Why paint topsides? - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 26 Old 02-19-2018

Re: Why paint topsides?

Fiberglass is translucent, gell coat or paint covers the fiberglass and light cannot penetrate. I only like sunshine through the windows not from the "walls"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 26 Old 02-19-2018

SeaStar 58

You are making assumptions that are not remotely close to reality. The vast majority of sailors in my part of the continent will NEVER take our boats to the scorching tropics...an in-white boat works fine.
Furthermore, the last time we drove our 'Inferno Red' Charger through the 100 plus degrees of the American desert, we enjoyed the drive just fine.

Last edited by paulinnanaimo; 02-19-2018 at 11:53 AM. Reason: spelling in-white should be un-white
post #23 of 26 Old 02-19-2018

Sorry, the computer self corrected. The above should read non white instead of in white.

post #24 of 26 Old 02-19-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by amwbox View Post
You could spray a boat in gelcoat...if your willing to take on the crazy amount of sanding to get a nice finish out of it. Only reason it looks nice on a new hull is the fact that it was sprayed on the inside of a mirror finish mold under controlled conditions. It can't be tipped out beautifully like 2 part urethane... you're going to have to sand, sand, sand if you want it pretty.

Truly, the nicest finish will come from a quality LPU paint...and it can be tipped out to near perfection with a little practice and properly thinned. Gelcoat lasts longer, but its a lot more work and not as nice looking as paint can be. But I still say maintain good gelcoat as long as you can.
That's the part that I didn't know . . .well, one of them.
post #25 of 26 Old 02-19-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulinnanaimo View Post
SeaStar 58

You are making assumptions that are not remotely close to reality. The vast majority of sailors in my part of the continent will NEVER take our boats to the scorching tropics...an in-white boat works fine.
Furthermore, the last time we drove our 'Inferno Red' Charger through the 100 plus degrees of the American desert, we enjoyed the drive just fine.
However I am and have been only speaking to living in and visiting the Humid Tropical area where I live not the Desert where if you hang your clothing on a line the first item may already be dry by the time you put the last item on the line. I live 365 days a year in a Tropical area where on a hot humid day things can take a long time to air dry.

Last edited by SeaStar58; 02-19-2018 at 01:50 PM.
post #26 of 26 Old 02-20-2018

I live in Hawaii. My Cars are white and silver with light colored interiors. Much of the time don't use A/C. Not the case with a dark ezreioe and black interior.

Painted the boat a lightish blue gray for the top sides with an off white deck. Hasn't been bad for comfort. Didn't even consider dark blue or black for two reasons. Temperature gain was secondary to wear issues. Dark hulls show the dings and scratches of normal use and look way worse from fading than a light color. Still wasn't going to pay all that money to have the boat painted white. Would not recommend painting a boat if you can buff the gel coat out and restore an acceptable finish. Gel coat is way more abuse resistant than paint no matter what the color.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in