Far from feeling immortal, I understand that we are all going to die. I am not going to have the fear of death paralyze me.

I don't even pity people like you any more. You will go through life and never live, your loss.
post #48 of 218 Old 12-22-2017

Quote:
Nope, I ride the short bus and I have never seen him on it. Egg Sucking Dweebs are relegated to wearing clown suits and riding tricycles while vehemently exclaiming how they are the ones that know how to live life to its fullest. They demonstrate this by carrying large balls in a little wagon that they pull behind their tricycles.
Don't you just love the circus?
The imagery is fascinating and so apropos
br3nt and SloopJonB like this.
post #49 of 218 Old 12-23-2017

ďIím an engineer, so I know the scrutiny the designers had to go through before they made this thing.Ē

Thereís the rub. Youíve been trained in critical thinking, to imagine how things break so that you can design something that doesnít. And perhaps youíve met a comrade or two with a caviler attitude.

IMHO this anxiety will eventually pass. Itís kind of like mussel memory, if you do something long enough it becomes automatic, the program still runs but in the background.

What was your experience learning to drive? Now thatís crazy scary stuff fight there. Wizzing around at 140 mph differential speed in a lightweight box run by computer programmers next to sleep deprived freight liners and iPhone addicts.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter
post #50 of 218 Old 12-23-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorharris View Post
Thanks again for all the replies! I agree with MarkofSeaLife, this has been a wonderfully interesting thread.

Just to be clear on my original post though, while I am indeed nervous about the docking an general sailing execution, I'm not as concerned with the gaining of experience in that manner. I've had a few foolish hobbies during my time on this little rock, so I understand those notions.

What has bothered me the most was questioning the rigging and general gear failure and things of that nature. That part is new to me. I haven't had to rely on mechanic components for safety so much before in a hobby like this. Yes, yes, I know cars and the like... but that aside...

Thanks again!
As far as gear failures... note that structural system systems are designed with a healthy factor of safety. Can rigging fail? YES! but it's usually not a catastrophic one. I sailed to Bermuda once and we were on starboard tack for several days in heavish seas... and I noticed that one the strands of one of the shrouds... has parted. My rigging wire is very large...I think it's over 3/8" diameter... maybe 7/16. It is 19 strand so I lost one stand which was woven with the other 18 strands. I was freaked out thinking there would be a cascading failure and I would lose the rig! I used a spare halyard on the opposite tack secured to the chain plate tensioned it as much as I could and everything was fine. Replaced the wire in Bermuda.

Engine parts have a service life... and if you keep a head of things your engine should be fine. But they also have failures and so you need spares and ways to fix things. Sometimes you can't...sometimes you can. My engine has been going for 32 yrs... it's old but well maintained. I expect something to go at any time. But that does not cripple me from using the boat.

Wear and chafe is the enemy of the sailor. Be mindful of that.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

Tags
nervous

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in