post #12 of 26 Old 03-28-2018

Dock
Re: Romance of Sailing

I sail by myself doing long passages.

Yep, after 20 days I get very romantic.

Even the turtles know to keep clear.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #13 of 26 Old 03-28-2018
Captain Obvious

via Imgflip Meme Generator
Slayer, Ajax_MD and MarkofSeaLife like this.

Sal Paradise - Armchair Circumnavigator

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger

post #14 of 26 Old 03-28-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
I sail by myself doing long passages.

Yep, after 20 days I get very romantic.

Even the turtles know to keep clear.

Hence the term single-handed: after 20 days it’s not just in reference to the tiller

Last edited by Slayer; 03-29-2018 at 07:48 AM.
post #15 of 26 Old 03-29-2018

Another silly thread. Water seems to be something that attracts people to it. Perhaps it's irrational or simply related to the utility of being near water. It's a medium to travel on driven by the wind without the confines of roads. Sailing is different from the romantic idea of sailing.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #16 of 26 Old 03-29-2018
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer View Post
My experience has been that many woman (and perhaps men) love the IDEA of sailing, but that changes quickly when the seas stir up and things get wet, or they have to grind a winch.
It's not just sailing, it's the concept of "passion" in general. A wise friend once told me:

"Women love a man who is passionate. They absolutely loathe the thing that he is passionate about."
Slayer and wymbly1971 like this.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #17 of 26 Old 03-29-2018
Chastened

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorksailor View Post
You are all delusional and the picture is trick photography...in the last two months we:

Sailed 1,400 nm with a broken autopilot and broken transmission in 35 knot winds.

We spent a month in Guam in an industrial anchorage fixing things.

We were having a lovely sail to Japan when a tropical storm sprang up and forced us to turn tail and head for Saipan where we are on the container ship dock.

On Sunday we head out chasing the weakening storm to gives us reasoanble winds for the 1,400 nm to Japan. The waves are likely to be 10ft+ and the bow will bury into a wave every minute or so.

After the trip to Japan we do something more difficult, we are heading over the top of the Pacific to Alaska...50 deg water!

Nell and I are in our 11th year of cruising and they have been wonderful years as we sailed over 40,000nm but hard work out scores romance 10 to 1.

Phil & Nell
You have intentionally chosen a thorny path. Good on you, but not everyone has to do it that way.

Some of us are content to hike the foothills and some folks like you, need to scale Everest.

post #18 of 26 Old 03-29-2018
Chastened

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisteredUser View Post
The sense of freedom...I think.
This is an interesting statement. Over the years, I've tried many hobbies and outlets in search of "freedom" that have failed, utterly. Restoring vintage automobiles, motorcycling, travel groups. None of them ever really gave me any sense of freedom, they only reinforced how tied to society I am.

Advertising sells the idea of cars and motorcycles as keys to freedom, they always show a smiling man or woman tearing along empty city streets or coastal highways when the reality is, you're constantly tapping the brakes while choking on the exhaust of the moron in front of you. In a growing society where the infrastructure is crumbling and inadequate, this is a totally false vision of freedom

So, I sold all of my cars and motorcycles and bought a small powerboat because I grew up in South Florida, and that's how I spent my time on the water as a kid. Then I discovered that I didn't like the stink, the noise, or my range being limited to my fuel tank. I just couldn't get far enough away. So, I started sailing.

Sailing works. For me, it's the only thing that works. It's the only thing that gets me far enough away from society so that I can decompress. Pounding into a short chop in a 25kt breeze is still more peaceful and enjoyable to me than rocking and slamming off of other powerboat wakes in my own powerboat or going insane, listening to the drone of an engine while transiting from A to B.

I *finally* discovered that speed is nearly irrelevant to enjoyment. I love the aesthetic grace of a boat under sail. I enjoy seeing, feeling and harnessing the physics that drive the boat. I enjoy learning and improving the entire range of skills that sailing demands. After sitting in a cubicle all day, pounding a keyboard, I actually enjoy the physical exertion of setting sails, grinding winches and crawling around on slanted decks.

Is any of that romantic? I dunno, but it sure preserves my sanity.

post #19 of 26 Old 03-29-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax_MD View Post
It's not just sailing, it's the concept of "passion" in general. A wise friend once told me:

"Women love a man who is passionate. They absolutely loathe the thing that he is passionate about."
Right. Sailing is about passion. I'm reminded here that some of us are full time cruisers. A wonderful all encompassing life style, traveling and living on a sailboat.

Sailing, on the other hand is something you may have done your whole life, recreationally, or you are just contemplating. It's as big a part of your life, as you want it to be.

Sailing is something I enjoy in my life. It's always been a part of it. From dinghy's as a kid to a little cruising and living aboard.

My favorite I've found is sailing along the coast of Maine and NE. A day or two, a week or two, that's what I prefer. My sailboat is not my home. The best of my sailing is measured more in units of time than nautical miles.

I don't like heavy weather sailing (you have to do it sometimes, even as a coastal sailor), as much as light air sailing. I lean toward the latter.

The view across my bow is more likely to look like this than blue water crashing. My first date with my wife (of 30 years), was to take her sailing. My sailing, is romantic.

Tom Young sailing a 1961 38' Alden Challenger, CHRISTMAS out of
Rockport, Maine.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
post #20 of 26 Old 03-29-2018

Wow, I've been at this for 40+ years, and there's still plenty of romance. But you got to do it right.

If it's day sailing, we go in great weather. 10-20 knots, SW, puffy clouds, and a light chop. It's usually a close haul to Marthas Vineyard, and a reach back. Often, we don't even need a tack. Leave the autopilot off, feel the boat, the gust of wind, hear the birds, hiss of the water going by, sit on the lee, glance up at the tell tales all running back, feel the wind in your hair, react instinctively on the wheel, adjust the main a hair, ease the jib sheet just a little, feel it grove in....ahhh. Sometimes, for fun, we'll short tack into the harbor and pick up a mooring, yea a bit more work but sometimes it just feels right. We leave at say 10AM, lunch on a mooring at the Vineyard and a swim, back on the dock at 3PM. Sometimes we bring friends, sometimes it's just me and my wife.

When we cruise, we try to plan for a leisurely morning. Nice breakfast on anchor. Up anchor say 10AM with a plan to get to our next destination by 4PM, get the hook down, hang the grill (always hang the grill first), and mix up some cocktails. Flag down the lobsterman if he's near by for some bugs to cook...and know what harbors have little shops that sell fresh blue berry pie. Keep a stock of good wines on board.

For us, passage making is a drag, either boring or too exciting to be fun. It's a necessary evil sometimes to get somewhere. Guess as I get older I'm just not that adventurous.

Yea, there's plenty of romance.

If you take your time and do it right.

Tags
romance , sailing

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in