Water tankage - how much can/ do you carry? - Page 9 - SailNet Community
 93Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #81 of 93 Old 05-26-2018

Re: Water tankage - how much can/ do you carry?

We spent two months in the Exumas in 2016, mostly on the hook. We have a Spectra watermaker, and that provided all of our tank water from the time we crossed over into Bahamas, until we left. (Our tank is clean, and we drink out of it, so didn't want to risk contamination from any other water supplies.) Anyway, we are not water wasters - in my opinion - nor heavy conservers. We averaged 10 gal fresh water consumption per day, including drinking, washing dishes, showering each evening before bed and rinse down after swims, rinsing down snorkel gear, and cleaning the bbq griddle after use each day. And making ice for cocktails! We have 105 gal tank, and generally kept water level between 25-40 gal. Not filling the other 70 gal of water tank meant we were 70*8.3 lb/gal =580 lbs lighter when sailing. Which is a noticeable difference to performance.

The Spectra 150D made 7 gal/hr using 8 amps, which was fully sourced by the solar panels in a sunny afternoon run. We would run the watermaker every 2-3 days. It's impossible to ECONOMICALLY justify a watermaker for Exumas trip, but the convenience is well worth it if you can afford it. Plus I never had to test my partially-torn rotator cuff tear by hauling water jugs, nor was a slave to having to leave a remote anchorage because we were running short on water. Which also usually happens in bad weather, according to my non-WM friends! Plus we also made some good friends by delivering strangers 6 gal collapsible jugs of RO water.
capecodda and MarkofSeaLife like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 93 Old 05-26-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
We averaged 10 gal fresh water consumption per day, including drinking, washing dishes, showering each evening before bed and rinse down after swims, rinsing down snorkel gear, and cleaning the bbq griddle after use each day. And making ice for cocktails! We have 105 gal tank, and generally kept water level between 25-40 gal. Not filling the other 70 gal of water tank meant we were 70*8.3 lb/gal =580 lbs lighter when sailing. Which is a noticeable difference to performance.
If you substituted "100 gal tank" for your "105 gal tank", then this would be exactly describing us. Except for the BBQ rinsing thing - we don't do that, so it probably accounts for that extra luxurious 5gal you have over us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
Plus we also made some good friends by delivering strangers 6 gal collapsible jugs of RO water.
Probably few here would believe me if I described how many good friends we have made in so many countries just by our ability to willingly supply potable water to them. Not just fellow cruisers (those are definitely numerous), but more importantly, local people who have become our good friends. We just spent an exceptionally fun day with some we met this way here in the Bahamas, and Michele still corresponds with Kuna Indian friends met through water that we haven't seen in person for 3-4 years.

And we have loaned our two never-used 6gal water jugs out to others countless times.

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"
Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach" - For Sale!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #83 of 93 Old 05-26-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Michele still corresponds with Kuna Indian friends met through water that we haven't seen in person for 3-4 years.
Hooboy, that's bad grammar, but I'm letting it stand. Rest assured that we never expect to see that water again...

Mark
sailjumanji and copacabana like this.

post #84 of 93 Old 05-26-2018

Agree with above. Only hassle is avoiding putting chlorine in your tanks. Any one know a cheap easy way to test for chlorine in municipal water?
Any good cheap suppliers for the carbon filters?

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #85 of 93 Old 05-26-2018

Hardware stores sell chlorine test strips, but what is the issue with municipal chlorine? If you are concerned about the watermaker, the carbon block filter will take care of that. Most of the chlorine is out of the water after a few days, so if you wait after filling before running the watermaker, there won't even be much of a potential for problems. Once you are running on RO water, there isn't any issue at all with chlorine.

I just did a very quick search and came up with this: https://www.amazon.com/Pentek-Carbon..._&dpSrc=detail

They last a long time unless you are putting a heavy chlorine load through them, and since they are on the tank side, there is no sediment. I think ours has been in place for a couple of years now, but we run almost entirely on RO, so it doesn't see any chlorine load.

Mark

post #86 of 93 Old 05-26-2018
Not Finished Yet

I thought we were pretty frugal with water, but after reading this thread, I realize that is not true.

At anchor, in the tropics, 100 gallons of water lasts the two of us about 2 weeks. Then it is back to a marina to refill the tanks. 2 weeks is also about how long I can make produce and laundry last. It is also about when I run out of room to store trash (34-foot boat). Most of the water we use is to rinse the salt and sand off our bodies, dog, and snorkeling gear.

I would never have a watermaker unless I was going somewhere that visiting a marina once every two weeks was not an option. In that case, we would also have to do laundry aboard, which I would guess takes a lot of water.

As Mark pointed out above, the best way to conserve water is to turn off the pressure water and use foot pumps and solar showers. We swim several times a day, so washing off the salt and sand takes a lot of water.

Another good way to save water would be to plumb a pressure salt-water line for washing dishes, etc. Seems like most of the people who responded above use 12-25 gallons per person, per week.

post #87 of 93 Old 05-27-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Hell, that'd change in 5 minutes if you have a mistress in the marina!!

Mark,

Fortunately, my marina has shower every 100 yds or so over the mile or so in length. Being as I petty much daysail/race or weekend to one week max trips.....tankage is not as big a deal to me, vs someone that lives on a boat.

I guess I have to say "It depends"......if you need it or them!

Marty
Arcb likes this.

She drives me boat,
I drives me dinghy!

Last edited by blt2ski; 05-28-2018 at 11:42 AM.
post #88 of 93 Old 05-27-2018
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

" like WC Fields, "I never drink water because of the disgusting things that fish do in it.""

Actually, WC didn't quite said it that way. He famously said he didn't drink water because "fish f*** in it". Give the man his due, if the audience can't take the quote, let them follow Bart Simpson instead.

At 12+ pounds per gallon, one has to ask if those were metric pounds? Or, was someone drinking really high grade heavy water, deuterium, instead of the Perrier again?

How much water a person "needs" is highly variable depending on the temperature, exertion, and personal factors. In hot humid weather with any activity level, it is easy to go through an extra half gallon to gallon between 10am and 4pm.
post #89 of 93 Old 05-31-2018 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Just a few questions:

1-Coming from a similar thread about fuel, is water the limiting factor on how many days you can stay out without coming to a place to fill up ( assuming you don’t have a water maker) ?

2-Assuming you do not have/ use a watermaker how much can you carry?

3-Water weighs 12 lbs per gallon, do you ever not fill to capacity ?

4-How much water do you use daily assuming 2 people?

5-How many days can you go without refilling?

6-What conservation measures/ tactics have you put in place to ”stretch your water”

As the OP I rea.ize that threads will drift.

What’s apparent by the cruisers posting is that there are no real limits and most have water makers which certainly makes sense, if I were cruising I would certainly have one.

I posted this in general discussion as I assumed that cruisers would carry water makers.

Many of here are weekend warriors and take 2-3 week vacations on our boats with that in mind, What I was really asking was without a water maker how much water to you carry and what conservation measures do you employ ( questions 1 and 2) ?

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #90 of 93 Old 05-31-2018

We used a little over a gallon a day of water for the two of us.. We didn't ration water, we didn't stink, we just lived a normal cruising life in the tropics. The pressure water pump was turned off as we found that to be a gross water waster. We had foot pumps for both fresh and salt water. We used salt water for everything that didn't need fresh water. We didn't have a shower on board, didn't need no stinking shower as most days we spent a couple hours to sometimes the whole day snorkeling and free diving for food and shells. If we wanted a fresh water rinse would fill up a small pot and dump it on us or hang out in a passing downpour which seemed to happen reasonably regularly. We had something less than 80 gallons of water in two tanks but never went through a whole tank before it got refilled. In SoPac never had to schlep water to the boat. We caught rain in our awning and there were regular enough rain showers that we never came close to running out.

Tied up in a marina with fresh water at the dock, not using the salt water pump, and the pressure pump turned on, we'd go through a tank every week even though we used the shore facilities for showers and bathroom. We didn't try and waste water but not using the salt water pump and having the pressure pump turned on upped our usage.

Contrast our experience with a dock mate. He had to add a large capacity water maker and
a generator to power it. He's addicted to long fresh water showers so takes 3 or 4 a day and uses no salt water for anything including deck wash down or head(s). Yes, you can live a lifestyle that burns through more than a gallon a day but you have to work at it.

FWIW, when we left sunny SoCal getting at the tanks in the bilge were just a matter of lifting the floor boards and probing the tanks. After getting stuck in the doldrums with a failed engine, decided to pull the floorboards, check the tanks and switch over if we needed to. Unfortunately the floor boards had swelled and we couldn't get them up. Soldiered on on the one tank and figured we take a hatchet to the teak and holly floorboards when the selected tank ran dry. Fortunately we made Hiva Oa after 24 days and waited for a week checking in and exploring the bustling metropolis still on the one tank. Unfortunately it rained a bit every day with resulting high humidity and the floor boards weren't showing any signs of shrinking. Decided to sail around to the dry leeward side of the island. After week on that side were finally able to pull the floorboards and switch from the nearly dry 35 plus gallon tank to the full one.
oysterman23 likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in