How windy is windy? - Page 6 - SailNet Community
 65Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 71 Old 03-19-2018
Banned

Re: How windy is windy?

For some visual reference, here is a video that shows a few different wind/sea conditions we've sailed in, in different areas ("inshore" sailing on Galveston Bay and offshore in the Gulf)...

This is also in different boats...our Hunter 40 and a Pearson 365 ketch.

In the Galveston Bay stuff we were out in the morning as the winds were just starting to build. You can see how flat the water is. Then the next section is about the same amount of wind, but which had been blowing a while in open water. You can see how much more rough it was heading into the Gulf - though still pretty mild. It was a really easy sail because we were headed downwind. Next, you can see 25-30 (just a bit more than the previous pieces) - but with big steep seas that were left over from a tropical storm in the Gulf several days previously. I've got better video of how big these waves really were and how this boat slammed off of them - just not in this version. Finally, you see us get hit by a big norther with 35 knots in this same boat on this same trip. But since it was coming from the land-side, the seas were still mellow even with that big wind blowing against the waves. The boat was fully under control and I was having a blast steering us through.

Hopefully that gives you a sense of what "windy" means and how it varies based on where you are.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 03-19-2018 at 08:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 71 Old 03-19-2018

Bombay Pilothouse 31 furling jib and main. Being fairly new to sailing I am still learning best setups for higher wind. Was out in upper 20s a week ago and did not reef soon enough Got hammered and heard wife scream. Only thing to do was run from it which once I start doing that it was too much to try to gain an angle to reef. Went out two days ago and it blew to about 20 but I had learned my lesson. Reefed both down to small triangles and had a very nice sail at about 4.5 knots most directions. Had rookies on the boat but all seemed comfortable. I think basically for me it is a matter of not being embarrassed to have so little sail out. Sometimes I feel like two small triangles shouts wimp to other boats. Oh well balanced speed and comfort are important too.
doggerel and isuee94 like this.
post #53 of 71 Old 03-19-2018

In addition to pride, another factor that makes it challenging to reef is the beating that it feels the rigging is taking during the process. With furling everything I can do it pretty fast but flogging sails and rattling rigging even for the maybe 10 minutes it takes is not what I like to hear but it seems reefing in high winds almost requires it or am I doing something wrong?
MacBlaze likes this.

post #54 of 71 Old 03-19-2018

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisysDriver View Post
flogging sails and rattling rigging even for the maybe 10 minutes it takes is not what I like to hear but it seems reefing in high winds almost requires it or am I doing something wrong?
Yes. You are doing something wrong.

Where do I start....
Its like 1am and I am not in the mood for am essay. Go get an instructor who can teach u to do it in 60 seconds without flapping.

Sorry to be brutal

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go

And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #55 of 71 Old 03-19-2018

^ Don't like being up at the mast too long in snotty conditions, It's maybe a three minute deal...practice, practice, practice.
MikeOReilly likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
post #56 of 71 Old 03-19-2018

Dock

We bought a 22 O'Day about this time last year. After a few "get acquainted" type outings, and me thoroughly checking everything, we took her out in 25-30 mph winds. No worries or drama. We had limited fetch over fairly shallow water, so we had about 3' waves. My other half even relaxed and started smiling pretty quickly. We also learned that the O'Day's system of rolling the sail onto the boom to reef is both impractical in insecure. That said, I try to avoid winds over 25.

(I'm a semi-reformed high wind Windsurfer dude. My favorite winds for that silliness are 30-35. Highest winds I've sailed in were 44 mph on our logging anemometer. That was windy.)
post #57 of 71 Old 03-20-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Yes. You are doing something wrong.

Where do I start....
Its like 1am and I am not in the mood for am essay. Go get an instructor who can teach u to do it in 60 seconds without flapping.

Sorry to be brutal
Wow dude... hope you got some sleep :-) One minute? In 25 knots? Doubt it. Video or it did not happen. Check out
With a professional crew of 4 Novack took almost 4 minutes of heavily edited video and he only reefed the main in what appeared to be about 10 knots of actual. You must be really good. C'mon man fire up that gopro...

Last edited by DaisysDriver; 03-20-2018 at 08:37 AM.
post #58 of 71 Old 03-20-2018
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisysDriver View Post
Wow dude... hope you got some sleep :-) One minute? In 25 knots? Doubt it. Video or it did not happen. Check out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Er9iw7q_E_8 With a professional crew of 4 Novack took almost 4 minutes of heavily edited video and he only reefed the main in what appeared to be about 10 knots of actual. You must be really good. C'mon man fire up that gopro...
I would have to agree that if it is taking 10 minutes to reef, then something is wrong. Its hard to say how long the actual reef took to put in during the video because it is pretty heavily edited. In the video roughly a minute and 45 seconds pass while the actual reefing is happening. As noted there are also two people (arguably 3 or 4 since 1)someone is steering and 2)someone eased the main halyard, 3) someone is tensioning the clew line, and 4)someone is tying in the strop for the tack.)

Some of the need for that many crew results from the size of the boat, some from the layout of the sail handling gear, and some may only be because this is a video and so want to have people in place to perform each step.

(By the way the video does not mentioning easing the vang since most booms steeve upward when reefed requiring the vang to be eased before you tie in a reef.)

I have my boat set up with two-line reefing for each reef and led back to the cockpit. I have my halyard and reef lines marked for the full reef. The tack line is 2:1. With that set up, I drop the halyard to the mark, tension the tack line mostly by hand, reaching over periodically and taking slack out of the clew line as I go. Single-hand, I normally put the boat on a beat to reef with the jib set and the autopilot on. I have been timed doing this single-handed on my 38 footer, and it does take somewhere between 1 1/2 and 2 minutes from the time that I punch in the autopilot to the time that I am back at the wheel without especially rushing. (It does take much longer if I try to reef while running or deep reaching.)

Before I marked my halyard and added the tackline it also took a lot longer. I have sailed on boats with single-line reefing and I found that reefing took an enormous amount of time longer since there was so much tension and friction on the line, so you were grinding the whole time. With two line reefing you are typically only grinding the last bit of clew line and maybe the vang. I also found reefing the main with in-boom and in-mast furling quite slow and physically demanding.

Jeff
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

Last edited by Jeff_H; 03-20-2018 at 09:26 AM.
post #59 of 71 Old 03-20-2018

Daisyd, it's possible to get a reef in pretty quick. I don't doubt know your system, but in very general terms, count the line movements.

Sheet
Halyard
Downhaul
Outhaul
Sheet

Aev says three minutes. That's maybe 35 seconds per line movement, maybe more, maybe less depending on your exact set up, but it's in that neighbourhood. Even at Mark's estimate, that's roughly 12 seconds per line movement.

Last edited by Arcb; 03-20-2018 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Autocorrect
post #60 of 71 Old 03-20-2018
Banned

Personally - I wouldn't worry so much about speed, and more about being safe and doing it right.

On our Hunter 40 it was me and my 2 young sons. I would tether in an go to the mast to work the luff and hook the strop on horns while they worked the halyard and reefing line. I don't know exactly how long it took us and really don't care. We got it done when needed and never had a problem.
MikeOReilly and paulinnanaimo like this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in