Uscg docs\state docs - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 06-20-2018 Thread Starter

Uscg docs\state docs

Hi everyone. My wife and I are leaving on our sailboat soon to travel first through the carribian, and potentially much farther. The question I have is this. My state only provides a transferable registration for proof of ownership on boats pre 1987. Our boat is an 85. Should I try for coast guard documentation? Our boat is 27' but is under the 5 net ton mark they use. Will our registration be good enough to get I to and out of foreign ports? And if we decide to stay home a few years will it become invalid based on location of use? What if it expires while were gone? Any advise would be awesome. We are currently in new York.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 06-20-2018 Thread Starter

Can't figure out how to edit the post. *If we stay AWAY from home for a few years* was the intended sentence
post #3 of 16 Old 06-20-2018

Re: Uscg docs\state docs

USCG documentation is virtually required for international travel.

Are you sure your boat is under 5 net tons? That's a little surprising to me. Did you use the proper formulas?

https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/D...-09-123757-680

Guessing at some typical number for a 27' boat, I get

GRT = S x K x L x B x D = (0.5 x 1 x 27 x 9.5 x 6) /100 = 7.7

NRT = M x GRT = 0.9 x 7.7 = 6.9

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina

post #4 of 16 Old 06-20-2018 Thread Starter

You would be correct. I was unaware that when they said 5 net tons they were not referring to the actual weight of the vessel. Using their formula I am well over 5 net tons. Thank you for the clarification! Your link was incredibly helpful
post #5 of 16 Old 06-20-2018
Master Mariner

If you are not in a hurry, I will be checking out of Grenada in the next few weeks, and into Trinidad. If you PM me on the first of next month to remind me, I'll ask the authorities in both countries. Of course, that's only 2 of many, but it should give you a pretty good idea as most WI countries have similar rules.
The French Islands go not require any paperwork other than what you type and print off their computer, so that's 3 places you don't have to worry about.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
ďBelieve me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.Ē ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #6 of 16 Old 06-20-2018 Thread Starter

We plan on leaving in September so were not in a big hurry. The information would be awesome! Thanks for the info on the French islands
post #7 of 16 Old 06-21-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nautitime View Post
... I was unaware that when they said 5 net tons they were not referring to the actual weight of the vessel...
That's a common misconception. GRT/NRT is basically a buoyancy calculation that is roughly related to how many tons of cargo a vessel can carry without sinking.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #8 of 16 Old 06-21-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
USCG documentation is virtually required for international travel.
where did you get this info from?
post #9 of 16 Old 06-21-2018

I think it's more correctly stated that a National form of registration is technically required for international travel. If one is going to third world countries, everything is a crap shoot. Not only do their rules vary, the enforcement varies. One's experience one day, could be entirely different the next. The Bahamas were famous for making up the rules and, more particularly, the fees, when immigrating years back. While I could tell that corruption caused some of that, I truly believed that the person I was dealing with on an out island, often didn't know the right rules and just made them up.

The form that is guaranteed to be acceptable is to document with the USCG. If you want to limit yourself to where someone told you they got away with a state reg and have to wonder if it will work for you too, by the time you get there, that's the skippers call.
SanderO likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #10 of 16 Old 06-21-2018

Get documentation. Itís so much easier. For some the big question is which country. Iím US documented. In retrospect if I was returning to the US less often (so didnít need cruising permits) I would have been better served carrying another countryís flag. I remain US documented due to a sense of patriotism not logic. Some friends have bought (thatís what it boils down to) citizenship in other countries and documented in yet another after tax and estate lawyer advise. Iím on the cusp where I donít pay a significant penalty for being a US citizen on a US flagged vessel but itís surprisingly low where going the other way makes economic sense. Itís not a avenue just for 1%ers.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in