Here come da wind, here come da wind... - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 12-24-2017 Thread Starter
Master Mariner

Here come da wind, here come da wind...

I guess it was too much to hope for.
Yesterday, checking the weather for our upcoming charter, I saw that Christmas Winds were going to set in with a passion. And it's been sooooo nice.
Just a head's up to any of you heading this way this holiday season; it is winter down here too.
Reef early and reef deep. It is going to be rough and windy for a while!

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-24-2017

Re: Here come da wind, here come da wind...

predictwind is showing 15-20 for the next week, dropping to 10-15 next weekend.
Not showing anything serious across to Cape Verde
post #3 of 8 Old 12-24-2017 Thread Starter
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisteredUser View Post
predictwind is showing 15-20 for the next week, dropping to 10-15 next weekend.
Not showing anything serious across to Cape Verde
Boy, I sure hope you are right, but Passage WX, which has been pretty consistently correct, is showing 25 to 30+ out of the east. If everything holds true to form, it will be even stronger in the VI, but at least they don't have the channels to contend with, though that slog from Charlotte Amalie to Christmas Cove can be a tad uncomfortable, IMO.
This is a more local weather phenomenon I believe, and the Cape Verde/Sahara wx has little influence on us this time of year.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 Old 12-25-2017

We have high wind warnings here in Washington DC this Christmas morning and a possible severe winter storm hitting late next week. Luckily our plans for back to back charters in the U.S.V.I and BVI for most of January was scrubbed after the Hurricanes found one of the boats on the rocks demasted. Though I understand it has since been repaired. We made alternate plans and are going to the Maldives instead. The winds Capta speaks reminded me of a January charter in 2016 that started just lovely in the BVI but, by the time we got to Culebra in the Spanish V.I. had strong winds from the south which made for great sailing to Puerto Rico but, completely ruined the snorkeling off of Culebra. This was the result of a winter storm off of the Northeast U.S. called Jonas. THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: RIDERS ON THE STORM
Amazing how a storm 1500 miles away in the northeast U.S. affected conditions in the Virgin Islands.

Mike
Currently: Hunkering down for a bit.

Last edited by mbianka; 12-25-2017 at 05:52 AM.
post #5 of 8 Old 12-25-2017

Apparently Santa left some wake turbulence here too!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0482.PNG  

s/v Harmony
1973 Tartan 30 #186
Anchorage Marina, Baltimore MD
post #6 of 8 Old 12-25-2017
Land lubber

Looks to get breezy by Sunday when we will be in The Dry Tortugas, and thin king of heading to Key West that night.
post #7 of 8 Old 12-25-2017 Thread Starter
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianjoub View Post
Looks to get breezy by Sunday when we will be in The Dry Tortugas, and thin king of heading to Key West that night.
You might want to keep in mind that the Gulfstream runs west to east south of the Keys. In a strong easterly wind it can kick up every bit as badly as in a northerly on the east coast. There is often a counter current close to the reefs, but I'm not sure how close you'd want to run to them in the dark.

post #8 of 8 Old 12-25-2017
Land lubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
You might want to keep in mind that the Gulfstream runs west to east south of the Keys. In a strong easterly wind it can kick up every bit as badly as in a northerly on the east coast. There is often a counter current close to the reefs, but I'm not sure how close you'd want to run to them in the dark.
Thanks, we will go east to Key West north of the Dry Tortugas and Key West, never get into the Gulf Stream.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in