Smoking Outboard - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 06-25-2018 Thread Starter

Smoking Outboard

I know that smoking is bad for me, but what does it mean when my outboard smokes?

The skinny: I have a brand-spankin' new 8 HP four stroke Tohatsu on my Oday 23. The other night, I noticed that some smoke was coming from the unit while it was running. I couldn't see exactly where it was coming from as it was clearly coming out of the back somewhere.

Not a lot of smoke, but enough to notice. The amount of smoke increased (albeit only slightly) when I throttled up to go faster, and decreased when I throttled down. This particular model of engine has a "warning light" that lights up when things are not optimal, and it was dark. The engine otherwise sounded and ran fine.

Before I go through the rigamarole of removing it and taking it back to the dealer for service, I thought I'd ask the collective here for your wisdom. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-25-2018

Re: Smoking Outboard

What color is the smoke?
post #3 of 13 Old 06-25-2018
Master Mariner

What color smoke? Smoke or steam; how cold was it? Is it at all possible someone added oil to the gas?
Why take a chance, if it's still under warranty? Take it to the dealer.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

post #4 of 13 Old 06-25-2018 Thread Starter

smoke was white. It was about 72 degrees out, and no, there was no oil in the gas.
post #5 of 13 Old 06-25-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstern View Post
smoke was white. It was about 72 degrees out, and no, there was no oil in the gas.
That's steam and should not be present. There's either water in the head or a leak near the manifold (hopefully, the latter). Take it back to the dealer right away.
post #6 of 13 Old 06-25-2018

Dock

Was water coming out of the tell tale?
post #7 of 13 Old 06-25-2018

When you take it back to the dealer,mention the STEAM. It's their problem.
post #8 of 13 Old 06-25-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisersling View Post
Was water coming out of the tell tale?
Yes, like a race horse.
post #9 of 13 Old 06-25-2018

Most likely steam, however see if you can smell it. Often motors are sold new with a light coating of oil on their internals to prevent corrosion while on the shelf. This light oil will burn off slowly as you use the engine, it will usually smell like burning wax or plastic.

Some youtube videos, nothing fancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 13 Old 06-25-2018

If its peeing then its not clogged with seaweed and should not be steaming. No chance it was just rainwater evaporating off the hot engine or that water from following seas getting up under the engine cowling?

I am presuming its a 20" shaft engine and the ventilation plate is set about 6" below the water line.

I just bought a new engine too however the dealer ran it in for 30 minutes in his test tank and verified everything with me.

At least a phone call to the dealer would be in order to see if they want you to check anything or just have you bring it straight back. You have a 5 year warranty on that one that you probably want to keep in force. Log the date, time and person you speak with along with their instructions especially if they tell you to not worry about it and just run it until it stops smoking.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in