Oyster is closing its doors - Page 5 - SailNet Community
 170Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 312 Old 02-07-2018

Dock
Re: Oyster is closing its doors

How did this turn into both a gun thread and a mono V catamaran thread?

I think SmackDaddy is talking different 70 ft cats than CaptA is.

Necker Belle was Richard Bransons floating catamaran gin Palace with sails rarely used, and there's plenty of those in the Caribbean.... But also there's plenty of large go fast hi twch cats like Gun boats that went bust last year.

I have several friends in plus 55 ft cats that have them cruising just for the speed. They love the +20 knots sailing the Caribbean where I think it's just too fast to enjoy the water.

So there are 2 types, fast and luxurious... And they are both a growing segment notwithstanding Gun boats demise.

I just like the 42 footers with a room with a view and a huge patio out back...
capecodda likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go

And they'll turn it down for the cell they know

Last edited by MarkofSeaLife; 02-07-2018 at 10:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 312 Old 02-07-2018
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
I just like the 42 footers with a room with a view and a huge patio out back...
I'm with you there. That's my personal sweetspot in my next boat as well.

As for what Capta was referring to, I have no idea what a "roomaran" is so I was just going by his "70' plus cat" definition.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 02-07-2018 at 10:47 AM.
post #43 of 312 Old 02-07-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
Respectfully disagree. I would choose a catamaran or a mono partially based on damage control features.

Agree, somebody who has never experienced a vessel in the process of sinking might not consider this, but lots of people would.
I didn't comment on what you would personally choose as features; I just commented on your statement that people choose catamarans on these features. We own a catamaran, and are personal friends with dozens of other catamaran owners, and know exactly why we and others chose a catamaran.

Like I said, the compartmentalization and redundancy things are great features after the fact, but are not at all driving features (or even part of the equation) when considering moving to a catamaran.

If they were, nobody at all would be buying monohulls, and everyone with one would be looking for the fastest way out of it.

Mark

Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #44 of 312 Old 02-07-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianjoub View Post
For me, it is a toy. I will do some target shooting and use it as a decoration in my home.

It is a sniper rifle. I hope I never need to use it for its intended purpose. It is good for long range shooting, in excess of 1 mile. I purchased a bunch of API rounds (armor piercing incendiary), which go through almost anything. They will go through 1/2" plate steel like it is cardboard. The night vision optics are for shooting in the dark.
Where on earth do you live that would lead you to think you need a .50 calibre sniper rifle???
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Vindö 50

Last edited by copacabana; 02-07-2018 at 11:35 AM.
post #45 of 312 Old 02-07-2018

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post

As for what Capta was referring to, I have no idea what a "roomaran" is so I was just going by his "70' plus cat" definition.

It's this type of expensive junk pile that's now for sale at the same price as an oyster 60.

No wonder oyster went broke!

https://www.burgessyachts.com/en/sal...-00000955.html

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go

And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #46 of 312 Old 02-07-2018
Land lubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by copacabana View Post
Where on earth do you live that would lead you to think you need a .50 calibre sniper rifle???
I live in Florida, USA. Need is not the case. It is a want. After all, who needs a 600 hp car? Many people want and have them.
Towguy likes this.
post #47 of 312 Old 02-07-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post

Like I said, the compartmentalization and redundancy things are great features after the fact, but are not at all driving features (or even part of the equation) when considering moving to a catamaran.
For you, or your friends. But it would be a factor for me and many of my friends.

The same as some people are willing to pay top $ for boats like Oysters and Etaps because of additional safety features. Others don't care and some don't know the difference.

That's why I said partially responsible rather than driving force.

I can pretty well gaurantee cats wouldn't be as popular as they are if they were sinking left right and centre, but they are not, which is partially due to damage control features inherent to their design.

Last edited by Arcb; 02-07-2018 at 12:26 PM.
post #48 of 312 Old 02-07-2018

If with you ,Ian, It won't be long before you need it to protect your high ground enclave from the masses wading ashore from their grounded monohulls. (how's that for drift)
ianjoub likes this.

Last edited by Capt Len; 02-07-2018 at 12:30 PM.
post #49 of 312 Old 02-07-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Holy crap - that's a sobering comparison. Monos are quickly becoming the horse-drawn carriage of yachting.
Does anyone have any stats on what percentage cats make up of the new boat market? I'm not talking about Hobies here, but the equivalent of a keel boat. Smack, you're my go-to-guy for industry statistics; do you know?

I don't doubt those of you have seen first hand more cats in the Caribbean or cruising "out there". But here on Long Island Sound, a cat is still a rare animal. There are none in my marina, nor do I recall seeing any in any of the other nearby marinas or yacht clubs. And I've been to Block Island, Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket, all recently, and I can't recall seeing any catamarans there. None. I have to believe we aren't soooo far behind the rest of the boat-buying world that a trend as strong as what Smack suggests wouldn't be at least making some headway here.

Is this a regional trend? Mostly found in the charter fleet? What are the facts?
oysterman23 likes this.
post #50 of 312 Old 02-07-2018

In my sailing grounds in the N'East you don't see many cats, mostly monohulls.
sailforlife likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in