What would you build? - SailNet Community
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 74 Old 01-09-2018 Thread Starter

Dock
What would you build?

So lets pretend that you've decided that you wanted to build a boat to sail all the oceans blue. You'll be building this boat with your own two hands and you want to get it done in a reasonable amount of time, lets say less than three years working on it full time. What would you choose to build?

thanks,
Hugh

No matter where you go, ....
B&B Spindrift 11N
Past Adventures:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to ThereYouAre For This Useful Post:
timangiel (01-09-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 74 Old 01-09-2018
Master Mariner

Re: What would you build?

Jim Brown Searunner 37 or 40, without any hesitation. There is even a construction manual specifically written for the back yard builder, available free online. It even includes the mast and vanegear!
Since I choose not to build myself, I'd have one built in carbon fiber, if I won the lottery! lol

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #3 of 74 Old 01-09-2018

Okay, well I don't have enough experience with home built boats, or all the oceans to give a recommendation.

I do have a couple of thoughts. When you say all oceans, are you including the ones at the top and bottom? If so, I think steel would be a good idea. I think aluminum welding can be a handful for the home builder.

If not, I think my preference would be for a multi hull. I have often dreamed of building a small Wharram. I don't really know much about the bigger ones, however, they have a really useful chart on their website that gives both time and dollar estimates for building boats of different sizes.

Https://www.wharram.com/site/choosing-a-design

post #4 of 74 Old 01-09-2018 Thread Starter

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Jim Brown Searunner 37 or 40, without any hesitation. There is even a construction manual specifically written for the back yard builder, available free online. It even includes the mast and vanegear!
Since I choose not to build myself, I'd have one built in carbon fiber, if I won the lottery! lol
Is there anything particular that draws you to the Searunner? While I believe that trimarans are the ultimate sailing machines they seem to be the least practical when it comes to cruising/living aboard.

I probably should have added that you plan on spending a decade or more in your pursuit of crossing all the worlds oceans.

thansk,
Hugh

B&B Spindrift 11N
Past Adventures:
post #5 of 74 Old 01-09-2018

Something like an Ingrid 38, in a ketch, from oak. kick it old school. But not too old.
ThereYouAre likes this.

"Freedom is the increased knowledge of what you can do without." —Thoreau
post #6 of 74 Old 01-09-2018 Thread Starter

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
Okay, well I don't have enough experience with home built boats, or all the oceans to give a recommendation.

I do have a couple of thoughts. When you say all oceans, are you including the ones at the top and bottom? If so, I think steel would be a good idea. I think aluminum welding can be a handful for the home builder.

If not, I think my preference would be for a multi hull. I have often dreamed of building a small Wharram. I don't really know much about the bigger ones, however, they have a really useful chart on their website that gives both time and dollar estimates for building boats of different sizes.

Https://www.wharram.com/site/choosing-a-design
While spending extended periods of time at high latitudes isn't part of the daydream, you'd certainly want something that could round all the great capes in relative safety.

The small catamarans do seem to provide the best combination of comfort and performance. I've been spending a lot of time on Richard Woods' site (Sailing Catamarans - Home) and was curious as to what else was available and suitable. I'll be spending some time on the Wharram site now.

thanks,
Hugh

B&B Spindrift 11N
Past Adventures:
post #7 of 74 Old 01-09-2018
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereYouAre View Post
I probably should have added that you plan on spending a decade or more in your pursuit of crossing all the worlds oceans.
thansk,Hugh
I'm pretty sure you meant to say I rather than you in the above statement, as I already have.
I sailed a Searunner 37' from Pago Pago to the USVI via the Red Sea and the Med. I consider it the perfect family ocean cruising boat for a variety of reasons, not the least of which being that the mast is in the cockpit, so all your sheets and halyards are close at hand. Another being that the vanegear was designed as an integral part of the boat.
I sailed mine out of a hurricane in the Indian Ocean and through a storm in the Atlantic that took the lives of at least 12 people I am aware of, including Alan Colas, without any problems, but certainly not without hard work. I also sailed her 1200 miles up the Red Sea, no small feat, as the course up the Red Sea is roughly 15 degrees off the wind.
ThereYouAre likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #8 of 74 Old 01-09-2018 Thread Starter

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by amwbox View Post
Something like an Ingrid 38, in a ketch, from oak. kick it old school. But not too old.
Thanks, but I won't be felling and milling the lumber

B&B Spindrift 11N
Past Adventures:
post #9 of 74 Old 01-09-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereYouAre View Post
Thanks, but I won't be felling and milling the lumber
Will be amazing if those guys pull it off. Can't wait.

"Freedom is the increased knowledge of what you can do without." —Thoreau
post #10 of 74 Old 01-09-2018 Thread Starter

Dock

On building a multifull vs a monohull I'm thinking that the multihull would actually be a lot less work and allow simpler building techniques. You'd need to build 26,000lbs of boat for an Ingrid while only 11,000lbs of boat for a Searunner 37, or 12,000 lbs for a Woods' 38' Transit catamaran.

B&B Spindrift 11N
Past Adventures:

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in