Cost to install rolling furling 30 ft oday? - SailNet Community
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Jeff_H
  • 1 Post By jblumhorst
  • 1 Post By roverhi
  • 1 Post By JimsCAL

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 06-05-2018 Thread Starter

Cost to install rolling furling 30 ft oday?

I've never done it but really would like it. Dragging my head sail out and putting it up is wearing this old guy out!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-05-2018
Administrator

Re: Cost to install rolling furling 30 ft oday?

Assuming that you either were 63 when you joined SailNet or that you were born in 1963, you are still a young man. Hauling that jib around will keep you in shape. Think of it as Boaga (Boat yoga). During the winter bring the jib home and so Jib curls, in which you bend over pick up the sail bag off the floor, haul it up to your chest at arms length, curl it under your chin and then over your head. Do 40 reps and you won't need a furler. (On the other hand the hernia operation may make the furler look inexpensive.)

But seriously, you are probably looking at buying something like a Harken Mark VI Unit 1. You should be able to buy all of the parts for the furler, foil, retrieval line, turning blocks and so on, for somewhere around $3,000-3200. It will cost several hundred dollars per jib to have luffropes added and the hanks removed. I think that the newer furlers can be installed on a wire forestay, but they used to recommend converting the forestay to a rod forestay and may still. That is a pretty expensive line item.

I don't know what they cost to install, since the last time someone I knew added one to their boat, we installed it together. It was surprisingly quick and easy.

Jeff
smitrock63 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff_H For This Useful Post:
smitrock63 (06-06-2018)
post #3 of 9 Old 06-05-2018
Sailnet Vendor

Dock

There are two brands of furlers that are very managable projectss for the competent do-it-yourselfer, so you can save money on installation if you're handy.

At the low end of the price range are the inexpensive but reliable CDI furlers. The CDI FF7 would fit an OEM Oday 30. You can install it yourself over your existing forestay that has an open body turnbuckle. Street price is around $1100 + $130 for ground shipping in the USA or Canada. Add another $150 for stanchion blocks (street price on Selden 1" diameter stanchion blocks is 3 for $75, and furling line (low cost).

Or take a look maybe at the Furlex 204S #03502562 kit, which comes in a DIY kit included an new 1/4" forestay for about $2400 street price plus $150 shipping in USA. The kit includes a 1x19 stainless steel headstay, (4) stanchion blocks, low stretch furling line, removable split drum for conversion to racing, twin groove aerodynamic extrusion, toggle for stem head, (2) halyard fairleads and top guard.
http://www.seldenmast.com/files/1452.../597-147-E.pdf

As Jeff mentioned before, the Harkens furlers are are first class and I'm sure you'd love it, but they are a pricier than the Furlex, and require more expertise to specify and install.

Both of these are very friendly to the average Do-it-yourselfer. I have worked on boats with CDI's and Furlex's many times, and they are quite reliable and easy for the DIY person.

The Aldos and a few others might be worth a look, but I'm not particularly keen on them.

In my experience, it's not cost effective to convert a hank on sail to a roller furler sail. You need to add a UV cover, covert the luff from hanks to a luff tape, and add a luff pad so it furls well. You should also add extra large reefing reinforcment patches at the head and tack. That's going to cost you at least $400 at a loft. and when you're all done, it still won't work as well as purpose-designed furling sail because the draft won't be optimized for furling. It's usually more cost effective to buy a new RF genoa that's made for furling and sell the hank on one on eBay.

Hope this helps you figure out your options.

Judy
smitrock63 likes this.

Judy B
San Francisco Bay and Delta
F24 Trimaran

Last edited by jblumhorst; 06-05-2018 at 10:49 PM. Reason: I’m meant to write “Jeff” but my fingers typed “Rich”!
The Following User Says Thank You to jblumhorst For This Useful Post:
smitrock63 (06-06-2018)

post #4 of 9 Old 06-06-2018

I replaced the forestay in my ProFurl. You'll need new wire unless there is enough turnbuckle length to reuse the old wire. On the ProFurl you can't thread the wire with a terminal through the furler extrusions. Some you can. Check before you buy. You'll need 2 StaLok or what ever terminals work for you. Harken and others sell block kits for running the furling line and you'll need about 50' of furling line. I tried 1/4" but it was just two hard on the hands and swapped it out for 5/16". 3/8" would be better if the furler drum will handle the larger diameter line.

You'll need a Mast Climber, rock climbing gear or someone to hoist you up the mast. Did the installation by myself only needing help for a few minutes when hauling up the stay/furler extrusion so as not to kink it. Took a couple of hours to do the installation.
smitrock63 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to roverhi For This Useful Post:
smitrock63 (06-06-2018)
post #5 of 9 Old 06-06-2018 Thread Starter

Thanks for that reply. That's pretty much a deal breaker for me. I love my 30 O'day but within a year or two plan to upgrade to a bigger and newer boat and will be selling this beautiful girl. And you're right, I am still a young man in many ways. I hit the gym 5 days a week so the effort isn't so much the issue, it's more the time it takes when solo sailing or being the only one aboard who knows how to set and trim the sails and all of that!!

Boaga?

Haa.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-06-2018 Thread Starter

It does help. From everyone's responses, looks like I'll keep my hank system. Simply not a wise choice (economically speaking). I plan on moving to a larger and newer boat in a couple of years, so, thanks for the advice and helping me make a decision.

post #7 of 9 Old 06-06-2018

Agree that if you are only going to keep the boat for a couple of years, installing a furler doesn't make economic sense. How about a jib bag so you can keep on the bow and save the hauling and rigging?
Sal Paradise likes this.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2
post #8 of 9 Old 06-06-2018
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitrock63 View Post
Thanks for that reply. That's pretty much a deal breaker for me. I love my 30 O'day but within a year or two plan to upgrade to a bigger and newer boat and will be selling this beautiful girl. And you're right, I am still a young man in many ways. I hit the gym 5 days a week so the effort isn't so much the issue, it's more the time it takes when solo sailing or being the only one aboard who knows how to set and trim the sails and all of that!!

Boaga?

Haa.
The suggestion of a jib bag is a good one. These days, I use custom jib bags that have the typical opening with a draw string at one end, but with a zipper on the top side so I can loose flake the sail and stick it in the bag. I have a strop that is stitched into the sides of the bag that creates handles that allows me to carry the bag like a (big bulky) suitcase. It makes it easier to haul the sail to the bow and keeps it organized so the luff is in the right place to raise the sail.

When I had a boat with hanks, I used a similar bag that allowed the hanks to remain on the stay with the sheets attached. It looked like a short fat mainsail cover with the end stitched shut, and a zipper on top (or bottom). It was easy to flake the sail against the hanks and roll it towards the forestay. I would hang the aft edge of the sail up off the deck using the jib halyard so the sail did not mildew. Worked great and was easy to use. For single-handing I had a downhaul attached to the halyard that allowed me to bring the sail down from the cockpit, and lines on the lifelines that kept the sail from going over the side.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
post #9 of 9 Old 06-06-2018

smitrock63 , in the book the Sailors Sketchbook https://www.amazon.com/Sailors-Sketc...ors+sketchbook
Bruce shows how to rig a down haul and set up a reef system for your hank on head sail . If you have no interest in that , you should get the book anyway . Be prepared for a good read as Bruce talks about a guy like you and your boat . Please don't take that the wrong way it's a good thing .

Westsail 28 , Patricia A

Last edited by Markwesti; 06-06-2018 at 01:54 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in