Outboard on or off Dinghy While Towing? - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 31 Old 07-05-2018

Re: Outboard on or off Dinghy While Towing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephroid View Post
I’m not an experienced sailor by any means, but when we were down in the BVI last week, just about every one towed their dinghies behind them with their outboards still attached. I got the impression that it was the standard practice down there.
With so many charters in those waters, I would say that just about everyone you saw does not have a lot of skin in the game and are following the instructions from the charter companies, who are no more than a few hours away with a new motor or repair services.

The story changes if the motor belongs to you and you are not close to a rescue service.
SeaStar58 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 Old 07-05-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwing View Post
With so many charters in those waters, I would say that just about everyone you saw does not have a lot of skin in the game and are following the instructions from the charter companies, who are no more than a few hours away with a new motor or repair services.

The story changes if the motor belongs to you and you are not close to a rescue service.

A Honda 2.3 hp is $1,000 and some with the Avons and other high end ribs are looking at a $6,000 to $8,000 outboard which if someone personally owns it most are going to think twice before taking a chance with it. Do you feel Lucky today?

If $1,000 to $8,000 is the same to someone as stopping for a pizza then go ahead its of little consequence however like you that's too much skin in the game for me.

I live near the central coastguard dispatch center and that's still not close enough for me. Rescue can never be close enough.
post #23 of 31 Old 07-05-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaStar58 View Post
A Honda 2.3 hp is $1,000 and some with the Avons and other high end ribs are looking at a $6,000 to $8,000 outboard which if someone personally owns it most are going to think twice before taking a chance with it. Do you feel Lucky today?

If $1,000 to $8,000 is the same to someone as stopping for a pizza then go ahead its of little consequence however like you that's too much skin in the game for me.

I live near the central coastguard dispatch center and that's still not close enough for me. Rescue can never be close enough.
Good point. I'll amend my previous post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwing View Post

The story changes if the dinghy and motor belong to you, or you are not close to a rescue service.

post #24 of 31 Old 07-06-2018

Ok here's a secondary question. If you do decided to tow the dinghy with a motor on (because, let say, you want to get some pictures of the boat under sail later), should your tether be long or short? Our outboard is at the upper range of the RIB's capacity and it tends to ride with the bow in the air if you leave the engine on and we've only done it twice—and both times I was extremely nervous and spent a lot of time screwing with the tow length. Around the PNW you tend to see power boats towing tenders with extremely long tethers but I don't like the way our RIB rides when I've tried that.

As a side note, we discovered an important piece of data on our June trip. Our RIB becomes airborne in 39 knots (no motor, thank goodness) :-0 I was watching the scenery go by off the stern as we motored into 30 knot winds, and the helmsman was calling out the winds speed of the gusts. She yelled 39 and I watched the dinghy take off like a kite, hover in the air for a few seconds and then plummet back down (upside down of course). Gave us a chance to practice our MOB drills to recover the fuel tank and dinghy seat. We should of known better, but I believe "It was only a few miles..." now qualifies as one of our famous last words.

Gaudeamus igitur iuvenes dum sumus...
before it's too late

Youtube:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #25 of 31 Old 07-07-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBlaze View Post
Ok here's a secondary question. If you do decided to tow the dinghy with a motor on (because, let say, you want to get some pictures of the boat under sail later), should your tether be long or short? Our outboard is at the upper range of the RIB's capacity and it tends to ride with the bow in the air if you leave the engine on and we've only done it twice—and both times I was extremely nervous and spent a lot of time screwing with the tow length. Around the PNW you tend to see power boats towing tenders with extremely long tethers but I don't like the way our RIB rides when I've tried that.

As a side note, we discovered an important piece of data on our June trip. Our RIB becomes airborne in 39 knots (no motor, thank goodness) :-0 I was watching the scenery go by off the stern as we motored into 30 knot winds, and the helmsman was calling out the winds speed of the gusts. She yelled 39 and I watched the dinghy take off like a kite, hover in the air for a few seconds and then plummet back down (upside down of course). Gave us a chance to practice our MOB drills to recover the fuel tank and dinghy seat. We should of known better, but I believe "It was only a few miles..." now qualifies as one of our famous last words.
Type of dinghy does make a difference. A light one (under 200/300 lbs) can go airborne way to easily however some will say even a 2,000 to 4,000lb RIB qualifies as light too. Those famous last words and the answer to the unspoken question "What could go wrong?" ;>

Murphy's Law is always looming there at the ready.
post #26 of 31 Old 07-07-2018

Good seamanship would be to not tow except in protected waters and benign conditions. This means you will need a dink you can get aboard... deflate or stow on the fore deck, swim platform, davits and so forth. As many prefer ribs and don't have the option to not tow prudence dictates that you remove the motor and that can be done with a halyard or a designated lifting crane... fixed or demountable. The tow should be on a bridle of some sort with a safety line as well. The towed dink can add a lot of drag and slow the boat down. The bottom should be clean and the tow length set so the dink is not being pulled up on the back size of a wave. Adjust the tow length to the sea state.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #27 of 31 Old 07-07-2018
bell ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman10 View Post
Is your outboard mounted on the dinghy while towing?

Why or why not?
Well my dinghy is on the davits, with the outboard on it.

But for towing the outboard needs to be off. Hell it's even in the owners manual for mine.
chef2sail likes this.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #28 of 31 Old 07-07-2018

As for lifting the outboard safely off the dinghy some will just use the main halyard tied off on the boom to lift it and swing it onboard using the sheets or a spare line to limit how far the boom swings same as you may put a bosuns chair on the boom to bring a handicapped person on board when you don't have a davit on the boat.
post #29 of 31 Old 07-07-2018

A charter boat in a place like the VIs is used in a fundamentaly different way than a cruising boat. A cruising boat is used for traveling on its own feet to its destination, a charter boat is already at its destination and the sailors travel to the boat on an airplane.

Charter boats aren't making 100 mile days or very likely even 50 mile days. Dinghy tow lines arent chaffing through the night, charter boats arent often caught on the open sea by squalls, charter boats are not navigating locks, bridges and narrow channels.

Having a dinghy towed 15 or 20 miles by a charter boat has more in common with leaving a dinghy tied to a dock at the cottage then traveling any kind of distance on a cruising boat.
SanderO likes this.
post #30 of 31 Old 07-09-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaStar58 View Post
Which Avon Rib do you have. In Avon's current rib lineup the 360 is the smallest, weighs in at 441lbs without the motor and is spec's for a 40hp min which adds an additional 211lbs so 653lbs.

https://www.avonmarine.com/rental_se...rt-360-delux/#

That adds up as a 40 hp Yamaha is around $6,300 and the Avon 360 around $16,000 so as a package were talking around $23,000. That's quite a nice dink and yes a bit heavy to handle without davits and winches.
I have an AVON Rover RIB 315 that was purchased in 2008. The bare RIB weighs 154#, the Honda 9.9 weighs about 100#, a full gas tank weights about 30#, and the stowed anchors and gear weigh about 20#, so the total weight is about 300#. It isn't fancy and has a single thwart seat and bow locker--no console with steering wheel!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in