20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 44 Old 06-24-2018
Dirt Free

Re: Crab Pots, friend or foe

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlin-easy View Post
I've met some ladies that can pick a crab faster than you can peel a lemon,
Well if they gave you the crabs in the first place .........
miatapaul, CalebD and travlin-easy like this.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 44 Old 06-25-2018

I have had three catches in Charleston harbor in past two years. I agree that there ought to be a law about float colors. Lots of guys here seem to favor black, dark blue or sea green. Go figure. Anyway each time I have been caught I was able to get myself off. Simple trick. Point into whatever current exists... go below and grab drive shaft with hand and spin it in reverse. Don't use engine for this as there may be too much torque. But working by hand you will feel if there is room to rotate the shaft. Always nice to see that float pop up behind. Just don't forget that if you have to dive on it to cut you have now entered into a salvage situation in which case you have full rights to contents. :-)
TakeFive likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to DaisysDriver For This Useful Post:
TakeFive (06-26-2018)
post #23 of 44 Old 06-25-2018

DaisysDriver sez: "... there ought to be a law about float colors."

Here along the Neuse, they seem to like plastic milk jugs.

post #24 of 44 Old 06-25-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attikos View Post
DaisysDriver sez: "... there ought to be a law about float colors."

Here along the Neuse, they seem to like plastic milk jugs.
Same here in RI. Makes the wate look all junked up. While the pots are more numerous by multiples in Maine, they must have a law that requires a specific design and color coding. Much more professional looking. Around here we just see a permit number written on a random plastic jug.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #25 of 44 Old 06-25-2018
美國佬

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlin-easy View Post
I guess I'm fortunate in that I have a full-keel boat that does not snag lobster and crab pot float lines. I sail through them all the time at night, hear them rubbing along the hull and they all slide off the end of the rudder without snagging anything. :
This is my experience as well. I've never snagged one with my folkboat in years of trying.

1964 Whitby 25
Severna Park, Maryland
post #26 of 44 Old 06-25-2018 Thread Starter
bell ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Same here in RI. Makes the wate look all junked up. While the pots are more numerous by multiples in Maine, they must have a law that requires a specific design and color coding. Much more professional looking. Around here we just see a permit number written on a random plastic jug.
Maine definitely has better laws , or people follow them better, about the lobster floats. In Mass I especially like the prestone antifreeze jug floats
Minnewaska likes this.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #27 of 44 Old 06-27-2018
Ranger 29

In Maine you can use the placement of lobster pots to help you navigate shallow areas. Where there are pots, its deep enough to sail. If there seems to be a hole in the middle of a field of pots, that is where the rock or ledge you are seeing on the chart/GPS is. I have picked up my share of pots as my rudder configuration has a little bite in it where the partial skeg ends. The rope can sneak in there and get stuck. If I had my druthers they would be outlawed from channels, but that does not seem to get enforced in Maine.
post #28 of 44 Old 06-28-2018

I don't remember the type of sailboat, but I was delivering it from Main to Newport, Rhode Island. I told the owner I would normally do the trip nonstop but because of all the lobster pots, I would stop for the night. He told me not to worry, he never ever snagged a pot with his boat. I delivered the boat, sailed right through hundreds of pots, and never got one snag. I can't explain it.
post #29 of 44 Old 06-28-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimF54 View Post
. Where there are pots, its deep enough to sail.
Unless it's on the beach.

Keth

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
post #30 of 44 Old 06-28-2018
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
Fish traps can be a pain in the ass...
FISH TRAPS SHOULD BE INTERNATIONALLY ILLEGAL! They are generally poorly marked, therefore very hard to avoid and usually set in high traffic areas.
They, like longlines, have a massive by-catch which is thrown away by the fishermen. They kill indiscriminately, big fish, little fish, spawning fish, and when the line does get cut by a boat, they continue to kill for YEARS.
I haven't seen a grouper of any size in the West Indies for years and neither has any fisherman I've asked, and this can be directly linked to the use of fish traps throughout the islands.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in