A strange experience - Page 14 - SailNet Community
 184Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #131 of 227 Old 03-03-2018

Re: A strange experience

Comment to the original poster: I'm sorry you had to put up with such disrespectful treatment when it sounds like you were fully accommodating.

Here's my perspective as a Canadian - my country seems to have gotten into a strange mood in the last decade. People have become extremely righteous about certain things. They feel like they are much better than americans because we have universal medicare and more restrictive gun control (what they don't say is in many areas you can't get a doctor and waiting list for medical proceedures goes into years in many cases ... in other words, lack awareness that we aren't perfect). And Canada has become intensely reverse-racist and sexist, with a vocal minority who hate white males, white people in general, and americans unfortunately. It feels difficult at times, as i'm a white male and my wife is american.

So all i can say is keep this in mind when you meet Canadians, and please don't forget that there are lots of decent people amongst the righteous politically correct anti american assholes.

DougM
capta likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #132 of 227 Old 03-03-2018

To all you Americans, Canadian SN members did not elect DougM to be our spokesperson.
boatpoker likes this.
post #133 of 227 Old 03-03-2018
Aspiring Boat Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Mountain Breeze View Post
You kind of overlooked the world events at the time also, but blind partisans often resort to that tactic. I always get a chuckle when I hear people regurgitating the old saw about President Clinton and his economic prowess. If you were awake during the 90's and especially if you owned a business during that decade you would understand that the tech revolution was the driver of government revenue, no matter what the Clinton's or Newt Gingrich claim. The advances in chip speed, memory capacity, and the accompanying software which was enabled by the hardware advances, caused business to purchase new computers and software every other year. And of course, once you upgraded the base computer and the software the printer would no longer work,,,,, then along came scanners and larger CRT's and you have a continual demand for capitalism to take place. I think I spent more on office technology in the 90's than I have the rest of the time I have been in business, and that boys and girls, is what drove the economy in the 1990's.
You are quite right in your points about the economy under Clinton. He happened to be in office at the right time. However, he also didn't cut taxes to the top 1% and dramatically increase spending at the same time to squander the benefits of the economic boom.

Further on the issue of administrations benefiting from economic situations that they didn't create, Trump sure claims a lot of credit for the current, greatly improved economy that Obama spent eight years trying to revive. On the other hand, the global economy is a huge beast and how much did Obama's actions actually help or speed the recovery that at some point would have happened anyway. I'm sure you've heard the old joke, ask 10 economists their opinions on how to manage the economy and you'll get at least 11 recommendations.

post #134 of 227 Old 03-03-2018
Aspiring Boat Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulinnanaimo View Post
To all you Americans, Canadian SN members did not elect DougM to be our spokesperson.
Oo. A Canadian dispute. What's next, Newfie jokes?

post #135 of 227 Old 03-03-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulinnanaimo View Post
So you disagree with his position on the bigotry?

(silently judging you )

"Freedom is the increased knowledge of what you can do without." —Thoreau

Last edited by amwbox; 03-03-2018 at 10:55 PM.
post #136 of 227 Old 03-03-2018

Talk about a strange experience. Awoke the other night to a strange thumping in the den. Drowsy , I made my way toward the disturbance . Moon light through the window shone on the cause. I'd recognize that head of hair anywhere. First thought 'It's the POTUS !!; Second thought; He's broken into my house and having an epileptic fit under the dinning room table' Third thought was 'Why am I not surprised?. By this time ,thinking more clearly I realized it was Cooper,my golden retriever, chasing squirrels in his sleep. Sometimes explanations are easy.
post #137 of 227 Old 03-03-2018

I'm sorry you had to go through that, Len. You wanna see a golden retriever running down wind?

(I'm not even making fun. I just want to know how it works.)
skipmac likes this.

post #138 of 227 Old 03-04-2018

What? That?

I don't think he thought it was funny. He wouldn't have been waging a decades long, unnatural war on baldness if that were the case. I mean...most guys lose hair as they age. It's not a big deal. He just needs grow a pair, buy some clippers, and buzz that down and own it. He can't even laugh at skits on SNL, and get's in a pansy ass tissy about it over and over.

The sort of insecurity that would prefer to spend half a lifetime the butt of the world's jokes than to simply lose some hair...that's not a laughing matter. The man has some serious self-esteem and confidence issues. We should be sensitive to that. Clearly a wounded soul of unknown depths.

post #139 of 227 Old 03-04-2018

No. I'm afraid I didn't tune in to watch CPAC.

I also didn't drive a drywall screw into my forehead with a can opener. Probably missed out there as well.

post #140 of 227 Old 03-04-2018
Land lubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Oo. A Canadian dispute. What's next, Newfie jokes?

Aren't they all fundamentalist Muslims these days in Canuckistan? Why wouldn't they hate whitey???

:d :d :d

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in