Another newbe sank their boat - Page 16 - SailNet Community
 264Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #151 of 286 Old 02-17-2018

Re: Another newbe sank their boat

Chef2Sail - What the Presidents First Responders deal with will unnerve any who are not fully prepared (as if you really can ever really be prepared 100%). What friends who were on the team sent to Haiti went through was horrific beyond polite conversation.

Being the first to respond to an accident, fire, person with a health issue is quite different from being an official First Responder (Many times an unpaid volunteer who without compensation goes into a known dangerous situation where the regular governing authority for the area can't cope with the situation).

While I can understand the humor intended I really don't appreciate seeing coroners type hearses with "Last Responder" painted artfully on them. That's just wrong.

Someone doing CPR to "Another One Bites the Dust" instead of the more acceptable "Staying Alive" also ranks up there.

Last edited by SeaStar58; 02-17-2018 at 01:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 286 Old 02-17-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiedawg View Post
Yeah this is the only part of the story I care at all about.

I pass no judgements whatsoever on the two kids. Less prepared people have cut the lines and lived the dream successfully.

But they made an expensive mess on my beach, and I don't want to pay for it. If they clean up after themselves, I will think no ill of them. If they don't, hopefully the treehuggernazis in the .gov will actually do something productive for once, and go after them and their now $16000 GFM loot.
Abandoned boats have become a blight here that is for sure. Places where this happens with high frequency are become Islands of Abandoned Boats and it has become very costly to clean them up especially those with inboards with oil and diesel or gasoline in them. In some areas crews are going out with Officers to get Certificates of Compliance written up on those where they can't identify the owner of record and then they are either awarded to the one who reported them as their titled property, sold at auction or winched to shore cut up by a crew armed with chainsaws to be bagged up and carted off in a trash barge.
post #153 of 286 Old 02-17-2018

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
To me, a hero is someone who is risking their own life to protect another. Every cop, every firefighter, every soldier.
If every soldier, firefighter, ambo, is a hero what do you call a soldier who gets the US Medal of Honor?

What do you call a fireman who gets the Public Safety Officer Medal of Valor?

Or someone who gets the Presidential Medal of Freedom?

If every one in uniform is a hero then describe this person: Fallen Sergeant Robert Wilson III (Philadelphia Police Department, PA) for giving his life to protect innocent civilians. Sergeant Wilson put himself in harmís way during an armed robbery, drawing fire from the assailants and suffering a mortal wound as he kept store employees and customers safe.

A hero is not a normal person doing their duty. A hero is a person who does a selfless act of courage far above and beyond their duty.

☺️
dixiedawg likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know

post #154 of 286 Old 02-17-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
If every soldier, firefighter, ambo, is a hero what do you call a soldier who gets the US Medal of Honor?

What do you call a fireman who gets the Public Safety Officer Medal of Valor?

Or someone who gets the Presidential Medal of Freedom?

If every one in uniform is a hero then describe this person: Fallen Sergeant Robert Wilson III (Philadelphia Police Department, PA) for giving his life to protect innocent civilians. Sergeant Wilson put himself in harm’s way during an armed robbery, drawing fire from the assailants and suffering a mortal wound as he kept store employees and customers safe.

A hero is not a normal person doing their duty. A hero is a person who does a selfless act of courage far above and beyond their duty.

☺️
I do think that we have experienced a LOT of "grade inflation" when it comes to terms like hero, and though I assume most of it is well meaning, it unintentionally does a disservice to REAL heroes who have voluntarily put their own welfare or even their own life, at great risk to benefit others. It's gotten so that the word hero is often used just to make someone feel good for doing just what is expected of them even when they were in no real danger, and it's especially overused in professional sports where the supposed "hero" is paid more in a week than most of us will see in a lifetime, and the biggest risk he encountered was a sprained ankle (fully insured, of course).

But to me, rather than a title, the term "first responder" is a descriptive one that applies to all those who arrive at emergency situations and attempt to help those in need , often in disregard to the possibility that the dangerous situation is not yet fully neutralized. Usually, but not always, first responders are there in some official capacity such as fireman, ambulance crew, police officer, marine patrol, Coast Guard, etc. but not all firemen or police are first responders. Only very occasionally a first responder will do something that I would actually call heroic, but I consider all of those whose job description or own personal code requires them to rush in to help out when others are rushing to get away from the danger or unpleasantness that exists to be people worthy of more admiration and respect than most are.

You're right that the definition of many terms such as these vary as you travel and cross physical or ethnic borders or are translated into another language, but I think we all know a heroic action when we see one, and when something bad happens, we can see who the first responders are, and aren't, no matter what uniform they have on.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.
post #155 of 286 Old 02-17-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
A Medal of Honor recipient. I've met more than one. They never want to be called heroes. Most were scared to death and acting on auto pilot.

Quote:
A hero is not a normal person doing their duty.
I get your point on their being varying degrees. However, rushing into a burning building for a living is heroic in my book. Most would helplessly watch it burn and risk the entire neighborhood. I don't care if they get a medal for it. In fact, stopping a speeding car on a lonely highway at night and walking up to it, with the demonstrable risk of being shot, is heroic. Who else would take a job, with a risk like that? There have been cops randomly shot, while sitting in their car. It's heroic to take the job, IMO. But, I get your point about degree. As stated, I don't think heart surgeons or athletes are heroes. Some are role models, but few are even that anymore.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #156 of 286 Old 02-17-2018

The hero word is over used and unnecessary. Some people are extremely selfless and knowingly risk their own safety of life to save another. This is very noble and laudable. Some professional involve risk AND are helping professions... police, fire, rescue. Doctors and nurses... aside from those in war are generally not at risk of their lives.

It's also a bit insane to give up your life to save another... but parents will do things like this.

this is all off topic...

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #157 of 286 Old 02-17-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
It's also a bit insane to give up your life to save another... ...
Is this a personal feeling you have or something taught?
post #158 of 286 Old 02-17-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisteredUser View Post
Is this a personal feeling you have or something taught?
taught? What kind of a question is that? And why does it matter to you?

post #159 of 286 Old 02-17-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
taught? What kind of a question is that? And why does it matter to you?
I didn't know if this is being 'teached' now to people..or if it was just a personal conviction.
Seemed a bit unusual, so I asked....
Simple curiosity

Last edited by RegisteredUser; 02-17-2018 at 04:49 PM.
post #160 of 286 Old 02-17-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisteredUser View Post
I didn't know if this is being 'teached' now to people..or if it was just a personal conviction.
Seemed a bit unusual, so I asked....
Simple curiosity
I am not motivated to do heroic things. I am motivated to be considerate, helpful and respectful of other human beings.

About you registered user... were you taught to be a hero?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in