Oyster is closing its doors - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 170Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 312 Old 02-07-2018

Re: Oyster is closing its doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianjoub View Post
This comment is not directed at you:

Most people with money have it because they are smart. Smart people often make decisions that seem foolish to poor people.

I just spent $30,000 on a rifle.
Actually, no. Most people with the sort of money to drop millions of it on an Oyster have it because they were born advantaged, luckily enough. Most people who have the sort of money to buy the other 99.5% of boats are smart, as they were able to make a more meager basis work for them without that sort of cosmic luck. Sure, you have a silicon valley billionaire here and there...but the myth of the "self made man" has always been a comically rare occurrence.

Smart people routinely make decisions that are objectively foolish, just like anyone else.

Bragging on a message board about dropping 30 grand on a rifle isn't something that's going to support the notion of conflating wealth and intelligence.

But what do I know? I'm only an astronaut who moonlights as a brain surgeon when not doing kegstands while wearing a Chinese-made MAGA hat.
chrismac47 and CrispyCringle like this.

"Freedom is the increased knowledge of what you can do without." —Thoreau
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 312 Old 02-07-2018

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by chall03 View Post
In recent years they haven't really built a boat smaller than 60ft with most in the 70-100 ft range.
Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
This might be another sign that the monstrous 'roomarans' are where the bigger bucks boating market is heading. They certainly have a luxury level that far exceeds any monohull when you get to the 70 foot plus range. I've even seen circular staircases
Yes I think this has been their fundimental error.
They haven't been able to compete in the smaller ranges so gave had to creep bigger.
But a inherant failing of a mono hull is you can't see out from the saloon like you can on a catamaran.

The Caribbean is full of cats now. The majority of new builds?

My next boat will be a cat.

Oysters other problem was they were not builders. They had yards l over the world beuiding for them. Remember that insane time they were doibg the 53 in New Zealand? But the 55 was being done somewhere else, like Turkey?

Beneteau/CNB/Janeau/Lagoon has shown you need a production line like Henry Ford.

Very surprising to see oyster go down. Very.

Oh, the ice maker on one I saw was undrr the stairs next to the mast compression post. You needed to get down on your knees to get ice for your cocktail! They weren't as good as some thought.
smackdaddy likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go

And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #23 of 312 Old 02-07-2018

For the poster who posted the pic of the sinking boat, damage control featuures aren't a gaurantee, they just improve your odds. They are another layer in the proverbial onion.

Its possible to sink nearly any boat.

Last edited by Arcb; 02-07-2018 at 06:52 AM.

post #24 of 312 Old 02-07-2018 Thread Starter
Picnic Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
For the poster who posted the pic of the sinking boat, damage control featuures aren't a gaurantee, they just improve your odds. They are another layer in the proverbial onion.

I think the point is more that in this case, that specific yacht sinking has played an unfortunate role in the demise of Oyster yachts.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #25 of 312 Old 02-07-2018
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Husbands won't "miss their sailing" on cats. No one has to miss "sailing" on a cat. What exactly do you think cruising cats do out there?

Apart from that - you're right. The new boat market is definitely shifting toward multihulls...for more space, more "luxury", and better sailing.
Have you even seen a 70 foot plus cat? Obviously fracking not or you wouldn't make such a ridiculous post. They are about as far from a cruising boat as a mega-motor yacht. They are huge luxurious vessels with circular staircases, galleys for the "real" chef to create gourmet meals, walk in freezers, bars on every deck and most have hot tubs for 8 or ten people. I've never seen any of that on a "cruising" boat, have you?
At 70+ feet you are kinda leaving the "cruising" boat idea for most folks, monohull or catamaran. I've seen very very few 65 foot plus family or retired couple cruisers.
But hey, if you've got the bucks to buy a 70 foot luxury roomaran and go cruise it, then I'll owe you an apology. Otherwise....

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #26 of 312 Old 02-07-2018
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
Even the "unsinkable" Titanic, it seems. LOL

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #27 of 312 Old 02-07-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by chall03 View Post
I think the point is more that in this case, that specific yacht sinking has played an unfortunate role in the demise of Oyster yachts.
Maybe, but two posters had already made that point and I don't see why my comments about compartmentalisation being a favourable feature for high latitude expedition sailors was quoted. Oyster did appear to be targeting that niche (based on their own marketing material).

My point was, for that kind of work (Greenland, Northwest Passage, Labrador Sea etc.) aluminum boats are maybe becoming more popular due to abrasion resistance and improved construction quality. The increase in popularity in aluminum boats might be impacting any fibreglass boats ability to compete in icey markets.
post #28 of 312 Old 02-07-2018

Best I can tell, any fiberglass boat that rams an iceberg and stays afloat long enough for rescue, has done a damn good job. I'll take one of those! There's a pretty famous steel boat that couldn't......

I don't think the 2010 article posted has anything to do with Oyster's demise, nor rebuts their expedition seaworthiness. The more recent 80 footer that lost her keel might be. It seems it was a manufacturing flaw. Could be they lost their product liability insurance coverage, or it became so expensive, building the boats wasn't profitable.
JimMcGee likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #29 of 312 Old 02-07-2018

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Even the "unsinkable" Titanic, it seems. LOL

I call BS!

The Titanic never really sank! I saw the movie.
Its just in another dimension with the USS Enterprise fighting World War II.
chall03 and capta like this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go

And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #30 of 312 Old 02-07-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
I call BS!

The Titanic never really sank! I saw the movie.
Its just in another dimension with the USS Enterprise fighting World War II.
"He's gone crazy!
I've seen this before!
Grab his tongue.
Shove a stick in his mouth!"....... Cap'n Ron
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in