Main Sail Plastic snap shackle removal - SailNet Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 05-10-2018 Thread Starter

Main Sail Plastic snap shackle removal

I need to replace my main (dirty so replacing with cleaner sail), but, with quite a bit of force using a flat blade screw driver they won't pop loose. I feel any more pressure and I'll break them. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 05-10-2018

Re: Main Sail Plastic snap shackle removal

Are you talking about the slides/slugs? Plastic snap shackle doesn't seem to make sense.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2
post #3 of 15 Old 05-10-2018 Thread Starter

I think they are called "plastic or nylon snap shackles". They attach the sail to the slugs that run in the mast.

post #4 of 15 Old 05-10-2018

Spray them with penetrating oil or whatever you've got handy and force the situation. If you break one or a few they don't cost a dollar apiece to replace.
smitrock63 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to drew1711 For This Useful Post:
smitrock63 (05-10-2018)
post #5 of 15 Old 05-10-2018

BTW, it occurs that sometimes those things are designed not to open up again. If this is the case, get out your hacksaw and go to Sailrite for replacements.
MarkofSeaLife and smitrock63 like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to drew1711 For This Useful Post:
smitrock63 (05-10-2018)
post #6 of 15 Old 05-10-2018

Remove the plastics including the cars. Use new ones for your clean sail. It will be much easier in case you need the old sail again.
smitrock63 likes this.
post #7 of 15 Old 05-10-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitrock63 View Post
I think they are called "plastic or nylon snap shackles". They attach the sail to the slugs that run in the mast.

Gotcha. Sailrite lists them as "snap-in shackles". When I hear snap shackle I think of the stainless things that are commonly used to attach a halyard to the head of a sail.

Those things can be hard to open as they are not made for routine opening and closing. Might be worth it just go with new ones as has been suggested.
smitrock63 likes this.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2
post #8 of 15 Old 05-10-2018
Sailnet Vendor

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitrock63 View Post
I need to replace my main (dirty so replacing with cleaner sail), but, with quite a bit of force using a flat blade screw driver they won't pop loose. I feel any more pressure and I'll break them. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Do they look like this?

or this?

We call them "bash-ons" at our loft. They are made by Bainbridge, part numbers A021, A022, A023, or A024

If they are like these, they can be opened carefully with a large flat head screw driver. I have done it many times. If you cut or gouge the shackle, I recommend that you discard it.

I'm a sailmaker and I've seen very old nylon shackles and slides break due to UV degredation. It's hard to know how old the ones that broke were, maybe 15 years old, maybe newer, maybe older.

If they are older than 10 years (less if you live in a high UV location), I would recommend you replace them, along with the slides/slugs.

The nylon gets brittle with age. They eventually break, especially the ones at the top of the luff. If you can break them when you open them, they are too brittle.

Judy B
Sailmaker
smitrock63 likes this.

Judy B
San Francisco Bay and Delta
F24 Trimaran
post #9 of 15 Old 05-11-2018
Grasshopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblumhorst View Post
Do they look like this?

or this?

We call them "bash-ons" at our loft. They are made by Bainbridge, part numbers A021, A022, A023, or A024

If they are like these, they can be opened carefully with a large flat head screw driver. I have done it many times. If you cut or gouge the shackle, I recommend that you discard it.

I'm a sailmaker and I've seen very old nylon shackles and slides break due to UV degredation. It's hard to know how old the ones that broke were, maybe 15 years old, maybe newer, maybe older.

If they are older than 10 years (less if you live in a high UV location), I would recommend you replace them, along with the slides/slugs.

The nylon gets brittle with age. They eventually break, especially the ones at the top of the luff. If you can break them when you open them, they are too brittle.

Judy B
Sailmaker

Judy B,

I have a question for you. All the shackles and slides on my boat are the nylon types, and I've replaced them all but three. These three are made out of some kind of metal, and they're located at the aft end of the mainsail foot near the clew. One is corroded into the boom, and I've tried several things to get it loose, but I've been unsuccessful so far. Got any ideas how I can get it loose?
smitrock63 likes this.
post #10 of 15 Old 05-11-2018

your best route would be to replace them all:

There we were, coming around the eastern point of Peaks Island. Winds were in the 15 knot range, gusting to 25. Earlier, I asked my lovely bride to trim the jig. The wind gusted and POP! My winch landed in my lap on the over end of the cockpit. Back at Peaks, I looked up the check my widex and saw a shacke just above the boom snap. Then the next one . . . and the next . . and the next . next. next nextnextnextnextxtxtxt. Yes, my sail unzipped from the mast in anout four seconds. So, I replaced them all. If you don't have a chandlery near by consider using Sailrite.com. Those guys and gals are great. I've bought many hundreds of dollars in stuff from them, including . . . . a mainsail kit and all new slugs and shackles. Also a sail pack parts and sundry items. Prices are good, shipping is reasonable, service is awesome. Abd the instructional videos are to die for!

Don

Portland, ME

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in