Security camera - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 Old 01-02-2018 Thread Starter

Re: Security camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlin-easy View Post
Here's the ones I purchased, on sale for $35, but the price went up a bit since Christmas. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1....
That's a pretty good option, Gary, if one doesn't mind it grabbing power from the house and you have access to 24/7 wifi. The wifi is a weak link, if it goes down or loses power. Of course, unless one has an expensive hot spot, this will only work when at the slip. The cellular based Arlo will work anywhere with a cell signal. The ad mentioned cloud data recording plans. Do you have to pay to record the vids it finds? With the Arlo, you get seven rolling days of vid recorded to the cloud for free. If you want more saved you can pay, but I don't get why one would. While I like the notification feature, I simply can't check the vid instantly, so I view the recording. If I needed it saved, I believe I can do so on my phone itself. To date, I've not needed to. However, going back to view who's in the house in the middle of day, an hour after they tripped the motion detector, has been very useful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Last edited by Minnewaska; 01-02-2018 at 06:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 Old 01-02-2018 Thread Starter

Pretty good review, given my experience with this wifi model at home.

Maybe important to point out that the device I linked above is newer and different. It's fully self contained, operates over the cell network, no big wireless receiver, no wifi. Just mount the camera.

I really like the idea of being able to check in on the boat during a big storm in the marina. The home wifi model also has he ability to just check in, even if there hasn't been motion that sets it off. One would need to be sure their data plan for the cellular version was large enough to handle that. $20 per month, unlimited, is on the bubble. I suppose it really depends how badly one needs/wants this security that will go with them anywhere they have a cell signal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #13 of 16 Old 01-02-2018

On a tangent.... I have a weather station which is wireless, runs on 2 AAAs and needs wifi.

WeatherFlow ? Better Data. Better Decisions.

It has 3 components... the base station which receives the data and 2 transducers... one for temp, barometer and somehow senses lighting strikes. The other which has not arrived yet is for wind... speed, direction and rain. I had wanted to set this up on Shiva, but there are a few hitches... the there at present is no way to compensate direction for the boats movement... The wind assumes a fixed calibrated mount... and of course to read the data you need a wi fi connection. You can read the data on your smart phone or computer.

Which gave me the idea.... Why not set up the weather Station in Northport where Shiva is moored so that anyone could access the data from their phones or PC.. Or maybe other sailors could set them up where they are moored so that anyone could get real time weather from these weather stations? The main problems as I see it are:

finding a good location
obtaining consent and cooperation from the property owner
having a wi fi connection which is active 25/7/365
changing the batteries

Here is my temp set up on my window sill... (no wind yet)

https://smartweather.weatherflow.com/share/2984

double click to see the history of the data.

What say you?

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

Last edited by SanderO; 01-02-2018 at 07:05 AM.

post #14 of 16 Old 01-02-2018

After our last incident at our marina..seriously looking into this...

https://www.besttrailcamerareviews.o...-trail-camera/

..as our marina has wifi
post #15 of 16 Old 01-02-2018
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

If you're using a camera for security purposes, it really needs to be completely hidden or camouflaged or the guilty party is simply going to disable or destroy it.

If you have wi-fi or cell capability, you might get an alert and some footage transmitted to you before the camera is disabled, but if you don't have transmit capability, you really need the camera to survive the intrusion otherwise it's worthless.

There are a variety of motion sensitive cameras disguised as coat hooks and other everyday items that a thief probably wouldn't disturb:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...ecurity+camera

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #16 of 16 Old 01-02-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax_MD View Post
If you're using a camera for security purposes, it really needs to be completely hidden or camouflaged or the guilty party is simply going to disable or destroy it.
This is the downside to non-cell or non-wifi wildlife cameras. The intruder just steals the camera. To be effective, you must have internet recording capability. They may still steal the camera, but you have a vid and notification of them doing it live.

The cellular wildlife cameras are an interesting alternative, but I noted the need to pay subscription services right out of the box, just like Arlo. Cheaper device tho. I wonder how smartphone functionality and battery life compare.

I'm not aware if the cellular wildlife style cameras allow you to just dial into your camera and see how things look. This would be of incredible value to check on docklines, etc, during a storm. With Arlo, you can.

Jeanneau 54DS

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in