BVI Hotel Recommenations - SailNet Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 12-29-2017 Thread Starter

BVI Hotel Recommenations

I am chartering a boat in BVI's in late April. My gf and I want to go down a few days before our charter to extend the vacation a bit, and maybe do some diving. Every time I have been there I have stayed on a boat. While looking I noticed that most options were not available for the time frame I put in, and I am guessing it is because our stay will be just three nights. So any suggestions?

Also, I know the post says BVI, but St. Thomas is an option I would consider so I can visit a friend who lives there. We will be flying into St. Thomas regardless. The only part of St. Thomas I have seen is the area around Crown Bay Marina which is on the South side of the Island, to the East of the airport (French Town nearby), and I wouldn't want to stay there. But I am sure other parts of the island are nice too.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 12-29-2017

Re: BVI Hotel Recommenations

I've found the most relaxing way to enjoy a bareboat vacation is to arrive and spend the first night aboard, in the marina. Bareboat companies typically charge less for that night than the cruising nights, but either way, it's comparable to a hotel room. You get acclimated prior to casting off. Easier to do the departure inventory checklist too. Then I like to return to St Thomas for at least one night prior to my flight out. If you stay in BVI and fly out of STT, on the day of departure, you have to taxi to the BVI ferry, take the ferry than often doesn't run on time, clear customs in STT, then get a taxi to the airport. It's slightly stressful, with a plane schedule.

Your biggest issue is which hotels are even operational by then. I've stayed in the Wind-something, right across from the St Thomas ferry terminal. It's fine, nothing great, but you don't want to go out at night. I've also stayed at the Beachcomber out by the airport, which was incredibly convenient to get to my flight. I'm not sure it survived Maria. It was already old and run down. You can always go out the Marriott, if you're looking high end. I've also stayed in Road Town on Tortola, in the hotel associated with the Moorings. What a dump. But that was years ago and they were remodeling then. Who knows now, especially after the hurricanes.

Can't wait to hear what you find down there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #3 of 16 Old 12-29-2017 Thread Starter

Minnewaska great advice on staying the last night in St. Thomas; I hadn't even thought of that. And I will look into staying a night on the boat too.

post #4 of 16 Old 12-29-2017
Freedom isn't free

Dock

Right now, getting an extra night or two on your charter boat might be quite inexpensive. They aren't nearly as booked as usual.

Freedom, a 1983 C&C 32 sailing Smith Mountain Lake, VA
post #5 of 16 Old 12-30-2017

After a trip out of Tortola some of us spent an extra night there. Some stayed at Maria by the Sea, while others found some nice AirBnBs. We made sure to get an early ferry back to St. Thomas the next morning to catch our afternoon flights from STT.
post #6 of 16 Old 12-30-2017

We typically do an overnight on the boat before the start of the charter, but that is because we tend to self provision and need the time at the dock. However, if you don't need to do that, you might compare the cost of the overnight on the charter boat with the cost of a local hotel, which could be significantly less expensive.

But, given the recent hurricane damage, you might find the charter boat to be more available and in better condition than shore accommodations.

We also stay ashore after our charter on St. Thomas, but we typically charter out of St Thomas. We usually stay at a B&B away from the water and take a taxi to a good restaurant. The challenge will be finding accommodations that have been restored to acceptable condition. And that goes for the restaurants, too. Hopefully there will be significant restoration of tourist infrastructure by April.
post #7 of 16 Old 12-30-2017

Dock

Some hotels in the virgin Islands are now located on adjoining iskands.

Please only take recommendations from AFTER the last hurricane season.
Slayer likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #8 of 16 Old 12-30-2017

To Mark's point. Here is the website of the place we stayed at last winter, near the STT airport. It's gone.

Sad, it was real 70s island throwback stuff. Beautiful beach. The rooms were third world country-like. Most stuff worked, most of the time. The beer was always cold at the beach bar. That was all you could rely upon. Island stuff.

Home - The Island Beachcomber Hotel
Slayer and MarkofSeaLife like this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #9 of 16 Old 12-30-2017

Sebastian's On The Beach. It looks directly at Joust from the north side of west end, right at the end of Zion Hill Road. It's 5 KM from Callwood Distillery in Cane Garden Bay. About 10 minutes by car. We stayed there for a couple of days before a charter a few years ago and loved it. Nice patio and bar for dinner, overlooking the sand, palms along the beach. Absolute paradise. Not sure how it fared though. Like some many other beloved places, check it out first.
post #10 of 16 Old 12-31-2017 Thread Starter

Don thanks for the recommendation- I have been looking at Sebastions. It appears they are taking reservations so I think they are up and running.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in