Oyster is closing its doors - Page 15 - SailNet Community
 170Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #141 of 312 Old 02-08-2018

Re: Oyster is closing its doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
The HH48 is not bad either (though not nearly as sexy as the 65)...

What's really interesting to me about it though is the dual steering...with the dual tiller steering outside...

...and the wheel steering inside...

And that "snake pit" in front of the wheel is also an interesting way to get the linework done in a protected space. That was directly from GunBoat wasn't it?

Anyone have pricing info for these?
They are expensive - all carbon and well-built.

They look like Gun Boats, with the same features, because they are the same design. Gun Boat stiffed M&M, so they took their designs to HH and helped them build them. Might have been the last nail in Gunboat's coffin. HH is doing a much better job than Gun Boat ever did.

Outremer also uses tillers and separate wheel and they have these really sexy and comfortable bucket seats for the tiller, although their wheel is in a more traditional place. Chris White almost pioneered the inside steering, and Mainecat is similar in that regards, although it is more about being an aspect of the overall design than being purposefully placed.

A Balance 526 just dropped anchor near us. That is a very good looking design also.

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"
Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach" - For Sale!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by colemj; 02-08-2018 at 03:06 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to colemj For This Useful Post:
smackdaddy (02-08-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #142 of 312 Old 02-08-2018

Quote:
Okay, Lazer. I'll have to bow out of acknowledging your posts again. It tried. I'm always willing to give a person the benefit of the doubt if they legitimately want to discuss something. But if you keep shifting positions just to argue (like some others around here) - it's just not worth the trouble. My time is more valuable than that.

Actually, you brought it up, as you can't seem to let it go.

I don't breathlessly follow those two bimbos' reality show like you do.

The reality is they were well compensated - it's an advertisement.

Only a fool would take their endorsement seriously.

Maybe next they will motor their boat along the coast of Florida and call it a bluewater passage.
post #143 of 312 Old 02-08-2018

Pictures of the increasing plethora of production cats are of interest to many. To me of more interest is a critique of these offerings beyond simple aesthetics. Would also be quite interested in how to mathematically judge these offerings. Resistance to pitchpoling as is as much an issue as “flipping over”, measures of motion in trying conditions and like measurements hold interest. As interesting as they are may I suggest again they do not belong in this thread. Smack as a gentleman I ask you again rather than divert this thread please start another to pursue this interest of yours,mine and I think others. If it’s just a picture book I’ll glance at it. If substantive I’ll follow it closely just like Paulo’s.
To date I think I can summarize your contribution to the OP as “cats have an increasing market share. This hurt Oyster. Here’s a bunch of pics of cats I like”.
Your point is made. Move on.
I think your point is wrong. Oyster moved away from the under 50’ market long ago. Those buying the boats in your pictures haven’t been the target buyer for Oyster for some years now. Those boats are in the 1/2 to 1 m range. Oysters market is in multiples of that amount. Perhaps those looking in the 1 to 2 m range were a very small segment of targeted Oyster buyers but I seriously doubt that had anything to do with their closure.
So regardless if one accepts your premise or not the pictures add little or nothing to THIS thread. A thread about multis would be fun. Go for it.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

post #144 of 312 Old 02-08-2018

Dock

This thread was more fun when everyone was talking about guns!

Can the Cat Vs Mono brigade grab some M16s and shoot it out somewhere quiet?

Gun Fight at the OK Marina.

chall03 likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #145 of 312 Old 02-08-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
I think your point is wrong. Oyster moved away from the under 50’ market long ago. Those buying the boats in your pictures haven’t been the target buyer for Oyster for some years now. Those boats are in the 1/2 to 1 m range. Oysters market is in multiples of that amount. Perhaps those looking in the 1 to 2 m range were a very small segment of targeted Oyster buyers but I seriously doubt that had anything to do with their closure.
Yes, I made the point that Oyster wasn't being out-marketed by production catamarans in the same way they weren't being out-marketed by Hunter. However, there are many bespoke catamaran designs and builds in the 3-10M range that do compete in the same price, size, and quality market with Oyster. The general fascination with catamarans at the present time is fully up and down the market, and very well could have drawn interest away from Oyster.

Mark
outbound likes this.

post #146 of 312 Old 02-08-2018
Land lubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
This thread was more fun when everyone was talking about guns!

Can the Cat Vs Mono brigade grab some M16s and shoot it out somewhere quiet?

Gun Fight at the OK Marina.

You need a tax stamp to legally use a suppressor here in the US. Most folks don't have one, it is likely to be a loud shootout.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.
post #147 of 312 Old 02-08-2018 Thread Starter
Picnic Sailor

Quote:
Definitely blue water BTW.
Capetown to Brisbane Nonstop. Yeah thats a big nasty ass bit of water.

According to the comments they were towing a 300 ft warp with a bight on the end.

I must admit part of my trepidation in considering a Cat is the learning curve involved in sailing on one.

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

post #148 of 312 Old 02-08-2018
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chall03 View Post
Capetown to Brisbane Nonstop. Yeah thats a big nasty ass bit of water.

According to the comments they were towing a 300 ft warp with a bight on the end.

I must admit part of my trepidation in considering a Cat is the learning curve involved in sailing on one.
I totally agree Chall. Same here. I've kind of reached the pinnacle of sailing ability in monos (short of professional ocean racing, of course) and now I'm going to have to start over!

It's cool though. There's just too much going for them for me not to go this multi route.
post #149 of 312 Old 02-08-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by chall03 View Post
There really isn't a learning curve. That old saw is way over-stated. The sails are trimmed the same if you have any experience with a large roach full batten sail on a mono. The rigs are fractional, but if you have experience with mono fractional rigs they are the same. After a bit of time sailing one, it actually speaks to you when it needs to be de-powered. Not as loudly as a monohull, but it is not true that you have to pay slavish attention to instruments, etc - you will know in the seat of your pants because weather helm increases and the boat just feels overpowered even though it doesn't heel (actually, you will become tuned to the 2* difference in heel between normal and overpowered).

The rest of the "learning" is pretty basic - reef to gusts rather than average speed, let the boat have a bit of head right before a tack if you have been pinching, and overstate the tack a bit to let it regain speed before heading up tight again, enjoy a good meal, hot shower, and rest in a big bed on every passage, and giggle when you are running downwind in good seas like a train on tracks.

The most difficult thing to learn is to not jam them full of stuff. We still are beginners at that...

Mark
chall03 and smackdaddy like this.

post #150 of 312 Old 02-08-2018

Any reason for spamming this thread with unrelated material, or should we speculate?

Last edited by Arcb; 02-08-2018 at 08:59 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in