Stable beginner boat 15-17 ft. - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 39 Old 05-01-2018
Above 5 knots

Dock
Re: Stable beginner boat 15-17 ft.

Precision 165 keelboat is probably a good option... a Capri 14.2 keel, or Precision 15 keel will be stable.. Centerboard and stable don't usually belong in the same sentence. My personal preference is go a little bigger and get a Capri 18.

MINI MOO, a 1983 Wavelength 24 - she's a fast cow!
The Following User Says Thank You to SailingUphill For This Useful Post:
Arcb (05-01-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 39 Old 05-01-2018

Flying Scot is a good choice as is a Herreshoff 12 1/2. When you get better there’s are racing fleets to join. When you want to move up there’s a big following to buy it from you. The 12 1/2 is gorgeous and very stable.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #13 of 39 Old 05-01-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotMS View Post
Thank you - that is a beautiful boat. Can you speak to its stability and ease of rigging?
I think this might have been in reference to the CL16. I would describe them as very stable for a centreboard boat. Plus they have self bailing cockpits and several large bouyancy tanks in case you swamp.

Rigging is dead simple. Folding/mast hinge style, designed to be rigged by one person. If you get bored with day sailing, they can be raced and upgraded with a spinnaker and single trapeze, new from the factory because theyre still in business, or you can get a used boat, because theyve been in production since the late 60s. They tend to hold their value well.

post #14 of 39 Old 05-02-2018
Administrator

Dock

FYI - Moving this thread from Website Technical Support to General Discussion.

Cheers,

Erik
post #15 of 39 Old 05-02-2018
Doesn't sail enough

I think a Flying Scot could quickly become a lot of sail area to manage if your experience is limited (they are a blast though). I've never sailed a CL16, they are definitely popular "beginner boats", but they have even more SA/D.

I would recommend a Siren 17. Weight of a Flying Scot, sail area of a CL16....
Arcb likes this.

'78 Dolphin 31
post #16 of 39 Old 05-02-2018
Unhinged and Fluid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudsonian View Post
The Flying Scot is 19' but otherwise ticks your boxes. https://flyingscot.com/video/ I may wish to see what is being sailed locally. Boats that are actively sailed in your area will provide support and will provide a more vital market for your boat when you choose to move on.
My vote goes with the flying Scott. If you actually want to be able to take out 4 adults comfortably for a day on the lake, I think a 14 and 16’ might come up a bit short. The flying Scott has a good sized cockpit, good foredeck, it’s nice and low slung, easy to single hand, and leaves you plenty of room to grow
post #17 of 39 Old 05-02-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
I think this might have been in reference to the CL16. I would describe them as very stable for a centreboard boat. Plus they have self bailing cockpits and several large bouyancy tanks in case you swamp.

Rigging is dead simple. Folding/mast hinge style, designed to be rigged by one person. If you get bored with day sailing, they can be raced and upgraded with a spinnaker and single trapeze, new from the factory because theyre still in business, or you can get a used boat, because theyve been in production since the late 60s. They tend to hold their value well.
I started on a C/L16 ,I think it is a very stable beginer boat ,have never worried about it going over yet,as Arcb said the self bailers work great,very easy to set up ,,,yet now that Iknow more and have taken a few courses and such,find that most every thing a bigger (say 25-28) boat has mylittle C/l 16 has from a sliding traveller,main sail ,jib and spinnaker,a boom vang and a ingenious reefingsystem,it even has a nice motor mount( removable)where one could hang a light electric easily,,I paid 1200.00 for mine with trailer and full cover,they are simple boats so you can see easily if it has been abused or well kept( they are even stable in a 20 mph wind ,and can be maneuvered with the rudder sheared off,mmm. Ask me how I know),and as they are still in business was no problem get a replacement rudder,for my 30 yr old boat,the company ( in Ontario) were very helpfull.....Ralph
Arcb likes this.

Northern Alberta. "85" C/L 16. ,"85"S2 7.9 under repair.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 39 Old 05-02-2018 Thread Starter

Arcb, I have been looking for used CL16 or 14 and they seem to be in short supply. If you have any info on where to look it would be appreciated.
post #19 of 39 Old 05-02-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotMS View Post
Arcb, I have been looking for used CL16 or 14 and they seem to be in short supply. If you have any info on where to look it would be appreciated.
I just looked up C/L16 for sale Canada,,a couple for sale in Edmonton,,one w/2hp motor for 2000.00,,,one in Calgary,,,some more expensive(one with carbon fibre mast!!) and one that looks pretty good in Northshore/Laval for 1800.00 asking,,,,,,don,t know where you are..??....Ralph. On Kijjji. Laval is just north of Montreal
Arcb likes this.

Northern Alberta. "85" C/L 16. ,"85"S2 7.9 under repair.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Towguy; 05-02-2018 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Spelling
post #20 of 39 Old 05-02-2018

Patriotms, I dont think I know where you are. They are a Canadian boat, Niagara Falls specifically. So they are likely to be common in Canada and the border states, but likely harder to find further south.

I only see one for sale in Otario right now and its a suped up racing model with carbon fibre mast for $7k. Probably not what you are looking for.
The Following User Says Thank You to Arcb For This Useful Post:
HipToBeSquare (05-05-2018)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in