Your Boat Name - the story behind it - Page 10 - SailNet Community
 147Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of 100 Old 11-13-2018

Re: Your Boat Name - the story behind it

My buddy has a M/V named TCB because of his love for all things Elvis. When he got a dinghy, I asked him, well are you gonna name it T/TCB? He was like 'what's the T for? I explained and so he called it, naturally, Love Me Tender.
My boat was dubbed Sandpiper2 by her original owner in 1968. The meat head who sold her to me after owning her for only one year, had her documented as 'Almost Dangerous', which I thought to be heinous (it's a Monty Python reference FWIW). So I changed it back to the original name. Not such a good story, but when I had the lettering put on the hull, the guy spelled it 'Sandpipper'. It's now how we refer to her, or just 'Pipper'. My next boat will be officially,"Sandpipper" or "Pipper". Unless I come up with something better.

1968 Cal 2-30
Sandpiper 2
MDR

Last edited by rbrasi; 11-13-2018 at 10:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 100 Old 11-14-2018

Having a last name of Campbell and owning a small sloop, it had to be
Campbell's Sloop
post #93 of 100 Old 11-14-2018

I recently realized the issue of understandability over the radio.
I told my kids that I would name any boat after the two of them, Nicaya, for Nick and Maya. But then I imagined having to spell it over the radio because it could sound like "Micaya"; "Nicaia" so you'd have to spell it out "November-India-Charlie-Alpha-Yankee-Alpha. I've decided that I would wait and see what the previous owner called any boat I might buy.

Some people choose some really lame names like they do for race horses, like "Daddy's Money", "Divorce Settlement", or "My Kid's Inheritance". Those boats will get renamed.

But something like Wind Dancer, Sea Gypsy, Gulf Explorer could be tolerable to keep as a boat name, and would be understandable over the radio.

post #94 of 100 Old 11-14-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnorten View Post
Just bought a Catalina 30. Current name, "At Last". Nice. But other boats in marina have similar names.

Contemplating "Esperanza". Spanish for Hope. Hope for what lay over the horizon, hope for the future, hope the name of the church we've attended for almost 30 years.

Also contemplating "Elizabeth Jane". Classic boat name, and my very dear late grandmother's name.

Thoughts???

Thanks.
Both of those names work on a practical level: easy to say over the radio, and easy to understand. Boat names are a very personal thing, so the opinions of others really shouldn't be much of a consideration.
post #95 of 100 Old 11-14-2018

Our new boat will be named Kayode. It means "one who brings joy or happiness" in the West African language known as Yoruba. Pronounced kai-O-day.

Keth

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
post #96 of 100 Old 11-15-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnorten View Post
Just bought a Catalina 30. Current name, "At Last". Nice. But other boats in marina have similar names.

Contemplating "Esperanza". Spanish for Hope. Hope for what lay over the horizon, hope for the future, hope the name of the church we've attended for almost 30 years.

Also contemplating "Elizabeth Jane". Classic boat name, and my very dear late grandmother's name.

Thoughts???

Thanks.
Good name for a square rigger, but seems formal for a small boat. How about Lizzy J or Lizzy Jane?
Good thing late grannies name wasn't Mary!
post #97 of 100 Old 11-15-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesterner View Post
I recently realized the issue of understandability over the radio.
But something like Wind Dancer, Sea Gypsy, Gulf Explorer could be tolerable to keep as a boat name, and would be understandable over the radio.
How about naming her Mayday. The CG and most skippers will understand it immediately!
post #98 of 100 Old 11-15-2018
Ranger 29

First Boat Rhodes 19 Mariner, wife Jackie named it Little Wing (after the song).
Second Boat, Ranger 23 (Best in ever in it's size class) came with the name Blue Parrot, liked it, kept it.
Current Boat, Ranger 29. wanted to name it Jackie S after my Wife in the Maine Lobster boat tradition, but was nixed by Jackie S, so named it Banshee, still named for Jackie S.
Arcb likes this.
post #99 of 100 Old 11-15-2018

Deez Nuts
post #100 of 100 Old 11-21-2018
Sailing since 1966

Shortly after college, I bought an old Lightning. It was wooden (I'd had fiberglass dinghies before), it was lively, and I'm a Tolkien fan -- so I thought of Ents, the living tree-like creatures. The main Ent, known as "Treebeard," was too slow and ponderous. But there was a younger, more impetuous Ent, "Quickbeam." [Nerdy point that Tolkien fans will recognize: The real names of individual Ents are too long to put on transoms -- or even wrap around the entire hull.]

That was more than 35 years ago. Every boat since then has had a Tolkien-based name. The O'Day DaySailer was "Goldberry" (a perpetually-happy and singing spirit of the water) followed by the Laser "Pippin" (an energetic young hobbit). When I bought my first keel boat, a Ranger 26 (by then, I was in my 50s), it was purely for relaxation -- and "Tom Bombadil" is the most carefree person in the Tolkien world. Last year, I moved up to a Catalina 30, considered "Tom Bombadill II," but went with "Rivendell" -- one of the most restful places ever. (I decided against the Elvish version of the name, "Imladris" -- doesn't roll off the tongue as well; since this is my first boat with VHF, never even thought about needing to say the name on the radio!)

When I was looking for a name for the Ranger, someone suggested "Vingilote," the ship on which Earendil and Elwig sailed to Aman to seek pardon and assistance from the Valar. [Yeah, we Tolkien fans can get a little obsessed.] But Vingilote "was said to be the fairest ever fashioned." And though I was happy with the Ranger and now the Catalina, let's be real: both are plastic and neither is the fairest boat ever fashioned! But maybe someday...

[Re-reading this, just realized that I started sailing the same year I first read The Hobbit. Maybe that's why I associated the two!]

Last edited by blew1000; 11-23-2018 at 05:00 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in