Local Real Time Weather Data - SailNet Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 01-02-2018 Thread Starter

Local Real Time Weather Data

I recently got a weather station which is wireless, runs on 2 AAAs and needs wifi.

Smart Home Weather Stations ? WeatherFlow

It has 3 components... the base station which receives the data and uploads it to the www and 2 transducers... one for temp, barometer and somehow senses lighting strikes. The other which has not arrived yet is for wind... speed, direction and rain (no moving parts).

I had wanted to set this up on Shiva so I could remotely observe the conditions where she was when I am not there, but there are a few hitches... There is, at present, is no way to compensate direction for the boats movement... Position I presume comes from the base station or the wifi's lat lon set in programming. The wind assumes a fixed calibrated mount... and of course to read the data (remotely)you need a wi fi connection. Anyone can read the data on a smart phone or computer.

And this gave me the idea.... Why not set up the weather Station in Northport where Shiva is moored so that anyone could access the data from their phones or PC.. Or maybe other sailors could set them up where they are moored so that anyone could get real time weather from these weather stations? How cool it would be to have these independant addresable weather stations all over Southern NE where I sail.... or all over local waters fronts in the States or the whole world! The main problems as I see it are:

finding a good location
obtaining consent and cooperation from the property owner
having a wi fi connection which is active 25/7/365
changing the batteries

Here is my temp set up on my window sill... (no wind yet)

https://smartweather.weatherflow.com/share/2984

double click to see the history of the data.

Here are all the WeatherFlow stations around the world. The list is growing!

http://fsoft.com/smartweather.cfm

I plan to set this up in Northport this Spring.

What say you?

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

Last edited by SanderO; 01-02-2018 at 10:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-02-2018 Thread Starter

Re: Local Real Time Weather Data

WeatherFlow is a start up company. They seem to be on the ball. As noted they haven't shipped their WIND unit yet and target is for April.

It would be cool if there was a camera module so for the application for sailor they could see the local conditions as well... cloud cover, waves and so forth and integrate a tide clock into it.
Sal Paradise likes this.

post #3 of 15 Old 01-02-2018
Captain Obvious

I love these weather stations. I would find out from weatherflow if they have partnered up with any businesses or owners of commercial buildings. If they have, they might have figured a way to add a link on the hosts website. That's a nice benefit. Then you just need to find a business or building owner who would like to host it, and they get to let their customers access it.And you will too. Everybody wins.

Also as far as mounting on a boat- I would be surprised to find that no one is selling a mount that auto rotates to north. Should not be a technical problem.

Sal Paradise - Armchair Circumnavigator

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger

post #4 of 15 Old 01-02-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
I love these weather stations. I would find out from weatherflow if they have partnered up with any businesses or owners of commercial buildings. If they have, they might have figured a way to add a link on the hosts website. That's a nice benefit. Then you just need to find a business or building owner who would like to host it, and they get to let their customers access it.And you will too. Everybody wins.
Similar to when outdoor webcams first started.
Makes sense.
post #5 of 15 Old 01-02-2018
Captain Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisteredUser View Post
Similar to when outdoor webcams first started.
Makes sense.
Actually a webcam would be a great add to this..... I could watch SanderO draft up his latest designs...LOL

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 01-02-2018 at 06:03 PM.
post #6 of 15 Old 01-02-2018

Dock

Crowd Sourced weather info.

Great idea.

I don't think your stuff has to be so much *accurate* but needs to be *consistent*.

Then people can factor you in.

Yep. Great.
SanderO likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go

And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #7 of 15 Old 01-02-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Crowd Sourced weather info.
Weather Underground's been feeding my Android reports for many years.

Accuweather jumped on the bandwagon a few years ago too.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.
post #8 of 15 Old 01-02-2018
Tartan 27' owner

That is pretty cool SanderO.
It wouild be nice to have more data points available but more may be coming as you suggest.
It would also be nice to be able to mount a device like that on your boat to monitor while away.
There are quite a few local datapoints I can use on this website: Tarry, NY Marine Weather and Tide Forecast
But the data comes from airport weather feeds and buoys in the Sound and Atlantic (depending on your location).
Happy New Year.

"The cure for anything is salt water~ sweat, tears, or the sea." ~Isak Denesen

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 15 Old 01-03-2018
Captain Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
It wouild be nice to have more data points available but more may be coming as you suggest.
It would also be nice to be able to mount a device like that on your boat to monitor while away.
There are quite a few local datapoints I can use on this website: Tarry, NY Marine Weather and Tide Forecast
But the data comes from airport weather feeds and buoys in the Sound and Atlantic (depending on your location).
Happy New Year.

Happy New Year Caleb. Thanks for the link - that's a great source.

post #10 of 15 Old 01-03-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
This was precisely why I got the WF... and supported their crowd sourced development campaign. Back then... more than a year ago. I had no idea I would have to have an active 24/7 wi fi connection and the wind had no way to be self calibration/adjusting to true north.

I think the electrical draw on a moored boat such as Shiva was not an issue. The issue has turned out to be the true north... for wind... because the boat yaws on its mooring... and the 24/7 wifi. That's how the data is uploaded to the www so it can be viewed.

I don't know the accuracy of their transducers. I will bring it to the boat and compare it to the B&G wind which I believe is pretty accurate. I could experiment with that but would require a special offset mount on a halyard to hoist Wind up the mast to a similar elevation as the B&G.

And then I realized that wind in the harbor is often not the wind on the sound in open water which is more germane to "sailing" decisions. Sure there is wind inside the harbor.... but the wind Shiva "sees" at her mooring is very much influenced by the land... and we are close to the western shore which is prehaps 100' tall offering decent protection from westerlies... ergo not accurate speeds related to what's out in the Sound.

Nevertheless... a number of WF stations along the shore on the sound, in harbors would be interesting to know and would inform sailing decisions. So my intention is to find a shore side location to mount my WF and make the data available to anyone.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in