Hunter 37.5 legend alternatives? - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 12-26-2017 Thread Starter

Hunter 37.5 legend alternatives?

Hi all!

I'm looking to buy a boat somewhere in the new year and given my budget, I'm quite charmed by the 1990-1993 Hunter 37.5 legend, especially because of her layout with a fairly large aft state room and seemingly comfortable head. I'm looking for a boat that I could sail for long weekends or even longer periods of time. Does anyone know any good alternatives, especially regarding a larger aft state room, so I can widen my online searches?

Thanks!

Wouter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-26-2017
Old as Dirt!

Re: Hunter 37.5 legend alternatives?

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedebee View Post
Hi all!

I'm looking to buy a boat somewhere in the new year and given my budget, I'm quite charmed by the 1990-1993 Hunter 37.5 legend, especially because of her layout with a fairly large aft state room and seemingly comfortable head. I'm looking for a boat that I could sail for long weekends or even longer periods of time. Does anyone know any good alternatives, especially regarding a larger aft state room, so I can widen my online searches?

Thanks!

Wouter
Take a look at the Moorings 38.2 verses the Legend 37.5 of the same era.

"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
The Following User Says Thank You to svHyLyte For This Useful Post:
weedebee (12-26-2017)
post #3 of 13 Old 12-26-2017
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Take a look at the Moorings 38.2 verses the Legend 37.5 of the same era.
I would suggest that the Beneteau First 38s5 would be closer to the Hunter Legend 37.5 in terms of rig, and build quality and a major step up in fit and finish quality. The Moorings 38.2 version was a substantially downgraded version of the 38s5.

Jeff
Lazerbrains likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff_H For This Useful Post:
weedebee (12-26-2017)

post #4 of 13 Old 12-26-2017

Hey,

Some similar boats to consider
Catalina 36
C&C 36XL or 37/40 (the 37/40 will be more $)
Beneteau (already mentioned)
Jenneau 36.2 or sunfast 36

Good luck,
Barry

Barry Lenoble
Deep Blue C, 2002 C&C 110
Mt. Sinai, NY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to BarryL For This Useful Post:
weedebee (12-26-2017)
post #5 of 13 Old 12-26-2017 Thread Starter

Thanks for the help! I'll have a look! Much appreciated!
post #6 of 13 Old 12-26-2017
Banned

Just curious about why you're looking for alternatives. The Legends are great boats. You'll be hard pressed to find a better boat and better value.

Of all the boats listed above, I'd still pick the Legend (in fact I did).

Last edited by smackdaddy; 12-26-2017 at 12:21 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to smackdaddy For This Useful Post:
weedebee (12-26-2017)
post #7 of 13 Old 12-26-2017 Thread Starter

I'm pretty much orienting myself and making sure I have enough information to make a good buy. I just looked at the other boats mentioned in this thread and I still like the layout of the Hunter best.
post #8 of 13 Old 12-26-2017
Administrator

Quote:
especially because of her layout with a fairly large aft state room and seemingly comfortable head. I'm looking for a boat that I could sail for long weekends or even longer periods of time. Does anyone know any good alternatives, especially regarding a larger aft state room, so I can widen my online searches?
Quote:
I'm pretty much orienting myself and making sure I have enough information to make a good buy. I just looked at the other boats mentioned in this thread and I still like the layout of the Hunter best.
Just out of curiosity, have you actually seen that "large aft state room" in real life? My recollection is that most the cabin and berth are under the cockpit and bridge deck and so seem quite cramped in real life. My recollection is that head was nice and I liked that they did not try to fit a second head or dedicated shower into a boat this size.

Jeff

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
post #9 of 13 Old 12-26-2017

Hey,

IMHO Regarding boat shopping, you should have either one boat model you want, or even better is to have a few models you like. Then find the nicest boat in your area and make your offer.

If you decide you want the Legend 37.5 (which I think is a nice boat) it may be a long time before you find one in your area that is in good condition and your budget.

If you decide you like the Legend 37.5 AND the Bene First, you are a lot more likely to fine ONE boat to buy before the season gets away from you. I don't know where you are located (it's helpful if this information is part of your profile), but it is not that easy to find a good boat at a good price. Lastly, find a good broker and see what he has. You may find a boat you never even considered.

Good luck,
Barry

Barry Lenoble
Deep Blue C, 2002 C&C 110
Mt. Sinai, NY

post #10 of 13 Old 12-26-2017

I have spent a lot of time on a freinds 375. I thought the accomodations were quite good. We routinely had dinner parties for 4 and sometimes more adults in great comfort.

The aft cabin doesnt have a lot of headroom or natual light, but lots of room for two people to lie down in. My buddy that owned one did a lot of rig/sailing upgrades, he occasionally sent me up the mast to do the odd job for him as he wasnt all that keen on climbing, so i had a good look around up there too.
weedebee likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in