How nervous are you? - Page 7 - SailNet Community
 302Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 218 Old 12-23-2017

Re: How nervous are you?

Quote:
It's a funny thing, actually.. I can drive for hours without giving the vehicle engine a thought, or worry that it might quit running.

Motoring for a lengthy spell is not the same,
Well, driving the car and motoring the boat aren't the same, and you sense that. When you car's engine quits, the car stops, it stays where you stopped it, and you get out and start walking. Even in the middle of nowhere, you will probably get a ride sooner or later. The predictable sequence of events when your boat's engine quits is quite different & usually higher risk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 218 Old 12-23-2017
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....

Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

cannot drift for miles in a car. damned thing stops. drifting in a boat is easy, just use tides and currents wisely.

i always hated it when my car had issues in booonydocks, boat it doesnot matter unless you are in danger to start with, in which case, oopsy try to plan better if there is a next time.
Towguy and travlin-easy like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41, cruising tropics

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #63 of 218 Old 12-23-2017

Boats are designed for the loads they see when sailing, don't worry about them.

post #64 of 218 Old 12-23-2017

My first boat is a Watkins 27, I wasn’t nervous I was quite excited. With that said I can be very cautious and methodical at how I approach challenges. I practiced and practiced and practiced on one dreary afternoon I pulled the boat out of the slip made a circle and pulled back in tied all the lines then repeated this 10 times that afternoon pulling in bow first and backing in. I can singlehanded do this now in most weather conditions.
seabeau and Arcb like this.
post #65 of 218 Old 12-23-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianjoub View Post
No, I KNOW the way I live my life makes me a man. You appear to have no clue what makes a man. I live my life everyday with very few regrets, wish I could say NO regrets. Can you say the same?

I am leaving next week on a 10 day sailing trip from St. Pete to The Dry Tortugas on a 53' Jenneau. I am not afraid to leave the dock. I am not afraid to make the sail. I am not afraid of anything I may encounter. I will deal with whatever I need to, hopefully successfully.

What I won't do is cower on the dock and be afraid to go and live my life.
Are you really a man, or do you just play one on the internet?

Try not to let the urgent override the important.

Last edited by troy2000; 12-24-2017 at 11:11 AM.
post #66 of 218 Old 12-24-2017
Captain Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorharris View Post
Thanks again for all the replies! I agree with MarkofSeaLife, this has been a wonderfully interesting thread.

Just to be clear on my original post though, while I am indeed nervous about the docking an general sailing execution, I'm not as concerned with the gaining of experience in that manner. I've had a few foolish hobbies during my time on this little rock, so I understand those notions.

What has bothered me the most was questioning the rigging and general gear failure and things of that nature. That part is new to me. I haven't had to rely on mechanic components for safety so much before in a hobby like this. Yes, yes, I know cars and the like... but that aside...

Thanks again!

Since you are an engineer - do some calculations. Its easy stuff, statics. Find out what the working load is on the shrouds. Calculate what the force is heeling the boat. I bet you find out that its very low stress. During relatively smooth action as the rig loads and unloads the boat,its just like weights spinning around an axis.

The scary time would be if the rig started pumping and if that happens, you must take down a sail , or reef.

But if that is not happening,if the rig is loading up smoothly and the rudder is responding well then you are seeing clear evidence that all is well and the boat is working as designed. I am not scared when I feel the boat working well.That is a clear reality.

You also should develop a set of skills, like reefing and simply know what course to take which will allow you to lower, or more accurately, manage the stress on the boat. So you will have an ability to control the stress. I think as an engineer this will resonate with you. You know the boat can take a large force, but you subject it to less force, and you have all that safety factor. Soon, you probably won't care anymore because the boat has a big factor of safety in the rigging and combined with good management, it will out last you. Finally, we all eventually learn that the boats can take way more than we can. This is what they were built to do.
SanderO and trevorharris like this.

Sal Paradise - Armchair Circumnavigator

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 12-24-2017 at 08:04 AM.
post #67 of 218 Old 12-24-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
.... pumping.....
This is of concern because the rig pumping leads to fatigue in the standing rigging and it an instant dynamic load... not a static one. It's not likely that the pumping will snap the rigging... but it is damaging the rigging and the swages and it can lead to failure. Look at the swages... this is where the rigging will likely fail if it does.
Sal Paradise likes this.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #68 of 218 Old 12-24-2017
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....

Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
This is of concern because the rig pumping leads to fatigue in the standing rigging and it an instant dynamic load... not a static one. It's not likely that the pumping will snap the rigging... but it is damaging the rigging and the swages and it can lead to failure. Look at the swages... this is where the rigging will likely fail if it does.
rigging, mast step, supports all affixed related and touching rig will be jerked to death. physics and geometry. follow the tugs and jerks to find the issues.
my rig began pumping--i fixed mast wedges situation. it did again. retuned rig and masts, pumping returned ... did again,, we stepping masts and replacing mizzen and lower bobstay fitting and shoring up the affixment points, chainplates tangs partners and wedges etc before restepping. and placing a 10 peso piece under each.
the lil boat i moved another slip away from lost its rig in that ferocious named event. (but, then ALL houses in colimilla lost roofs, so we did good. )

formosa 41, cruising tropics

Last edited by zeehag; 12-24-2017 at 12:02 PM.
post #69 of 218 Old 12-24-2017
HANUMAN

Lots of stuff going on here. You got some good advice so far with a clown thrown in for comic relief.

The advice for taking time to practice some maneuvers is good, the more you do it the more natural it will feel Eventually you forget to be nervous.

Two years ago I moved from a mooring to a slip in a very tight spot. I set up spring lines and practiced until I could single hand in most conditions. Anything beyond most conditions and I was probably not going out anyway.

Last year I moved to a bigger slip with more room for error. I was NOT at all confident all summer. It took me until just recently to realize that it was because I never practiced, played with different spring line set ups, worked things through in my head, etc., in the same manner I had done the previous year. I've been boating since I was a kid and sailing for nearly 20 years but I got complacent and thought I knew it all. Although I had a very nice slip and spent lots of time on the boat, met nice folks, I think I actually took my boat out less than ever last year.

One final thought. A wise man once told me that all those perfect sails, beautiful sunsets, will all blend into fuzzy memories. What you will remember, the stories you will tell, will be the times when the ****e hits the fan. That time you ran aground and had to wait hours for the tide to turn. That time you got stuck in the fog. The times when the engine over heats in the absolute worst possible time and place. They might not be fun at the time, but later on over a margarita with friends....
oysterman23 and JoCoSailor like this.

WINDHOVER
1999 CATALINA 36 MKII
NOANK, CT
post #70 of 218 Old 12-24-2017

Spartite can replace mast wedges and eliminate unequal pressure points.
blowinstink and zeehag like this.

Tags
nervous

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in