Outboard on or off Dinghy While Towing? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 31 Old 07-03-2018

Re: Outboard on or off Dinghy While Towing?

I used to try to figure the odds of the motor getting wet because I left it on, versus the motor getting wet and sunk because I dropped it while trying to attach or detach.

Usually "door number one" won out. But this was coastal, put-in-every-night sailing, not long sea passages.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 31 Old 07-03-2018

On a charter around the BVIs we towed with the motor on. 10-15 knots, plenty of places to dock, charter base a couple hours away. On a charter down the windward isles we took the motor off but towed the dink. 20+ knots, nowhere to dock, charter base days away.

Of course in both cases, it wasn't our motor. In the BVIs the charter company advised us to leave the motor on. I suspect that folks who don't know what they are doing are likely to drop the motor in the water and/or on themselves.
post #13 of 31 Old 07-03-2018

I’m not an experienced sailor by any means, but when we were down in the BVI last week, just about every one towed their dinghies behind them with their outboards still attached. I got the impression that it was the standard practice down there.

post #14 of 31 Old 07-04-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolatom View Post
I used to try to figure the odds of the motor getting wet because I left it on, versus the motor getting wet and sunk because I dropped it while trying to attach or detach.
Lol, been there
post #15 of 31 Old 07-04-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiahblatz3 View Post
On a charter around the BVIs we towed with the motor on. 10-15 knots, plenty of places to dock, charter base a couple hours away. On a charter down the windward isles we took the motor off but towed the dink. 20+ knots, nowhere to dock, charter base days away.

Of course in both cases, it wasn't our motor. In the BVIs the charter company advised us to leave the motor on. I suspect that folks who don't know what they are doing are likely to drop the motor in the water and/or on themselves.
Interesting that BVI charter company recommended leaving on the dink. In this case, suspect it is more of a business consideration. Tradeoff between injury to clients, damage to the boat moving the outboard on and off everyday, potential to drop it in the drink, versus sailing considerations.
post #16 of 31 Old 07-04-2018
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

Some related issues.

RIBS are much less prone to flipping than soft bottom dinks.

DO you have a recovery plan IF the dink plus engine flips when you are anywhere that is not pretty sheltered. Speed will be down to a crawl. It will be a brave and foolish sailor who goes in to try and right it.

If you are expecting the insurance to payout read the small print. Most won't.
post #17 of 31 Old 07-04-2018

When I used an Avon roll-up, the 29 lb OB was on the stern pulpit. For longer (>25 mi) legs, the dink was on the foredeck, deflated.

With my current Avon RIB, the dink and 100 lb motor are towed, but this package weighs about 300 lbs total. For the 10 years Iíve towed this dink, I have never had a problemónot even shipping any significant amount of water. Of course, this is all coastal sailing with no overnight passages.
post #18 of 31 Old 07-05-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallard View Post
When I used an Avon roll-up, the 29 lb OB was on the stern pulpit. For longer (>25 mi) legs, the dink was on the foredeck, deflated.

With my current Avon RIB, the dink and 100 lb motor are towed, but this package weighs about 300 lbs total. For the 10 years Iíve towed this dink, I have never had a problemónot even shipping any significant amount of water. Of course, this is all coastal sailing with no overnight passages.
Which Avon Rib do you have. In Avon's current rib lineup the 360 is the smallest, weighs in at 441lbs without the motor and is spec's for a 40hp min which adds an additional 211lbs so 653lbs.

https://www.avonmarine.com/rental_se...rt-360-delux/#

That adds up as a 40 hp Yamaha is around $6,300 and the Avon 360 around $16,000 so as a package were talking around $23,000. That's quite a nice dink and yes a bit heavy to handle without davits and winches.
post #19 of 31 Old 07-05-2018
Learning the HARD way...

If you leave the outboard bolted to the transom of an inflatable dink, you are raising the center of gravity of an air floor, slat floor or even a panel floor dink by doing so.

While the dink has inherent stability from its shape (form stability) its point of maximum stability, with an outboard motor attached, is inverted.

This would be less so with a RIB with a rigid (aluminum or fiberglass) hull, but enough of a concern that I would not do it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by eherlihy; 07-05-2018 at 03:41 PM.
post #20 of 31 Old 07-05-2018

use this:

Garhauer Marine
LD6-1M W/34 - Stainless Steel Blocks Lifting Davit
LD6-1M W/34 - Stainless Steel Blocks
length: width:
weight: shackle:
Tubing diameter is 1-3/4", height is 64" and arm length is 34". Comes with 5/16" X 60' line and single handed controls. Lifting capacity is 100 lbs. Includes upper support ring, and lower ball mount.

Good for most OBs up to 15hp. retail is $121. Demounts and stows easily. Takes 5 minutes to raise of lower a motor onto a dink.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in