Ontario Sailors: Want clearer imagery than google earth generally has? - SailNet Community
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By Guyfromthenorth
  • 2 Post By Guyfromthenorth

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 12-29-2017 Thread Starter

Ontario Sailors: Want clearer imagery than google earth generally has?

I'm not sure how many people are aware, but the Provincial Government supplies access to excellent topographic and overhead imagery maps for Ontario. In many cases the imagery is DRASTICALLY clearer (and more up to date) than google earth provides. You can find it by going to www.ontario.ca and searching "maps" then selecting to make a topographic map. I know about this because I use it all the time for work. Once at the map find the area you want to check out, click on the "Map Layers" tab, de-select the topographic one and turn on the imagery one. You can zoom in VERY close to get tiny detail.

You can also access it directly here:

http://www.gisapplication.lrc.gov.on...M&locale=en-US

My wife and I scout all island and anchorages before heading out through this system, you can see much more "real world" detail than most charts convey. Here's an example of the difference in clarity.

Google Earth:
Maximum zoom
ImageTitan | googleearth.jpg

Provincial Mapping:
Same zoom as Google Earth
ImageTitan | provincial1.jpg

It even goes 1 step closer than Google Earth
ImageTitan | pronvicial2.jpg
Arcb and CrispyCringle like this.

Some youtube videos, nothing fancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Guyfromthenorth For This Useful Post:
Arcb (12-29-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-29-2017

Re: Ontario Sailors: Want clearer imagery than google earth generally has?

Awesome. Do you know if there is a filter I can apply to see crown land? I am always looking for free places to beach and camp.
post #3 of 6 Old 12-29-2017
Old soul

Very nice Ö only wish I knew about it before I left. Donít suppose you know if other provinces (like NFLD) have a similar tool?

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 Old 12-29-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
Very nice Ö only wish I knew about it before I left. Donít suppose you know if other provinces (like NFLD) have a similar tool?
I'm aware of the Ontario database because it started in my division of the Gov't, but I don't have a lot of exposure to NFLD in my work. My brother works for the Feds, I'll see if he's aware of them offering a similar product as google didn't turn much up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
Awesome. Do you know if there is a filter I can apply to see crown land? I am always looking for free places to beach and camp.
If you zoom in you can see Municipal boundaries, First Nations land, and you can also see individual parcels of land from the MPAC data and everything else that is aggregated into the LIO database. I don't believe there is a specific shading option to mark Crown v. Private\Patent, but for sure Parks (tourist ones AND natural ones without gate houses or staff) show up shaded light green. I'll do some digging and see if there's an option to shade Crown but the public access layers don't appear to offer the option. I can see them on my side but I have different access on the intranet side of the mapping products.

One thing to note, the majority of land owned along waterways in Canada has what's called a "shoreline reserve". This means most property when it was first severed had 66ft from the "high water mark" reserved as crown land. This is an old rule that ensured ships could anchor during foul weather and life boats could move to shore and camp without fear of trespassing, and yes this rule was applied even to lakes as small a mudpuddles. Today you can opt to purchase your shoreline reserve (I did at my property), it's a lengthy bureaucratic process but costs (or used to) very little. For example I added 165ft of beachfront to my property for a cost of 1100$. By adding this shoreline reserve to my official "owned" portion of land I can now call my house "waterfront" whereas before the legal term would have been "lakeside".

I guess what I'm saying is, other than in very urban\well developed locations, 66ft from the water line is usually crown in most cases whether people realize it or not, unless the owner specifically applied and purchased it from the Crown. You can also search and see property lines on the MPAC website if you are looking at specific spots to camp.
MikeOReilly and Arcb like this.

Some youtube videos, nothing fancy

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guyfromthenorth For This Useful Post:
Arcb (12-29-2017), MikeOReilly (01-02-2018)
post #5 of 6 Old 12-29-2017

Dock

It is a real shame that as a Canadian i have to pay stupid prices for charts and the digital charts are bsb v4 with parts missing. I have to run OpenCPN under windows/ Wine Linux to use them.. I asked about other formats but the cost per chart is $$$$$ and with the stipulation that they are not to be used for navigation
I spent a number of years doing Forestry and mineral exploration and it was so nice when the GOV released the data to the public with out restrictions. Any one can down load the maps repackage and resell if that is your interest.
I wish we took the USA approach to Nautical data. It would allow us to add to the data and safety to mariners.
OpenMap and OpenSeamap have all the Canadian topo data "ShoreLine". But lacks the stuff for nautical charts and i have not figured out how to get a local copy so i can add my own data..
post #6 of 6 Old 01-02-2018

Thanks for the info on this! It will be very helpful for my planned North Channel trip this summer.
The Following User Says Thank You to CrispyCringle For This Useful Post:
Guyfromthenorth (01-02-2018)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in