Crab Pots, friend or foe - SailNet Community
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 Old 06-22-2018 Thread Starter
bell ringer

Crab Pots, friend or foe

I learned to sail in the Northeast and spent 7 years sailing there. In the NE there are lobster pots EVERYWHERE!!!!!! You can walk across them to shore sometimes and they are even right in the middle of the channel. Even out 20+ miles from the shore in 100' depth you will come across one and my theory is that they have a magnetic attraction to fiberglass because even if it is the only one in a 10 mile radius you will be going right to it. And there's not just 1 trap on that float, there may be 10+ on a long "stop your boat dead it's tracks" daisy chain.

But down "south" there are crab pots instead and I've read how they are "everywhere". But after 2 years now I feel there are a lot of them, but it is nothing compared to the lobster pot population. And they aren't dropped in the channels and from watching them it appears there's only 1 trap to a float. Another thing I've become aware of for the crab pots is that they aren't really in deep water. They seem to be on depth contours starting right about 6' and less. To me this has become a great value as I can almost navigate into a creek etc. based on the crab pots! I went into a creek the other day that was narrow (probably wouldn't even have risked it 2 years ago) and staying between the lines of pots I was in the deep water (the 8' water). And coming around some point I can tell where the shoal is, because that's where the pots are! What a plus for those of us new to these spots.

So to you crab pot waters sailors/boaters:

Are crab pots your friend, or your foe?

I vote friend!

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Don0190; 06-22-2018 at 04:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 06-22-2018

Re: Crab Pots, friend or foe

It's not that simple a question to me. Of course, I've not sailed Maine waters for a comparison.

I respect the hard work watermen do and the conditions that--at least some-- work in.

Crab pots don't bother me in the open waters of the bay. I have to be more careful when under power; sailing with folding props is no problem, and the pots give me a clue about the current.

My problem with crab pots (really those who set them) is that with the thousands and thousands of acres of bay of appropriate depth for setting a crab pot, watermen set pots in the relatively few acres that are protective anchorages. Seems to be particularly bad if there is a launch ramp nearby.
post #3 of 44 Old 06-22-2018
Master Mariner

I really think that it depends whether it's wrapped around your gear or if you are sitting in Joe's Stone Crab, in Miami.
jephotog, nolatom, arf145 and 3 others like this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

post #4 of 44 Old 06-22-2018 Thread Starter
bell ringer

Btw-I’ve caught a few lobster pots onmy keel, I’ve never caught a crab pot

post #5 of 44 Old 06-22-2018

Prawn trap floats can be sucked just under by big current. Close eye for surface disturbance is needed to avoid hanging by your prop until slack when you can dive with a knife. Be prepared in the inside passage.
post #6 of 44 Old 06-22-2018
Tartan 27' owner

Don0190,

I think you might change your tune a bit if you ever have to jump into the nettle filled water to dislodge a crab pot that has somehow mysteriously grabbed your rudder or keel.
Of course it is best if you can avoid cutting the line of some hard working bayman's equipment. Then again, if the line is wrapped around your prop it might be good to have a nice sharp knife.

"The cure for anything is salt water~ sweat, tears, or the sea." ~Isak Denesen

Everybody has one:

post #7 of 44 Old 06-22-2018

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Foe

You’ve obviously never wrapped a Prop with one.

Your observations are spot on except:

Some areas like the Pawtuxet they are in 15 ft. Look tomorrow as you leave Solomon’s to enter the Chessie. There are hundreds on the north shore and point. Yes they usually signify shallower water...but 6 ft is not at all close to universal. Many in the northern Chesapeake are in water close to 15 ft.

Crab pots should all be neon colors like yellow, orange . Which numnut crabber does blend in green or even black. You can’t see them. And if there are whitecaps the pots are hard to see in any color...especially going with the wind.

Yes they usually lay them in a line, however some crabber seems obnoxiously scew the line sometimes just to be different.

Current areas , not usually the Chesapeake can have a crazy aff3ct where the line/ float is. It overrides the wind So you travel along expecting the bouy to be downwind at its length to the wind......but the current takes the float in the opposite direction. Therefore the line is no5 where you think it is.

Repeat after me : CRABPOTS ARE NOT MY FRIEND 🦀🦀🦀🦀🦀🦀🦀😈😈😈😈😈😈⛵️⛵️⛵️⛵️⛵️🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬👹🌪🌪🌪🌪🌪🌪
JimMcGee and slap like this.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #8 of 44 Old 06-22-2018

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Real Chesapeake sailors do not cozy up to crabpots we hate them EXCEPT we love to eat what they catch
�������������������������������������������������� ����������������������������������

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #9 of 44 Old 06-23-2018

I’m heading to Maine in a few weeks. Think I’ll defer my answer. As much as I love the sailing grounds, the feeling of heading offshore to return home and the ability to take a 10 second watch break is liberating.

I do find them very instructional to guests that I let take the helm. They keep a watchful eye and usually pick them out well ahead and want to begin steering away. When I tell them to maintain their heading, they get nervous. Sure enough, a set and drift lesson is upon them. By the time we get to the pot, we’ve drifted to leeward. Not so effective in Maine, as there are 1000 more to leeward.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #10 of 44 Old 06-23-2018 Thread Starter
bell ringer

My wife calls the northern lobster pot floats "sea monsters", so far she hasn't given a name to the crab pot floats.

Once in Maine she kept asking "you see that pot, you see that pot" so much that it make me crazy and I told her to go below for a time out. This by the way was in the CHANNEL!

I never wrapped a lobster pot in my prop even though a did catch a couple on my keel. So I don't see why I would expect to catch one of these few crab pots! One on the advantages to having a deeper draft boat is I don't cut across a corner.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in