Another newbe sank their boat - Page 12 - SailNet Community
 264Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #111 of 286 Old 02-14-2018

Re: Another newbe sank their boat

Columbia built a good boat... but with the early boats the 28 had a bolt on skeg keel. I suspect from what I read it sounds like when they hit the sandbar they lost the keel and capsized... probably rusted carriage bolts. They should thank God that it happened here than in the open ocean.
Sal Paradise likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #112 of 286 Old 02-14-2018

I watched the interview, interesting. So it was his idea to go sailing andd she wasnt that into it. Apparently she stumbled into a couple of Youtube videos and they sold her on the lifestyle. I have never been able to get through an episode of the La Vagabonde one, but I have seen a few episodes of Delos. Neither of those sailing lifestyle vlogs have anything what so ever to do with the realities of living poor on a late 60's Columbia 28 in West Florida, might have learned as much by watching reruns of Gilligans Island.

The video seems to comfirm there was no significant singular impact, they grounded slowly on a sand bar and got pounded on the sand bar by the surf a bit, when they were rescued by seatow, the boat was still upright, the photo was of the boat the next day after 12+ hours of working on the Sandbar. It sounds like the keel might have come off some time overnight. So the sinking may or may not have been directly related to losing the keel.

Both she and the interviewer were pleased with the Walker Bay surviving, cant blame them, it was the very first thing I noticed when I first saw the pics. Sailing my WB8 was what got me back into dinghy sailing after more than a long time of sailing bigger keel boats. Theyre fun little boats.
Sal Paradise likes this.

Last edited by Arcb; 02-15-2018 at 05:19 AM.
post #113 of 286 Old 02-15-2018

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Go fund me.....

They should pay for an environmental mitigation and any CG costs . Then donate the money to someone needy.
Gofundme is great for worthy causes.

I can’t support contributing to a welfare situation of this couple who wishes to live off of others to avoid working like most people do for their dream

I won’t even address the entering an unknown unfamiliar inlet at night with no experience and a piece of electronic equipment to guide them. I have no tolerance for people who put others in danger to potentially rescue them when if they had exercised common sense it wouldn’t happen.

Kinda like I bought a boat, want to outfit it....don’t know how.....won’t even research it...have never sailed it ..but I will cross the Carribean and Pacific in two years. My experience...well I took a couple of ASA courses.
And I stayed in a Holiday Inn������

Ok small rant is over
SanderO and boatpoker like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ďSailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.Ē- Dennis Conner

post #114 of 286 Old 02-15-2018

It's really not welfare. It's not as though anyone is paying involuntarily. This is just people who've got enough money to cheerfully toss it away to someone less fortunate, entirely voluntarily.

People can do whatever they want with their own money. Not for me to judge. Will I pay? Nope. If they start making kickass content and can build a little business out of it later on, great. That's something I'd be more willing to dip into my latte fund to support. Because I'm getting something in return.

Though I suppose those who are contributing to this get a warm feeling or something.
boatpoker likes this.

"Freedom is the increased knowledge of what you can do without." óThoreau
The Following User Says Thank You to amwbox For This Useful Post:
john61ct (02-15-2018)
post #115 of 286 Old 02-15-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by amwbox View Post
It's really not welfare. It's not as though anyone is paying involuntarily. This is just people who've got enough money to cheerfully toss it away to someone less fortunate, entirely voluntarily.

People can do whatever they want with their own money. Not for me to judge. Will I pay? Nope. If they start making kickass content and can build a little business out of it later on, great. That's something I'd be more willing to dip into my latte fund to support. Because I'm getting something in return.

Though I suppose those who are contributing to this get a warm feeling or something.
There are many problems with this whole thing.

I personally don't care if people kill themselves with intent of as a result of their own stupid. IN this day and age anyone can learn about risks of ANYTHING and this SHOULD inform this behavior.

YES people can do whatever they want to with their money. However this doesn't make it RIGHT.

These jerks endanger the lives of those who have to rescue them and leave a piece of junk in water as a hazard. They didn't pay for their rescue...but in this case they should because they showed wanton disregard for sensible behavior on the sea in coastal waters.

This is a perfect example of a downside to accessible vlog and vlogging. While they can inform... they also can mislead and encourage dumb people to do dangerous thing and endanger the lives of others. And the crowd source funding while it can be a positive thing.... it can also enable dumb.

There is little that will change or can be done about this as we cherish our freedoms at times more than sensible socially conscious behavior. This is feeding the growing disease of selfishness, narcissism, exhibitionism and the over blown need for "self expression".

Who ever expected something as beautiful and socially conscious, environmentally aware as sailing would be perverted by modern technology? This is a perfect example.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #116 of 286 Old 02-15-2018

I also will never contribute to these types of GOFUNDMEs but agree it is each persons right to spend their money like they wish. I personally would rather contribute to my dream and not live vicariously through theirs.

I also agree they should and hopefully will have to take full responsibility for their current boat. Everything has a down side but lots of younger people seem to live with the idea that the down side can just be side stepped or ignored. I hope this is an example for taking and being responsible for your decisions.
mbianka likes this.
post #117 of 286 Old 02-15-2018

Based on the interview, it sounds like they did pay for their rescue. If I understand the sequence correctly:

-Deart 4pm (this part maybe wasn't the most well thought out).

-arrive at John's Pass just after dark, I think they somehow missed the channel.

-grounded at slow speed, light wind but it sounds like a bit of a swell. They called Sea Tow (commercial salvage).

-boat got beat up while waiting for sea tow, sounds like it was bottoming out in troughs and rolling pretty bad, took on a bunch of water.

-Salvage arrives, guy wants to save the boat, but salvage guy sees it asalost cause and recommends they abandon- which they do, boat is upright but swamped at this time (water above the engine).

-sleep it off in a hotel, then go back out with commercial salvage to again try to save the boat, arrive at boat to find her laying on her side, presumably with no keel, dinghy merrily swaying at anchor.

- then the fundmyboating starts, but to their credit, they have already tried to salvage the boat twice at this time.
post #118 of 286 Old 02-15-2018

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
There are many problems with this whole thing.

I personally don't care if people kill themselves with intent of as a result of their own stupid. IN this day and age anyone can learn about risks of ANYTHING and this SHOULD inform this behavior.

YES people can do whatever they want to with their money. However this doesn't make it RIGHT.

These jerks endanger the lives of those who have to rescue them and leave a piece of junk in water as a hazard. They didn't pay for their rescue...but in this case they should because they showed wanton disregard for sensible behavior on the sea in coastal waters.

This is a perfect example of a downside to accessible vlog and vlogging. While they can inform... they also can mislead and encourage dumb people to do dangerous thing and endanger the lives of others. And the crowd source funding while it can be a positive thing.... it can also enable dumb.

There is little that will change or can be done about this as we cherish our freedoms at times more than sensible socially conscious behavior. This is feeding the growing disease of selfishness, narcissism, exhibitionism and the over blown need for "self expression".

Who ever expected something as beautiful and socially conscious, environmentally aware as sailing would be perverted by modern technology? This is a perfect example.

Well said. Best Rant yet

I must be too cautious. Iíve sailed for over 50 years now ( canít beleive I am saying that). I raced Hobies nationally in my teens/ 20s. Sailed across the Atlantic twice and the Carribean countless times before I ever owned my first keelboat. SAFETY was always emphasized to me by my mentors . I tried to never endanger myself and NEVER endanger others by my actions. The more experience I got sailing, the more I recognized that I needed to keep learning. You can get in trouble in the Chesapeake or LI Sound as easily as offshore. Inlets present done of the greatest dangers to a sailboat.

Nowhere in that did I ever believe I could by a 30 ft plus keelboat and just sailnit without consequences. No where in that did I ever believe I could get experience enough on the Internet or in an ASA sailing class. Learning intellectually is one thing but experience comes from repetition.

I laugh when rooks come on here and have bought a boat but obviously they donít know what they are doing except when it endangers others. I and others here gladly impart our mentoring experience to ones who really want to listen, unfortunately many times when our advice doesnít fit in with their agenda they hear nothing. Fueled by internet vlogs and their own adrenaline they carry forward. Right now we have a multi poster headed in that direction. No way do I want to dampen his enthusiasm but nor do I want to feed into his direction as it may influence others to take this same approach. Some of the posts even make me question whether he is pulling our chain and just egging us on in a trolling way.

How on earth can you buy a Tartan 37 , throw a stream of consciousness amount of new fixes into it, have done so little research on their own into basic areas that the questions seem questionable and never have even sailed the boat. Or for that matter the total experience in sailing is a few ASA classes. And the goal is to move aboard soon and sail the Atlantic .

Yes you can do what you want with your money, yes you can do what you want with others who want to throw their money away at you,

I donít care as long as you donít call me or what I pay for ( CG) to bail you out when you find out you didnít have enough experience. I guess this is where Darwin takes over?
SanderO and mbianka like this.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

ďSailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.Ē- Dennis Conner
post #119 of 286 Old 02-15-2018
Land lubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
I donít care as long as you donít call me or what I pay for ( CG) to bail you out
How is this any different from people who don't want all these cops, but others don't want the responsibility of owning and carrying firearms?

How is this any different than people not wanting to buy food, housing, and medical care for others who are unwilling or incapable of providing it for themselves?

Either you want and support the nanny state or you don't. Where do you stand on this issue???
post #120 of 286 Old 02-15-2018
Captain Obvious

Why does anyone have to explain to you, things you should already know as a " real man" ?

Ok here goes - Someones' keel fell off and no one give a rat's a$$ about your libertarian political crap.
amwbox and Lazerbrains like this.

Sal Paradise - Armchair Circumnavigator

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in