Romance of Sailing - SailNet Community
 63Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 03-28-2018 Thread Starter

Romance of Sailing

As the weather warms up, sailing season on the York River has resumed. We turn now to why people sail in the first place, including the romance of sailing.

Pick up any boating magazine and look at the full-page ads. They often depict a fast motorboat, with an attractive woman in a bikini. Now thumb through and find a comparable full-page ad of a sailboat. Itís shown on the open water with sails full and hull heeling gently from the wind. Whatís missing is the woman in a bikini. The first ad was selling sex appeal, while the second was selling romance. The woman is implicit and would only clutter our view of the sailboat.

Sailing is implicitly romantic. Nowhere else does a situation lend itself to such a sensitive setting that can melt the hardest heart. These three illustrations capture the moment better than any words can.

The romance of sailing is the romance of the sea, of solitude, of silence, of mystique. People just naturally associate sailing with a romantic life. Iíve done enough wedding and engagement cruises to know that sailing adds a special dimension to any experience.

Among five reasons cited to go sailing, three are directly connected to romance. Couples cruises have become so popular that Letís Go Sail now provides deck cushions on the bow so people can enjoy their privacy in an isolated yet majestic section of the boat. Some couples stay there for hours at a time. Itís another world up there on the bow.
Attached Thumbnails
5 Sail.png  
TomMaine and Sal Paradise like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 03-28-2018

Re: Romance of Sailing

My experience has been that many woman (and perhaps men) love the IDEA of sailing, but that changes quickly when the seas stir up and things get wet, or they have to grind a winch.
post #3 of 26 Old 03-28-2018
Old soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer View Post
My experience has been that many woman (and perhaps men) love the IDEA of sailing, but that changes quickly when the seas stir up and things get wet, or they have to grind a winch.
I agree. I think people love the Ďideaí of sailing. I think the concept ó to put it Platonically, the Form of sailing ó is romantic. But reality is different.

Itís kinda like people have a romantic view of living off the land, or having a shack in the mountains or on the sea, surrounded by idyllic Nature. The reality of this life is different than the post card.

Glossy magazines and sexy youtube vloggers sell the romance. Not many show the full reality.
Slayer, Sal Paradise and mbianka like this.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 26 Old 03-28-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodonovan View Post
As the weather warms up, sailing season on the York River has resumed. We turn now to why people sail in the first place, including the romance of sailing.

Pick up any boating magazine and look at the full-page ads. They often depict a fast motorboat, with an attractive woman in a bikini. Now thumb through and find a comparable full-page ad of a sailboat. It’s shown on the open water with sails full and hull heeling gently from the wind. What’s missing is the woman in a bikini. The first ad was selling sex appeal, while the second was selling romance. The woman is implicit and would only clutter our view of the sailboat.

Sailing is implicitly romantic. Nowhere else does a situation lend itself to such a sensitive setting that can melt the hardest heart. These three illustrations capture the moment better than any words can.

The romance of sailing is the romance of the sea, of solitude, of silence, of mystique. People just naturally associate sailing with a romantic life. I’ve done enough wedding and engagement cruises to know that sailing adds a special dimension to any experience.

Among five reasons cited to go sailing, three are directly connected to romance. Couples cruises have become so popular that Let’s Go Sail now provides deck cushions on the bow so people can enjoy their privacy in an isolated yet majestic section of the boat. Some couples stay there for hours at a time. It’s another world up there on the bow.
You are right, especially about the last part.

Whenever we have a couple onboard, young or old, if, they are even a little bit romantic as a couple, my partner at some point, will steer them up to the foredeck with a few cushions.

As I try to sail nicely (to show guests the beauty of sail), she'll climb down to the galley and open a bottle of something (bubbly is the best for this).

Next - I know - she'll carefully walk two glasses forward to the vee berth where there is a small opening port in the forward cabin house. She'll open it (which sometimes startles our guests, now leaning on their cushions over the little port).

She'll pass the two glasses through the port to the couple, and return to the cockpit.

We like doing that. The couple always stays up there in that private space with a view, like nothing they have ever seen. Glasses empty, they always return with a smile on their faces.

Never, ever, fails.

Tom Young sailing a 1961 38' Alden Challenger, CHRISTMAS out of
Rockport, Maine.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
post #5 of 26 Old 03-28-2018

You are all delusional and the picture is trick photography...in the last two months we:

Sailed 1,400 nm with a broken autopilot and broken transmission in 35 knot winds.

We spent a month in Guam in an industrial anchorage fixing things.

We were having a lovely sail to Japan when a tropical storm sprang up and forced us to turn tail and head for Saipan where we are on the container ship dock.

On Sunday we head out chasing the weakening storm to gives us reasoanble winds for the 1,400 nm to Japan. The waves are likely to be 10ft+ and the bow will bury into a wave every minute or so.

After the trip to Japan we do something more difficult, we are heading over the top of the Pacific to Alaska...50 deg water!

Nell and I are in our 11th year of cruising and they have been wonderful years as we sailed over 40,000nm but hard work out scores romance 10 to 1.

Phil & Nell
post #6 of 26 Old 03-28-2018

I think i'm fully in the throes of the "Idea" of sailing, but at this point its the main motivator on getting my project boat in the water and going. As I sit in the bilge trying to suss out a mess of wires, or laying under the hull trying to lay some new fiberglass on the swing-keel, I have been having a lot of daydreams about laying in the aft berth with my Kerosene lamp flickering and lending its heat and light to me as I read my book while rain drones on the deck and waves lap against the hull. Lots of daydreams of the sort you folks are describing as well, putting a little camping pad out on the bow and leaning against the outside of the cabin and taking in the vista of whatever location I happen to be at. I know that, especially sailing in the Pacific Northwest, there's a good chance I'll be sailing in heavy rain and possibly stormy seas, but the idea of curling up in a nice warm little cabin after a difficult sail seems to be even more enticing.
post #7 of 26 Old 03-28-2018

I have always had, and continue to get a great feeling from being able to sail the boat in any direction just using the push of free wind.
chef2sail likes this.
post #8 of 26 Old 03-28-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer View Post
Exactly. I try and not to invite non sailors out for a sail because of those reasons. I find my landlubber guests can be just as happy sitting in my boats cockpit with a glass of wine while on the mooring without subjecting them to conditions of a sail. Less for me to worry about like someone falling and hurting themselves or them getting sea sick.
Slayer and SanderO like this.

Mike
Currently: Enjoying Summer's sailing season

post #9 of 26 Old 03-28-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorksailor View Post
You are all delusional and the picture is trick photography...in the last two months we:

Sailed 1,400 nm with a broken autopilot and broken transmission in 35 knot winds.

We spent a month in Guam in an industrial anchorage fixing things.

We were having a lovely sail to Japan when a tropical storm sprang up and forced us to turn tail and head for Saipan where we are on the container ship dock.

On Sunday we head out chasing the weakening storm to gives us reasoanble winds for the 1,400 nm to Japan. The waves are likely to be 10ft+ and the bow will bury into a wave every minute or so.

After the trip to Japan we do something more difficult, we are heading over the top of the Pacific to Alaska...50 deg water!

Nell and I are in our 11th year of cruising and they have been wonderful years as we sailed over 40,000nm but hard work out scores romance 10 to 1.

Phil & Nell
10%, that's not bad considering what you do. I manage to avoid most of the hard sailing that cruisers often have to do.

We do the easy sailing, coastal, seasonally, and pick good weather.

Tom Young sailing a 1961 38' Alden Challenger, CHRISTMAS out of
Rockport, Maine.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
post #10 of 26 Old 03-28-2018
Old soul

Donít get me wrong. I love the cruising life. At this point in my life, I canít think of any better way to live and explore the world around me. It has its romantic, easy-liviní side, but thatís only a small part of the whole picture.
Slayer likes this.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:

Tags
romance , sailing

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in