Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 54DS - SailNet Community
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Minnewaska
  • 1 Post By Minnewaska
  • 1 Post By Echappe

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 06-11-2018 Thread Starter

Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 54DS

We recently purchased a 2005 Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 54DS to eventually retire onto and long distance cruise. She is currently in Oxford, Maryland undergoing a batch of refit work as she was sailed hard by the prior owners. Fortunately, almost all of the work required is cosmetic in nature. We've also done a bunch of refit tasks ourselves over the past few months while we wait our turn to go into the paint shed for hull Awlgrip. At that point she will be about 90% restored.

Our immediate plan once she goes back in the water is to deliver her back to the Great Lakes where we can finish bringing her back to her former glory and prepare for our retirement sail-away in 3-4 years.

Looking to connect with other 54DS owners to share experiences and information on this boat. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-11-2018

Dock
Re: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 54DS

We have an avid owner on this forum. If he hasn't sunk his boat, yet again, I am sure he will say hello 🙂

Welcome

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #3 of 8 Old 06-11-2018

Who is the avid owner that sunk his boat?

What year and configuration is the boat? Our is an '04, with the owner cabin aft and a v-berth forward, with divisible mid-ship pipe berth to port and a double to starboard. We also have a 100hp turbo Volvo-Penta, although, most following years have a Yanmar. If you have the Volvo, I have some serious tips.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #4 of 8 Old 06-11-2018

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Who is the avid owner that sunk his boat?

Oh. You're having a good day

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #5 of 8 Old 06-11-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Oh. You're having a good day
Must be that down under Aussie sense of humor, no one else on the planet understands. No wonder the Kiwi's don't get you guys.

No boat of mine has ever failed to get me home. Yet.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-11-2018 Thread Starter

Thanks for the further replies so I can get my post count up. We are a 2005 with the same layout as yours: owners aft, v-berth forward and divisible mid-forward cabin which we currently have in undivided mode to create sort of a mini-master. This was the layout we wanted. We have non-teak decks and have the 110 hp Yanmar, which was installed new about 6 years ago. We have a Yanmar on our other boat and love it. Sails were replaced 5 years ago with Quantum cruising carbon, generator was replaced about 7 years ago with Northern Lights 9.5 KW. Dodger and bimini canvas was replaced 4 years ago. That was all doen by the prior owner, but he ignored the cosmetic stuff.

We are having the flag blue hull Awlgripped, the rub rail replaced, the exterior brightwork stripped and re-varnished, the salon interior wood refinished (staterooms are fine, but salon, galley and nav area took a beating) and we just had the leather salon cushions re-upholstered. On our own we replaced all the non-recessed interior light fixtures, all the pull-out faucets, re-did all the mirrors in the heads, and replaced any other interior hardware that was showing signs of pitting/corrosion. We've been doing a ton of rubbing out of gelcoat on decks because the prior owner just let it go and we're finally seeing the gloss come back. We also had to clean the "flash corrosion" off of many of the exterior stainless steel hardware fittings. Finally, I replaced the lifelines and 4 of the stanchions that were bent.

It's been a lot of work, but were seeing the light at the end of the tunnel and think we will have a pretty impressive boat when we're done. Looking forward to sailing her as my experience with the sea trial was very positive on that front.

Jeff W
post #7 of 8 Old 06-11-2018

She sounds great! I have a good friend that loves our boat and has been active looking for one. I nearly sold it to him last Fall, but we passed on buying another boat and am glad we did. I’ve suggested he do exactly what you’re doing. Find a good hull and spend a year or two refitting her. It would be their last boat. They’ve also considered buying new, so the economics wouldn’t be worse.

I’m still running our original motor (1300 hrs) and genset (1000 hrs), although, it sounds like we take much better care of them than your PO. We also have original teak side decks, which are near end of life. They look fine from afar, but are worn thin. That refit will hurt. I had our standing rigging inspected last year. The lifelines failed and I replaced them with uncoated wire, but the stays still looked good. I bet the next big thing to fail, unexpectedly, with be one of the 14 year old air conditioning units. I keep paying to nurse them back to life, with gas top ups.

Our next scheduled big deal are the keel bolts. I’ve already purchased the replacements and am having a tool made to extract them, when we get on the hard this Fall. The other 2004 model I know also needed to do theirs a few years back, so I suspect this is about the useful life. Part of the issue is the bilge water/moisture from ingress down the keel stepped mast. When I install new, I plan to coat with aircraft grade corrosion protection. I fared the keel joint with 4200 a few years back, as tension absolutely has to open that joint on a flat bottom.

Jeanneau 54DS

post #8 of 8 Old 07-14-2018

How’s the refit going?

Jeanneau 54DS

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in