Oyster is closing its doors - Page 13 - SailNet Community
 170Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #121 of 312 Old 02-08-2018
Banned

Re: Oyster is closing its doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Have a decent relationship with my yard manager in RI and with the folks in Nanny Key. Also friends shared some of their costs running their boats including summer costs in Grenada/Trinidad So have a sense of costs in New England and Caribbean. Annual budget will run ~ 1 1/2 to 2X current budget. Iím not going around the world. If so would sell the house have Chris White build me a boat and be gone from SN. Iím doing a more limited program of chasing the sun and hopefully a trip across the pond at some point. Still passages are involved.
Just like with monos there are multis designed with passage making in mind and those designed with coastal/charter in mind. We can re-enter the endless argument about this or accept agreement to to disagree. The second category is in reach for me. The first is not without selling off assets. I donít think Iím alone in this. I fully agree the multi segment of the market is hot and will continue to grow. I disagree that the mono segment will wither and die.
My current obstacles are 15-20 year wait for a mooring within hundreds of miles of me. Not purchase expense but annual budget. Boat handling in close quarters without help. I have no interest in the typical Caribbean charter boat for a variety of reasons but mostly due to what I view as inadequacies of construction. Smack please stop showing pics of these unless to further a substantive point.
Out, I found your post above a fairly interesting, though not entirely accurate, read. And I wasn't particularly compelled to respond to it, until the last sentence.

I'm showing pics of catamarans that Mark and I are discussing. I'll continue to do so. If the pics are for some reason upsetting to you, just turn away. It's easy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 312 Old 02-08-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
......Any sense how Hylas is doing?
Not sure financially, but I understand the split with Hylas USA (I may have the exact name wrong, they were just the past exclusive US marketing arm) was/is ugly.

A couple of the Hylas hull designs were jointly developed between Hylas and the US marketing group and there was some sort of royalty agreement with Hylas USA. There are court battles over it, Hylas (Queen Long) terminated the relationship and is either marketing direct or has a new relationship. Not exactly sure. In any event, it's very messy.

Their flagship 70 is one of the designs in dispute and makes me wonder if they can agree to make another or if the courts would jam it up.

I am told by a broker I know that the Hylas 5X models are selling strong. The 63 is a dud.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #123 of 312 Old 02-08-2018
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
Whether cats are better to cruise on or not... the fact remains that the marine "infrastructure" in New England (and maybe the rest of the USA) is geared toward monohulls with narrow beams.
Either that will change over time or these businesses too will fail. The market forces are obvious - hence this thread.

post #124 of 312 Old 02-08-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Is this the LeRouge?
Oh Lord, no. That is an example of an aesthetic abomination to my tastes.

This is a LeRouge:

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Freydis49-27640-setting-sai.jpg  

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"
Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach" - For Sale!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by colemj; 02-08-2018 at 12:06 PM.
post #125 of 312 Old 02-08-2018
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Oh Lord, no. That is an example of an aesthetic abomination to my tastes.

This is a LeRouge:

Mark
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! See, there is no accounting for taste!

As an ex-architect, I alway preferred Saarinen over Le Corbusier - which made me a bit of an outcast.

Of course, even LeCor threw down a Notre Dame du Haut every once in a while after slamming a few bottles of wine.

So none of us are above digging the curves.
post #126 of 312 Old 02-08-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Either that will change over time or these businesses too will fail. The market forces are obvious - hence this thread.
Not so sure about that. Their is a finite amount of waterfront available. Around me it's pretty much full and I don't believe Ontario is alone in that respect. Not only is the waterfront full, but the population continues to increase, meaning less space for each person- population density.

The only way to accommodate twice the beam is to have half the number of sailors paying twice as much. On a whole I see that this could result in more smaller boats rather than fewer bigger boats being at least as likely an outcome.

I agree that ultimately the market will determine the outcome, but I don't necessarily agree that the waterfront that is currently available is going to become available to half as many wealthy oligarchs. Maybe that will happen, but I don't see evidence that we are heading that way in highly populated developed countries.

This isn't Sea Ray or Hobie that is having difficulties, this is Oyster; big luxury boats catering to a small affluent market.

Last edited by Arcb; 02-08-2018 at 12:26 PM.
post #127 of 312 Old 02-08-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
Not so sure about that. Their is a finite amount of waterfront available. Around me it's pretty much full and I don't believe Ontario is alone in that respect. Not only is the waterfront full, but the population continues to increase, meaning less space for each person- population density.

The only way to accommodate twice the beam is to have half the number of sailors paying twice as much. On a whole I see that this could result in more smaller boats rather than fewer bigger boats being at least as likely an outcome.

I agree that ultimately the market will determine the outcome, but I don't necessarily agree that the waterfront that is currently available is going to become available to half as many wealthy oligarchs. Maybe that will happen, but I don't see evidence that we are heading that way in highly populated developed countries.

This isn't Sea Ray or Hobie that is having difficulties, this is Oyster; big luxury boats catering to a small affluent market.
I don't know about that. I can easily see marinas halving the number of berths and tripling or quadrupling the price and being sold out. Small boaters be damned. In fact, there are many areas where just this has happened.

Probably not in Ontario, though.

Mark

post #128 of 312 Old 02-08-2018

I appreciate curves, but prefer them in a Schionning or similar. Like I said, I'm coming around to the more hard styling - particularly because it is functional. It begins to look sillier on smaller boats like a Lagoon 39, but stretched out like a HH66 and it is mouth-watering. On the other hand, it is easy to make a large boat look good. I think the Nautitech Open 40 that you posted struck a good balance, but the Bali 4.5 is awful. The new Leopards missed the mark widely, IMO. The Helia is a bit of a compromise with styling between older and newer, but I think they pulled it off OK. There are a few things about that boat that I don't like, but my limited experience with them is that it is a good overall boat.

But I'm not an architect, or even an architectural enthusiast. I have zero artistic abilities, and no confidence in my opinion in these matters.

Mark
smackdaddy likes this.

post #129 of 312 Old 02-08-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
I don't know about that. I can easily see marinas halving the number of berths and tripling or quadrupling the price and being sold out. Small boaters be damned. In fact, there are many areas where just this has happened.

Probably not in Ontario, though.

Mark
Fair enough. You are right, there could be a difference in perception in Canada because freedom of navigation is enshrined in Federal Law. Water or the land underneath it can't be owned, so any citizen could fight it if access to the water is restricted to a select few, but I acknowledge that isn't the case everywhere.

If anything in recent years federal protection for freedom of navigation in Canada has increased, not decreased.
post #130 of 312 Old 02-08-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
Fair enough. You are right, there could be a difference in perception in Canada because freedom of navigation is enshrined in Federal Law. Water or the land underneath it can't be owned, so any citizen could fight it if access to the water is restricted to a select few, but I acknowledge that isn't the case everywhere.

If anything in recent years federal protection for freedom of navigation in Canada has increased, not decreased.
That wasn't why I thought it wouldn't happen in Ontario. It was more that I don't believe Ontario will ever become a popular place for these types of boats. It just isn't their environment and the logistics are difficult for them - nothing negative at all about Ontario.

But the Florida small boat marina is becoming rare as hen's teeth, and the same is happening in other places. Pretty much wiped out in the Eastern Caribe, and I suspect the Med.

Mark

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in