Sail down Mississippi Into the Gulf...? - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 36 Old 05-11-2018
1984 Ericson 35 3

One thing I haven't seen mentioned about the tentom is the bridge clearance. For many it isn't a problem but for us with a 50 foot stick the mast has to be taken down.
We brought our boat down the MS from lake pipen in Wisconsin two years ago. We learned the hard way about wing dams and that our depth finder was out of whack. Had to get pulled out 3 or 4 times.
Every lock we came to all the workers had already heard about us. Lol
We saw a lot of debris when going through the St. Louis area and the strong spring current allowed 10 kts of speed. The debris never caused us a problem. No damages at all, just a few bumping noises that were very unwelcome to us. This is our first ever boat and we had zero experience.
We've been sailing as we can on Kentucky lake for two year now. Making mistakes and learning the ropes. At normal summer pool we are able , with a 6' keel, to sail most areas of the lake without issue. I DO tend to stay in the channel (40-65 ft) most of the time though. I don't ever want to repeat my river performance. Lol
We plan on taking the Mississippi River to the gulf rather than the tentom. Our little diesel just sips fuel and we will take our 6 Jerry cans with. We only needed one on the previous trip, but we didn't know it at the time.
If you're coming towards the TenTom stop in at Paris Landing Marina on the southern end of KY lake and say hello if I'm / we're around.
Untrained aboard FREIA , Ericson 35-3 sloop.

" A man becomes old when his regrets surpass his dreams"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 36 Old 05-11-2018
Master Mariner

Re: Sail down Mississippi Into the Gulf...?

I don't know if one can actually "sail" the Mississippi.
We did the trip from Chicago to New Orleans and the majority of the way there were 30' levees on both sides. As we had to take down the masts to get into the Illinois River, "sailing" was a moot point for us, but my memory of the thousand miles or so of river was pretty windless. Not so for garbage, from docks to dead animals, as mentioned above.
It wasn't anything but damn hard, tiring work and not a trip I'd undertake again. Best have some pretty robust ground tackle when the garbage begins piling up on it when you are sleeping at anchor, in a pretty swift current. Obviously, you can not navigate at night.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #23 of 36 Old 05-11-2018
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
I havent done the Mississipi, but I have done a lot of research on it. I think it would be a really cool trip. You could get yourself inspired by rereading some Mart Twain.
I was so psyched up for my adventure down the Mississippi that I cut off a pair of jeans and made my crew call me "Huck" for two weeks before the trip. I was going to see America's heartland from her major waterway! Not so much! 30' levees for most of the trip meant all I saw were dirt walls, even when standing on the top of the pilothouse. Huge disappointment.
However, the Orinoco and Amazon Rivers were not, so if you want a couple of great river adventures, start saving now.
MarkofSeaLife and Arcb like this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

post #24 of 36 Old 05-12-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
I was so psyched up for my adventure down the Mississippi that I cut off a pair of jeans and made my crew call me "Huck" for two weeks before the trip. I was going to see America's heartland from her major waterway! Not so much! 30' levees for most of the trip meant all I saw were dirt walls, even when standing on the top of the pilothouse. Huge disappointment.
However, the Orinoco and Amazon Rivers were not, so if you want a couple of great river adventures, start saving now.
Yes, I enjoyed Tristan Jones tales of the Amazon, who cares how accurate they were, they were darn entertaining.

CalebD likes this.
post #25 of 36 Old 05-14-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitrock63 View Post
I have a 30 Ft. O'Day in Central Illinois. I've heard of others sailing down the Mississippi into the Gulf and to Florida. What would one encounter on that journey? Is debris in the river an issue? I would think so, I've seen whole trees floating down that river!

Perhaps we can help a bit. We have done the great loop and just on the second loop stopping in FL. Our trips also included Bimini, the Exumas, Abacos, Elutheras Bahamas, keys and dry tortugas. We have traveled down both routes on the rivers. The lower Mississippi and the Tenn-Tom. My wife has created quite detailed blogs of both routes.

Here is the start of the Tenn-Tom from Chicago..
https://sailbeauty.com/2015/09/28/wa-hoo/

Here is the start of the lower Mississippi from Chicago...
https://sailbeauty.com/2017/09/21/ha...larsen-marina/

If you prefer to read the very long complete blog..
www.sailbeauty.com

We have noticed debris in both rivers. Tenn-Tom was worse for us, but it is highly dependent on rain. Heavy rain brings more. But it is quite easy to dodge. Most of the time there is nothing.

Is there anything in particular you want to know?
Thanks,
Bryce
smitrock63 likes this.

Last edited by BryceGTX; 05-14-2018 at 12:54 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to BryceGTX For This Useful Post:
Aswayze (05-14-2018)
post #26 of 36 Old 05-14-2018

Excellent read Bryce! I appreciate you guys taking the time to put this info together.
post #27 of 36 Old 05-14-2018
Banned

Aswayze (and others) - thanks for all the great information. This thread clearly shows why "cut and paste" is actually a very good thing. Hopefully more people will continue to take the time to pull in great resources like this.

Sounds like we sailed right by Nolatom's office.

I was very used to sailing around big ships and lots of other commercial traffic having cut my chops in Galveston Bay around the Houston Ship Channel. But the Mississippi around NO was a whole 'nother animal. Much less room, much more current, and the bridges and locks getting on and off the river were a freakin' nightmare.

But that's the only piece we did. I definitely prefer sailing offshore myself.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2018-05-14 at 9.41.39 AM.png  
smitrock63 likes this.
post #28 of 36 Old 05-14-2018

Perhaps a few positive posts on why we love the Mississippi.

The lower Mississippi is quite easy to navigate, the river is considerably wider and deeper than the Tombigby. Quite well marked.. Many more anchorages on the lower Mississippi than the Tombigby. Current is consistently faster on the lower Mississippi.

Garmin shows relative water depths, statute mile markers and position of groynes. Lots of features on a Garmin. Notice the GPS speed of 10.3 mph. This is due to the normal river current of 5 mph coupled with a throttled back through water speed of 5 mph. Gives us fuel mileage of 15 miles per gallon. Our 40 gallon tank is good for 600 miles.

Use Google maps normal and satellite views to get idea of you position with respect to towns and such. This Google shows our anchorage.

And of course OpenCPN has great charts of the rivers.
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP2111.JPG   IMG_0976.jpg  
post #29 of 36 Old 05-14-2018

We love the huge sandy beaches on the Mississippi.. Hundreds of them.. only accessibly by water.
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP4038.JPG  
post #30 of 36 Old 05-14-2018

99% of the time, we are running on auto-pilot.. Every once in a while walk back to adjust for turns..

Don't forget the warmth... All the sailors going down the eastern seaboard are freezing, we are basking in the sun in swim suits..
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP2245.JPG  
smitrock63 likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in