Another newbe sank their boat - Page 6 - SailNet Community
 264Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 286 Old 02-12-2018

Re: Another newbe sank their boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
You don't understand. In school they were taught everyone gets a medal. No one ever loses and your dreams always come true. Besides You Tube videos show how easy it is to sail. Who needs experience? NIKE says: "Just do it!"
This is probably a down side to these vlogs of sailing through paradise. Who is going to vlog their disasters large or small... Who vlogs their mistakes? How many vlog foggy, rainy weather... or T storms or gales? How many vlog the hours of maintenance? or the boredom waiting in doldrums?

Admittedly sailing in the Caribe from my experience is pretty easy for a number of reasons... and why people are drawn to it in addition to the lovely weather.

I rarely watch these vlogs...

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 286 Old 02-12-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
......Who is going to vlog their disasters large or small... Who vlogs their mistakes? How many vlog foggy, rainy weather... or T storms or gales? How many vlog the hours of maintenance? or the boredom waiting in doldrums?

I rarely watch these vlogs...
s/v Delos has vlogged each of these. Half the crew puking, engines and generators not running, blew out a sail, no sleep in a rocking boat, becalmed near the equator, repeated knock overs in the Indian Ocean. I think they have the best balance of keeping it real, seeing the world, making friends, moving on. I've never held it against them that the women are wearing bikinis in the tropics. However, I will admit there is a touch of gratuitous skin from time to time, but little more than prime time TV these days. It's just not the majority of what they do.

Odd that you'd draw a conclusion, if you admittedly don't watch vlogs enough to know.
mbianka, ThereYouAre and jpbronco like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #53 of 286 Old 02-12-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
s/v Delos has vlogged each of these. Half the crew puking, engines and generators not running, blew out a sail, no sleep in a rocking boat, becalmed near the equator, repeated knock overs in the Indian Ocean. I think they have the best balance of keeping it real, seeing the world, making friends, moving on. I've never held it against them that the women are wearing bikinis in the tropics. However, I will admit there is a touch of gratuitous skin from time to time, but little more than prime time TV these days. It's just not the majority of what they do.

Odd that you'd draw a conclusion, if you admittedly don't watch vlogs enough to know.
I am not criticizing every vlog out there... I don't think I need to see them all or lots of them to have a reliable idea of what these vlogs are about. What I have seen share many attributes so I conclude these are attributes of most vlogs. Of course this could be incorrect because my sample space is small.

If I am going to watch vlogs... my interest would be in technical "how to" sort of stuff... I like beauty... but I've passed my adolescence and have not much need to oggle women 1/3 my age doing what they do... exhibit. Of course sailing in hot climates... wearing little makes sense. So I have concluded that there is little content to inform my need related to sailing. It's that simple.

When I was cruising out there I did have some cruising guides and I suppose that these are being replaced by video versions. That's fine too. I am not there.
boatpoker and mbianka like this.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

post #54 of 286 Old 02-12-2018

Quote:
While I would acknowledge we don't necessarily have all the facts here and maybe there is a factor that drove this poor judgement, I just can't get there otherwise.

Sailing requires a certain degree of inherent concern for what can go wrong. You have it or you don't. Some people just don't have common sense and always remain behind the curve.

An unfamiliar shallow passage at night. I would have never tried that at any age.
How about youth and inexperience and the common belief at that age that you're almost bulletproof? Now that I'm older, I shudder to think of some of the things I used to do in my 20's...and even into my 30's. I think you're right that some people never develop good judgment but quite a few do and hopefully this sinking is just the wake-up call they needed to realize that they need to educate themselves about more than a few things before setting out once again. All we can do is hope.

We are discussing this story from our perspective as experienced boaters but many millions of others have also been made aware of this story. I noticed a link to it on my local Maine newspapers website as well as on Drudge. So a gofundme site is set up and this young and clueless couple will be made whole financially in very short order and can once again set out to sea without having to go through the process of reflecting on what they did wrong and learning the things they need to learn in order to avoid similar, easily avoidable mishaps in the future. I'm afraid that these well intended gofundme donators are unwittingly creating a situation that will lead this young couple to their demise. But there's nothing we can do about it but hope they have similar luck to that of Tania Aebi during her first few months at sea or the Bumfuzzles during pretty much their whole circumnavigation.
mbianka and Arcb like this.
post #55 of 286 Old 02-12-2018

I read a news article about this incident for the first time this morning and then logged onto Sailnet to post it for other's perusal. Before doing so, I found this thread and saw that the story had already been posted. I'm going to post the link to the story I read anyway, simply because the the article linked at the beginning of this thread and the one I read are so different. Yes, I read Fox news. No, I'm not prosletyzing or taking sides. What is interesting is how both articles are factually correct, but leave the reader with very different "take-aways" due to what facts they include or omit. Here's the link....

Couple sells all possessions for sailboat, sinks 2 days into trip | Fox News

Even in coverage of a simple event like this one, you can't get the full story from a single source. Expand that to the incredibly complex arena of national and global political interaction, and it becomes evident that there's no way anyone can get the full story from reading a single source, and that single sources definitely have innate biases. The Times article states that the guy was "sent to Breckenridge, Colo., to market timeshares," which sounds like his profession was beyond his control, while Fox states that he "booked timeshares for a living," which most likely invokes a negative reaction in most people. The Times article omits any mention of the couple's GoFundMe page, while Fox includes it, along with a quote from the woman saying "..money isn't everything." The quotes chosen for inclusion in the articles are very different, and certainly show the subjects of the article in very different lights. Had I read just the Times article, I would have had a much more sympathetic reaction to the couple. After reading the Fox article first and prior to having read the Times article, my reaction was that these lazy entitled ignorant folks experienced what could have been a good lesson early enough in life to recover, but didn't and figured they were still owed a life by everyone else. I'm glad I read the Times article; it detailed a little more thought and pre-planning into the venture and I can give the couple a bit more credit. In all honesty, I still can't find a whole lot of sympathy for them, mostly because of the "why work through life?" and GoFundMe attitudes. I'm glad they weren't hurt, and that the dog still has his toys.

My wife and I are starting a new website, GoFundYourself.com . It's not very long. Mostly, it just says, "We started our own personal fundraiser a while back, and now own our own house, cars, are debt-free, and have enough investments for a comfortable income forever! It's amazing! And... while actively involved in raising our funds, we actually did a lot good for other people and helped them improve their lives! Wait...we're willing to let you in on our amazing discovery...and.....for free! Ready for the name of our amazing fundraising scheme that you.....yes, YOU! ... can do too?

Ready?

READY??..

HERE IT IS....

it's called......

WORK!!,

Try it. Combined with our other secret program, "Spend Less Than You Earn," you'll be amazed at the results!

Sooo.. are you still expecting other people to provide you with a life? If so, GoFundYourself!

Last edited by bblument; 02-12-2018 at 09:14 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bblument For This Useful Post:
flee27 (02-15-2018), Rocky Mountain Breeze (02-12-2018)
post #56 of 286 Old 02-12-2018
HANUMAN

I'm sorry... s p e n d l e s s t h a n y o u e a r n ? What language is this and how does it compare to my website http://www.scratchofflottoticketyour...ailfreedom.edu

WINDHOVER
1999 CATALINA 36 MKII
NOANK, CT
post #57 of 286 Old 02-12-2018

I've been amazed at how many media outlets have picked up on this story. From the British Press, USA Today, NY Post, TV Stations etc... Most don't delve too deeply into the incompetence of this couple and the mistakes they made. Which IMO would have been a good lesson for others who are tempted to put the dream ahead of reality. But, I finally came across one story that lays it all out:
Couple Sinks Sailboat In Two Days | The Daily Caller

"I hate to say we could have all seen this coming, but these two were setting up for a disaster from the start. Boats are awesome, but maybe donít buy one if you have no other money. Also donít buy one that you donít know how to sail. I feel like these are very obvious statements, but apparently not obvious enough."

Mike
Currently: Hunkering down for a bit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #58 of 286 Old 02-12-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Their GoFundMe is already up to almost $10,000

nice if you can get it, no one's contributing who can't afford it, people like to feel they're "helping", helps being young.
79 Watkins 27 sailboat for sale in Michigan
I think I could sink this in two days. If I pay asking price I could make 6 grand. Some pay that much to charter. I could make 6 grand and get to sail for a couple days. Anyone want to fund me?
nighthawk and mbianka like this.
post #59 of 286 Old 02-12-2018
Land lubber

Quote:
An unfamiliar shallow passage at night. I would have never tried that at any age.
All we have here in W. central FL is shallow. Night throws in an added difficulty, but up to date charts in a chartplotter should remedy that problem. I'd say I am going into anchorage at night more often than during the day. It is a fact of life for me because I am chartering on a schedule.
post #60 of 286 Old 02-12-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianjoub View Post
All we have here in W. central FL is shallow. Night throws in an added difficulty, but up to date charts in a chartplotter should remedy that problem. I'd say I am going into anchorage at night more often than during the day. It is a fact of life for me because I am chartering on a schedule.
Then I presume youíve been though them in the daytime and my personal restriction wouldn't apply.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in