Another newbe sank their boat - Page 11 - SailNet Community
 264Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #101 of 286 Old 02-13-2018

Re: Another newbe sank their boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
Actually this rubbish has no place on this forum. The who crowd sourced funding for your project is quite creepy to me. Yes there are people who will pay to support content production.. or pay to see a movie... This is not actually new.

But why feature a couple of narcissistic slackers? Why give them a platform? And why would competent sailors... presumably those on this site and those if they are not yet aspire to competence want to look at this mess? Is this a lesson such as what not to do? I don't think there is a lesson there for 99.99% of sailnet members... except the notion that it's possible to get others to pay for your pleasure.
Vicarious living.

"Freedom is the increased knowledge of what you can do without." —Thoreau
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 286 Old 02-13-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
Here is some value for your purchase. I got you covered - But, you owe us a report of what's actually in these videos ('cause I ain't watchin' em)
Sailing Miss Lone Star is actually the most depressing example, considering that she's got kid(?s) that are being left behind so she can play. She's only got a limited amount of time where people are going to want to look at her through a camera lens. Time makes fools of us all.
sailingfool and SanderO like this.

"Freedom is the increased knowledge of what you can do without." —Thoreau
post #103 of 286 Old 02-13-2018

Some have a head start. Learning which herd you're in is the secret

post #104 of 286 Old 02-13-2018
Captain Obvious

Well you can hear about it from the owners themselves -

Arcb likes this.

Sal Paradise - Armchair Circumnavigator

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger
post #105 of 286 Old 02-14-2018

Less than a week since the accident and they are at over 14k in "help", when they started out with 10K? Where is the "hard lesson" here? They started off in their adventure ill prepared and the lesson seems to be that its not a problem. Screw up and in a week start to look for a bigger better boat. If this happened to me I would consider it catastrophic and I would start looking for work. I must be getting old because what they've done sounds really lame to me. Id be pissed if my kids told me they did something like this.

eherlihy, chef2sail and mbianka like this.

Last edited by CrispyCringle; 02-14-2018 at 02:18 PM.
post #106 of 286 Old 02-14-2018

I was reminded of another example from a few years ago when some inexperienced youth take the helm of a beautiful boat. Which ended up being scrapped.
SOUNDBOUNDER: Ashore On Fire Island
"it appears that while the owner of the vessel was in South America, his 19 year-old son and two friends decided to sail the boat north to Maine. They narrowly avoided disaster from a light grounding at Absecon Inlet, New Jersey, before landing hard on Fire Island days later. There was no one keeping watch!
Le Papillon has sailed over 80,000 nautical miles, including a circumnavigation, and three passages to Europe. There is no insurance coverage for this incident. As each day passes, her chances of being saved grow dimmer."

Mike
Currently: Hunkering down for a bit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #107 of 286 Old 02-14-2018
Learning the HARD way...

[rant=on
The fact that these two have raised over $15K toward a $10K goal in 5 days from their ill-planned, and ill-equipped voyage really cheeses me. IMHO if these two wanted to stop paying rent and sail away the place to begin would be to LEARN TO SAIL. Part of learning to sail is learning to navigate. Part of being a responsible boat owner is obtaining insurance.

There are MANY other GoFundMe campaigns that are more deserving than these two. One example: I have a good friend, whose step-daughter was misdiagnosed with an auto-immune disease 20 years ago. Long story short, she was treated for Fibromyalgia which continued to incapacitate her to the point where she could no longer work. Her illness continued to progress, despite the care she received, to the point where she became unable to speak and wheelchair bound. Recently the reason for her worsening condition was discovered. After a full IGeneX DNA blood panel it was discovered that she was actually infected with, and dealing with complications from, Lyme Disease for 20 years!

She has a go fund me page, but not the publicity that these two have. In 3 months Heather has raised $13K toward a $100K goal to help her family cope with the medical bills ($25K-$30K per treatment) and child care. Her full story is here: http://www.gofundme.com/HelpHeatherFightLyme

If you are able and feeling charitable I hope that you'll consider donating to one of the GoFundMe campaigns for people that, through no fault of their own, have suffered a bad turn of events and could really use a helping hand and NOT to people that feel entitled to just "live the dream" on your dime.

[rant=off

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, US/Sailing BKB and ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also ABYC certified in Marine Electrical Systems,

Last edited by eherlihy; 02-15-2018 at 11:14 AM. Reason: clarity
post #108 of 286 Old 02-14-2018

I'll agree that the whole go fund me thing seems a bit off...but someone is ponying up cash.

Are there that many people who want to live vicariously through someone else???

Currently Boatless

The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective." - Henry David Thoreau
post #109 of 286 Old 02-14-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post

Are there that many people who want to live vicariously through someone else???
I suspect there are more Youtube sailors then actual sailors.

Speaking of Youtube, these folks might be joining La Vagabonde in the new catamaran department if things keep going. I see they are up to $15550 now.
post #110 of 286 Old 02-14-2018

Since the Internet, and now social media, the voices are 1000x? what we were used to, and the average age of these public voices is 25-30 younger.

A different world in exposure to 'information'.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in