Looks like they landed on their feet - Page 8 - SailNet Community
 158Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 141 Old 05-29-2018

Re: Looks like they landed on their feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyfromthenorth View Post
Mostly true, the one obvious exception would be Vagabond. Started off in an attainable boat, ended up in a million dollar cat. No longer interesting for me, but good for them.
I thought the lad on Vagabond worked industriously as a welder on offshore oil rigs for years and saved up something to the tune of a quarter of a million dollars to finance his first boat and then that was not enough to keep things going for very long. If I recall they were about to go under financially when Outramere made them the offer. The first boat he bought cash up front with money left in the bank would not have been attainable to most people in the USA where only a relatively small 4.3% earn over $200,000 a year and only about 16% earn $100,000 to $199,999 per year while Joe Average usually earns less than $50,000 per year according to the most recent figures. Most working folks would not view a $95,000 boat as attainable as it would take a lifetime of scrimping, sacrificing and saving to get there.

Wonder once the boat is signed over to them permanently after the 5 years if they will be able to keep it going if/when the sponsorship ends. Hopefully they are saving and investing while things are going pretty good as 5 years can pass very quickly.
mbianka likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 141 Old 05-29-2018
Master Mariner

Your figures seem way off base by what I've seen most cruisers sailing and spending as their annual budget. Obviously, I don't ask them how much they paid for their boat, but a general idea of boat prices is available on Yachtworld.com.
It's pretty easy to estimate their cruising budget as well, if you spend some time around them, and I'd say the majority seem to be spending between 20 and 25k annually.
I can't see how anyone in even your 16% bracket can end up there, unless they were genius investors, considering the costs of living while working toward their retirement to a boat. Many still have a home and a car or two back home which they must also support, at what cost I have no idea. Never mind the air fare of flying back and forth several times a year.
Bleemus likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #73 of 141 Old 05-29-2018

The YouTube vid income still amazes me. SLV was in a real slump, after getting the new Outremer, but have begun to grow again. They’re at $11k per vid. No way they were running short of funds, prior to the new boat. SVDelos is now in the lead, among sailing vids, at $14k per vid. In their last Q&A, they flirted with the idea of building a customer expedition boat. Wow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #74 of 141 Old 05-29-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
The YouTube vid income still amazes me. SLV was in a real slump, after getting the new Outremer, but have begun to grow again. They’re at $11k per vid. No way they were running short of funds, prior to the new boat. SVDelos is now in the lead, among sailing vids, at $14k per vid. In their last Q&A, they flirted with the idea of building a customer expedition boat. Wow.
Yeah they are talking about doing some Arctic sailing. Personally only ice I want to see is in a boat drink glass.
Maybe they are running out of "paradise" after all these years. Developing a case of "Cruise Blues".

Mike
Currently: Hunkering down for a bit.

post #75 of 141 Old 05-29-2018

Post Re: Looks like they landed on their feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
I wonder what a Bristol 29.9 in Bristol condition would have cost them when they paid the 15 g's? Surely not much over half that 70 grand, and they could have been sailing all that time?

I'm the owner of that particular Bristol 29.9. One thing to keep in mind is that over 1/3 of the 70K is tied up in the new engine and installation. The total also includes virtually every cost, including things like chart books. I thought it might be helpful for others who are trying to ballpark potential costs for doing a complete refit on a boat. We certainly could have done it for less, particularly if we had decided to keep the original Yanmar YSB 12, but we made a conscious decision with every purchase knowing that someday when we sell we won't get anything close to what we've put into it. That's o.k. with us, and at least now we know her inside and out. Whenever we start to have heart palpitations over what we've spent, we tell ourselves that with the exception of the hull and a few other items, everything else is new, and we couldn't buy a new 30 foot boat for anywhere close to that. Hey, whatever lets us sleep at night, right?

We only work on her during the offseason here in Connecticut, sailing during the summer. The plan was to continue working at our jobs before retiring and leaving this fall (I'm 49, Mr. cthoops is 58). Mr. cthoops had to unexpectedly stop working early when he almost died over the Christmas holidays and was diagnosed with congestive heart failure. We thought the dream would be on hold indefinitely, but fortunately he is steadily improving and we have a very understanding cardiologist who has said that if he continues to do well this summer, we should leave this fall anyway. Now we're even more glad that we decided to stick with a smaller boat, because I can easily single hand her if needed. We are looking forward to cutting the dock lines on September 6th barring any health setbacks. Fingers crossed.

"Pegu Club"
1977 Bristol 29.9

post #76 of 141 Old 05-29-2018
Doesn't sail enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
I would guess folks have been messing around with boats, ever since there have been boats, but they've only been doing it in popular culture for about 150 years that I know of. The first one I know of was John MacGregor, who published "1000 miles in a Rob Roy Canoe" in 1866. His boat was a 15'/80 lb sailboat/canoe highbrid that could sleep one in the bilge. He cruised the heck out of Europe and North Africa in his sailing canoes of his own designs.

MacGregor was a wealthy patent lawyer and could have afforded a much bigger boat, but that wasn't the kind of cruising experience he wanted. He wanted to be one with nature, so he chose a boat design that would get him closest to it with the least amount of hassle.
You can find the canoe he used to cruise the Jordan River in the Daniel Rowing Centre in Tel Aviv - I only know that because that's where you take your written tests for CG licenses here.

Boy that is not a lot of boat. Didn't realize he slept on that one. He was "cruising" through deadly malarial swamps.
Arcb likes this.

'78 Dolphin 31
post #77 of 141 Old 05-29-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Your figures seem way off base by what I've seen most cruisers sailing and spending as their annual budget. Obviously, I don't ask them how much they paid for their boat, but a general idea of boat prices is available on Yachtworld.com.
It's pretty easy to estimate their cruising budget as well, if you spend some time around them, and I'd say the majority seem to be spending between 20 and 25k annually.
I can't see how anyone in even your 16% bracket can end up there, unless they were genius investors, considering the costs of living while working toward their retirement to a boat. Many still have a home and a car or two back home which they must also support, at what cost I have no idea. Never mind the air fare of flying back and forth several times a year.
So the attainable boat is only attainable to a portion of the 4.3% and therefore not really attainable except to a very select few. I thought the figures from the 2018 US Wage Report made it pretty evident that the $95,000 boat really was not attainable by very many people. Perhaps that is why so many are giving them away for a $1 or just walking away and letting them sink at the mooring.
post #78 of 141 Old 05-29-2018

Quote:
They had put the old boat up on the hard and had flown back to Australia almost out of funds and were about to go belly up so were seeking jobs to get money saved up to start again when they got the offer is what I recall from the piece they did explaining how/why they got the new boat and were able to afford it. Are you saying that was just fake drama?

Its a 5 year 2 fifteen minute videos a month deal.

Last edited by SeaStar58; 05-29-2018 at 08:04 AM.
post #79 of 141 Old 05-29-2018

Quote:
I was wondering where these numbers come from. Not disputing them, just wondering how you arrived at them. That's some pretty nice coin.
post #80 of 141 Old 05-29-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedboy View Post

Boy that is not a lot of boat. Didn't realize he slept on that one. He was "cruising" through deadly malarial swamps.
Robert Louis Stevenson's cruising sailboat of choice was also a Rob Roy sailing canoe. I suspect he could have afforded a bigger yacht if he had wanted to, but I don't think that was really the point for him. The same as he elected to take a single donkey with him for his mountain expeditions rather than a team of Porter's.

Some folks get lots of satisfaction from the independence offered by a smaller boat and you don't need to be one of SeaStars less than 4.3% to own one either.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in