Security camera - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 12-31-2017 Thread Starter

Security camera

To date, all US internet security cameras have seemed to require 110v power and a wifi connection. Those are less than optimal on a sailboat. Even if you have shore power, a simple pull of the plug and your security is off. The wifi is often the bigger problem. Most marina wifi routers seem to ditch connections on a timer, so that the entire marina doesn't eat up bandwidth like this. Our marina even requires a second log in page that devices have a hard time managing.

This new device from Arlo operates both on a battery and over the cellular LTE network independently. You could install it anywhere on a boat, inside or out. Operates on motion detection, with variable sensitivity. Very cool.

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/products/...o/default.aspx

It's pretty pricey and you must pay for a cell data package. They offer three different providers, which either allow for a variety of data sizes or an unlimited package from Verizon for $20 per month. Considering that I was thinking about getting an unlimited cellular hotspot to allow for this, that would have been closer to $100 per month, this is much more affordable.

In my home, I have the wifi version of Arlo and love it. Works great. Let's me know when anyone approaches the house and when the cleaning lady arrives and leaves. I get a notification on my phone.

I've had a desire to put a camera down below to know when the marina access my boat. Generally, its because they are doing maintenance. Wouldn't you love to see how long they were really aboard and what they were doing all that time?

More importantly, we think we had kids aboard a couple of years back. No damage or anything stolen, just missing a little booze and a bunch of doors and lights not the way we left them. We're guessing it was a different purpose. All sheets were immediately washed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-01-2018

Re: Security camera

I just purchased a pair of weatherproof cameras for $35 from Amazon that are powered with 5-volt USB power, which I can obtain off my inverter. When turned on, it draws less than 1/4 amp. The WI-FI at the marina is 24/7 with no timeouts.

Makes no sense to spend $345 on this camera, one that pretty much has all the same features as my $35 a pair Zmodo cameras.

Happy New Year,

Gary
post #3 of 16 Old 01-01-2018

Dock

Try openplotter/ Raspberry pi with a little work you could set up motion sensors and camera, etc and have ET call home and or activate alarm. For less and get chart plotter/wifi hotspot, etc .35 amp current draw @ 12 volts max on my system.

post #4 of 16 Old 01-01-2018 Thread Starter

Sure, if you have access to 24/7 wifi, even the Arlo wifi version is much less expensive. Can you really get a $35 wifi camera that will send a notification to your phone, upon identifying an intruder? Even a quarter amp is 6 amps per day, 42 per week. I think that matters.

This device will still work, with you boat swinging on anchor or transient moorings and notify you ashore, if someone boards your boat. It requires no power source, whatsoever, other than it's own battery.

It sure is expensive, but I think it's the first of it's kind in the US. One has to think competition is on the horizon and pricing will come down.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #5 of 16 Old 01-01-2018

If you want to get an inexpensive start on this, there are many time-lapse cameras available - batt run, weather duty and easy to place/hide.

I've used one on building sites and it just plain did what was advertised. You set the lapse. Who takes 2 hr lunches, who comes onsite at 2am...who steps on your boat, etc.

Batts last a long time...I forget the time with X interval set.

You can place them in a tree, on a mast, hidden on a shelf....

About $100 a pop
post #6 of 16 Old 01-01-2018 Thread Starter

You're right, wildlife cameras are an inexpensive option. Just no notification to cell phone, nor ability to monitor remotely.

Jeanneau 54DS

post #7 of 16 Old 01-01-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
You're right, wildlife cameras are an inexpensive option. Just no notification to cell phone, nor ability to monitor remotely.
Yep.
That where they tie you into a $ystem.
Accept, or not.
post #8 of 16 Old 01-01-2018

https://sailbits.com/arlo-security-c...-the-sailboat/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stevemitchell likes this.

1981 Spirit 28 "Bonnie Lass"
Bremerton, Washington
post #9 of 16 Old 01-01-2018
Freedom isn't free

Dock

Power over ethernet cameras run on 48V... has to be a better way to fodge this.

Maybe a PoE fodge with voltage step up from 12V? with a 4:1 transformer, but you'd also need ethernet switch (most light netgears run on 12V), inject to ethernet to WIFI bridge.... sounds like a lot for a boat though. Or router with LTE uplink?

Most of these simple cameras have SD write onboard, and ability to motion detect and send on command.

Freedom, a 1983 C&C 32 sailing Smith Mountain Lake, VA
post #10 of 16 Old 01-01-2018

Here's the ones I purchased, on sale for $35, but the price went up a bit since Christmas. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As for the 6 amps a day, well I have a 100-watt solar panel keeping the 500 AH house batteries charged up when the sun is out, so I really wouldn't worry about a measly 6 amps a day. Additionally, the cameras have an infrared system that triggers on with movement that really works great. I get a notification on my smart phone when the deer walk past my home - neat to watch that big assed 8-pointer strut his stuff in front of the does.

All the best,

Gary

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in