Replacement Sails Online - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 04-19-2018 Thread Starter

Replacement Sails Online

Good Afternoon,

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a good source for replacement sails online for my Pearson 28-2. I would like to replace my main and possibly also purchase an asymmetrical spinnaker. I'm looking for reasonable quality at a reasonable cost. Primarily inshore use with some coastal cruising. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks very much.

Regards,

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-19-2018

Re: Replacement Sails Online

Matt, the new sail gurus will surely be along shortly. I'm going to bump and old thread of yours and ask you an unrelated question. Good luck with the new sails.
post #3 of 12 Old 04-19-2018

If you do a little searching here, you will find multiple threads on this topic with lots of recommendation on both online and local lofts.

But since you asked, I have been happy with sails I ordered online from Island Nautical (Doyle) and National Sail Supply (Rolly Tasker).

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2

post #4 of 12 Old 04-20-2018

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
If you do a little searching here, you will find multiple threads on this topic with lots of recommendation on both online and local lofts.

But since you asked, I have been happy with sails I ordered online from Island Nautical (Doyle) and National Sail Supply (Rolly Tasker).

I bought our main from Quantum and am awaiting a new 135 from Doyle.

Only caveat is to make sure you are comparing apples to apples. Also if there are issues, do you want it to be an online sail loft.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ďSailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.Ē- Dennis Conner
post #5 of 12 Old 04-20-2018

Dock

I got a new Main from Rolly Tasker when I was visiting Thailand. Great mate!!!!!!!! Dunno how good their online interface is but it cant be bad if they are in buisness.

Lee Sails is the one most know. Hong Kong I think they are. Someone got their sail delivered 2 weeks after ordering it. I was amazed. How'd they do that??

North Sails HQ is in northers eastern upper bit of USA. I had them make my new genoa last year and I would have had them make my new main but they screwed the After Sales Service. But, I negotiated a 10% discount by going them direct.

I got my new Main from Ulmann sails and it was 1/2 the price as Doyal Sails.

More than where its made is HOW its made. Tell them you want a budget sail and they will. But let them make the decisions and your sail could be $100,000. Yes, it really could. I do the Egyptian Negotiation (sorry to be racist) where I walk from the carpet shop 3 times before I get their lowest price.

They want to sell you some NASA quality stuff but you might just want long-wearing Dacron. Oh, thats another point: the old fashioned Dacron lasts longer on a long range cruising boat.

Mark

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #6 of 12 Old 04-20-2018

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

I agree with Mark

Sails are one of the most expensive parts of a boat. I am going to generalize here so pardon that. Racers will talk about their different sails, types of materials, cut, laminates and may have 10 on board at any given time . Their spend on sails is way more than a long range cruiser like Mark, or a weekend coastal cruiser like myself or most who post on here. Long range cruisers are more concerned with price, durability and heavy duty stitching. Sailors like me like a combination of performance and longevity.

Look you can put a bedsheet used sail on a boT and call it a Sailboat. It will move like a Sailboat too.

MHO. Sails , how and what they are made of is prime importance. They should best fit your style type of sailing to be cost effective.
On a Highlander like I drive you can by Toyos ( cheaper 50000 mile tires ) , Bridgestone / Goodyear- middle of the road, or Michelin- top of the line, smooth like butter ride and handling. The car rides with Toyos, but am I getting the best ride out of the car.

Unless you are a racer...most buy Dacron sails as Mark said.

There are Dacron sails though....and there are Dacron sails. Each maker of sail material , Challenge, Dimension Poliant, North etc make Dacron however within each sail the number and shape of the fibers make a huge difference. Just like the compound on tires. Thatís why I said previously compare apples with apples. Long range cruisers may not want to spend the extra for high modulus Marblehead with large threadcount . These sails will retain shape for more years and also give increased sail shape which can translate to less weather helm, increase in speed etc.

There is a misconception that itís cheaper to buy online. That people who use a loft pay more than they should for a sail. I donít find thAt to be true. There are several good on line sailmakes Iíve seen in threads here and my friends have used ( Rolly Tasker, National ). There Re several on line sailmakers that have had issues repeatedly ( look through the threads): most of the national lofts you see at the boAt shows Quantum, North, Doyle, UK, Ullman have generally good reputations. They have databases covering many boats. They will discuss sIls with you . Yes they are taught to upsell, but you donít have to fall for things you donít Need. Many come and measure you boat and fit the sails after they come in. That customer service is important. Some offer discounts on sail washing and Maintainence. They can generate computer models based on the sails showing load patterns.

If it isnít important to you all Dacron is the same. Looking further under the cover though all Dacron is not the same.

I just finished researching and bought a new sail. Yes I spent some time on it. Talked to the big on line companies , and the big lofts. I went into it looking to buy a tri radial, and slowly was convinced that the extra money would be better invested in other boat things and upper quality cross cut. Performance is importantant as is durability for me. I want the sail to last 10-15 years.

Here are some of my requiremts/ questions.
What was the material.
Low vs high modulus
Threadcount and how it was stitched
Weight of the sailcloth
Load patterns
Stitching to join panels - triple, zig zag, double
Corners reenforcement
Hardware- leech / luff line and cleat, pressed ring or high tech fabric attachment points, headboard ( main)
Foam luff
Reef points- main
Reef points- jib
Stitching material
Sacrifical material
Laminate or none

Sails are not equal. Time spent on finding a sail may not be either if you only worry about price. If all you want is a Dacron Toyo bedsheet, a couple clicks can get you there. My Doyle sail was $100 more than the Rolly Tasker. And as Mark also said negotiate a little. They haveroom to haggle. Ask for a couple free washes.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

ďSailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.Ē- Dennis Conner
post #7 of 12 Old 04-22-2018

Not sure what you mean by 'reasonable cost' but I wonder what the general consensus is on buying uses sails from somewhere like Maurypro or Bacon?
post #8 of 12 Old 04-23-2018

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristan35 View Post
Not sure what you mean by 'reasonable cost' but I wonder what the general consensus is on buying uses sails from somewhere like Maurypro or Bacon?
I've purchased from Minnie's before, and was very pleased with the deal I got for a decent used sail.

Horizons Found
1976 Newport 28

post #9 of 12 Old 04-23-2018

If your boat is an actively raced one-design, you may be able to find a two year-old sail with a lot of life in them. If that appeals to you, tell the lofts that sell new sails for your boat that you're in the market for a good used sail. They may use your interest in a used sail help close the sale of a new sail to another.

Otherwise, it doesn't make a lot of sense to pay 50% of new for sail with 50% of the life beat out of it. It seems the far better deal to buy one new and sell it for 50% of your purchase price when you've beat 50% of the life out of it.
post #10 of 12 Old 04-23-2018
bell ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt7245 View Post
Good Afternoon,

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a good source for replacement sails online for my Pearson 28-2. I would like to replace my main and possibly also purchase an asymmetrical spinnaker. I'm looking for reasonable quality at a reasonable cost. Primarily inshore use with some coastal cruising. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks very much.

Regards,

Matt
"reasonable" needs to be defined as to what it means to you

other than that what type of sail are you looking for; speed, cruising, "reasonable" performance, long life, durabably ?

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in