used sailboat market in FL - seems to keep declining in smaller boats - SailNet Community
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 03-16-2018 Thread Starter
cdy

used sailboat market in FL - seems to keep declining in smaller boats

Talking about used sailboats in the 22 - 30 foot range - boats that families used to buy to get into sailing - double edge sword for me - just picked up a Cal 29 for $3K - in decent shape with 20hp yanmar , but trying to sell a Pearson 26 - good thing is the money I saved on the Cal will more than offset the price I sell the Pearson for. ( hopefully $2K)

Seems boats in the 25-30 foot range - ones to big for a trailer and maybe to small for a cruiser - are worth next to nothing - unless they have some pedigree - The Cal was bought by the previous owner 4 years ago for $6K - he did not have people beating down the doors for it at $3K when I bought it. My Pearson is in good shape with a good 4 stroke 9,9 engine - but crickets - have it on CL and Sailboatlistings - and March should be a good month to sell in Florida - hardly any interest - a couple asked about payments - and others if it had a trailer - not serious. Have bought and sold a lot of boats over the years on CL - it seems to work well - but just think there aren't many people looking for boats that you need to keep in the water 30 feet and under. I have seen boats on CL that look like good buys - they disappear - figured they were sold - but reappear 6 months later - Its a bit perplexing - the economy is doing well, employment is at almost an all time low - they are selling the heck out of RV's and campers, it just seems that people in the past who may have bough smaller sailboats - just aren't anymore ( at least in Florida) - I guess unless you really love/are into sailing the high cost of keeping a boat ( especially in a slip) just isn't worth the investment anymore - if sailboat sales are sluggish when the economy is doing well - whats going to happen when the we have the next downturn? - I am sure high end new boats are doing OK - what I observe is more the average Joe market
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 03-18-2018

Re: used sailboat market in FL - seems to keep declining in smaller boats

I don't think the current good economic indicators like low unemployment and the stock market are ones that translate into disposable income for middle class people who would buy the boats you are discussing. I suspect the really high end yacht market is doing fine.

Also, money factors nonwithstanding, I think culturally sailing is just not as popular as it was a few decades ago, although that is a topic that gets argued to death when it shows up from time to time in forums like this.
post #3 of 23 Old 03-18-2018

Probably several factors. First to mind is the risk one takes on a boat of those values that something could go wrong and cost multiple times what the boat is worth. I would also think folks are looking bigger and bigger, but I'm not sure if the data fully supports this. I suspect sub-30ft boats sell best in protected inland water.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #4 of 23 Old 03-18-2018

Many of those are Hurricane Irma boats with some kind of damage or boats ready for the landfill that the owners spent a lot of money on and want to re-coop their losses or at least that is what the fear can be.

Many times when you go see them you find the pics they posted are several years old or just of a similar boat and what they have is moldy and rotten with soft spots in the deck and all sorts of issues. Some you actually find resting on the bottom at their dock with the bilges full of water.

Many do not have the title and are not the owner of record so that is another can of worms that can get quite costly so they offer them at attractively low prices to at least get some of their money back and hopefully make it someone elses problem.
post #5 of 23 Old 03-18-2018
Master Mariner

Perhaps it's because there are fewer and fewer affordable places to keep a boat in the water in Fla. One of the main reasons I left Fla is because the state has absolutely no interest in anything except the big money marine scene, be it keeping folks from anchoring in front of the waterside mansions or allowing marinas to disappear into condominiums. Nowhere else I've ever been have the water LEOs been so disrespectful and such bullies to the lower income boaters.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #6 of 23 Old 03-18-2018

Cost of the boat is only a small part of total sailing cost. As previous posters said, owning a boat can get very expensive really quick, especially in FL. That is one factor in the decline of sailing interest. But there is still a glut of very neglected boats that people are trying to sell. I often see such junk out there for sale that no sensible sailor would want for free. Until that inventory comes off the market, prices will stay really low.
Sal Paradise likes this.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #7 of 23 Old 03-18-2018

Natural life cycle.

The FG boats go back X years. Many are dying on a regular basis due to lack of care and feeding.
The ability/motivation to care for and feed these boats drop as they get new owners over time, in general. Sure, dreams may be equal, but reality is can be brutal.
Cost to rerig/refit(life support care and feeding) an oldie might exceed...the dream.
One constant is more FG boat grave stones
albrazzi likes this.
post #8 of 23 Old 03-18-2018
Barquito

For the OP, regarding selling your boat; I would just drop the price a lot, and unload it. I was in the same situation. Got a great deal on a 32' boat. My 27' boat wasn't selling, so, I cut the price in half. Not worth holding it another year.

Valiant 32
post #9 of 23 Old 03-18-2018 Thread Starter
cdy

My price is already at $2K - I will drop it to $1.5K to get it sold - under that - I will take everything off( motor , sail) and give the hull away to someone looking for cheap housing.

One problem a little unique to Florida - so many docks/ marinas were damaged or destroyed by Irma and Matthew - many won't be rebuilt others ( private docks) may take years - they still have not replaced the docks at the Jacksonville Landing - big article today about where did all the boaters go? Used to be a bit of a destination - for concerts, dinner , drinks - but completely dead now - the sailboat racing has taken a huge hit after Irma also on the St Johns - just read the results of their Spring River race - used to attract 20-30 boats - had 3 this year - the Mug Race comes up in 2 months - used to attract 150 boats - be lucky to get 50 this year - mostly cats and trailer-able boats , you look out on the river on a weekend - you will be lucky to see 1 sailboat out
post #10 of 23 Old 03-18-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Perhaps it's because there are fewer and fewer affordable places to keep a boat in the water in Fla.
You might be onto something there. Anyone who can afford slip fees, AND a house located near where the slip is, can probably afford (and therefor want) a bigger boat.

One reason we chose our Albin Vega was because the nearest slip is over an hour away. Can you imagine refitting a boat that's 2+ hours away from home, round trip? I certainly can't. And the slip fees will eat us little people alive. We needed a legally trailerable, blue water capable boat that we could park in our driveway where I could refit it. It needed to have a shallow draft, and weigh under 10,000 lbs including the trailer.

There were not many options.
Skipper Jer likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in