Crab Pots, friend or foe - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 44 Old 06-28-2018
Master Mariner

Re: Crab Pots, friend or foe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisysDriver View Post
I have had three catches in Charleston harbor in past two years. :-)
That's interesting. I ran an 80' three-masted schooner in Charleston Harbor for three seasons, doing 3 to 4 two hour trips a day, 7 days a week, and never once caught a trap line in the prop or on the rudder/keel.
With up to 49 passengers and 3 crew on deck, keeping a sharp lookout wasn't even remotely possible. Altering course radically to avoid a trap was even less possible unless I wanted to decapitate a number of passengers each day.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 Old 08-27-2018 Thread Starter
bell ringer

So todaiy we left Maine. After weeks of lobster pots dodging I don’t want to ever read you whinny Chesapeake people complain about the few and far between crab pots again!
fallard and Minnewaska like this.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Don0190; 08-28-2018 at 04:33 PM.
post #33 of 44 Old 08-27-2018
Dirt Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
So todai left a Maine. After weeks of lobster pots I don’t want to even read you whinny Chesapeake people complain about the few and far between crab pots r
So why do you ?

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.

Last edited by boatpoker; 08-27-2018 at 07:35 PM.

post #34 of 44 Old 08-27-2018

The main reason there is a lack of crab pots in Chesapeake Bay is there is a lack of crabs - it ain't rocket science.

Gary
post #35 of 44 Old 08-27-2018

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
So todai left a Maine. After weeks of lobster pots I don’t want to even read you whinny Chesapeake people complain about the few and far between crab pots r

So we can assume you will avoid stopping here on the Chessie and go straight back where you came from ......the “Red Tide” State right?

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #36 of 44 Old 08-27-2018

Sorry, I haven't been following this thread, so I'm coming in late,.

A few weeks ago we were in Maine and took the ferry from Port Clyde to Monhegan Island. There were thousands of lobstah traps, spaced so closely they were seemingly spaced narrower than the boat's beam. The captain just went straight through. I went forward to introduce myself and get to know him a little, and asked him about the traps. He said his props (twin screws) had cages around them so he could drive straight through without snagging them.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #37 of 44 Old 08-28-2018

Absolutely loved cruising Maine, as my thread on the subject described. However, the pots do get old. If anything feels good about leaving, it’s the ability to take your eyes away from the bow for a few seconds. The practical issue with lobster pot density, is how difficult it is to remain close hauled or on any particular tack. You also find yourself traveling much slower than the wind, or especially your motor, will allow. Coastal hopping takes longer than one may expect.

Still, it is all worth it. Love Maine. (Every few years.....)

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #38 of 44 Old 08-28-2018 Thread Starter
bell ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
So we can assume you will avoid stopping here on the Chessie and go straight back where you came from ......the “Red Tide” State right?
Actually I’m “from” Massachusetts far as boating goes. I don’t have plans to either stop in or avoid the Chessie. That red tide problem will clear up by time I get down there.

post #39 of 44 Old 08-28-2018
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

Fishpots in the Eastern Caribbean are often marked with clear coke bottles, really hard to see especially in the rain.

Generally set on the 100 ft line but can be found anywhere up to 200 ft.
post #40 of 44 Old 08-30-2018 Thread Starter
bell ringer

At anchor in the little anchorage in Gloucester Ma. You know what's missing from this anchorage, ........................ lobster pots!!!! And the lobster boats went out this morning and you know what they failed to do, .............................drive right through the anchorage at speed making wakes!

There's 2 things you will never experience in Maine.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in