Outboard on or off Dinghy While Towing? - SailNet Community
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 07-01-2018 Thread Starter

Outboard on or off Dinghy While Towing?

Is your outboard mounted on the dinghy while towing?

Why or why not?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 07-01-2018

Re: Outboard on or off Dinghy While Towing?

Never. Dinghies can flip in wind and waves.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2
The Following User Says Thank You to JimsCAL For This Useful Post:
jaredrada (07-11-2018)
post #3 of 31 Old 07-01-2018
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman10 View Post
Is your outboard mounted on the dinghy while towing?

Why or why not?

Short trips in sheltered waters I leave mine on my RIB. EG Marin round to Anse d'Arlet in Martinique.

Anything in the open ocean or when it is forecast to be 20 knots + the motor comes off and the dink is lashed upside down on the foredeck. This has worked for me for many years cruising.

Very few long term cruisers tow their dinks engine on in rough conditions.

post #4 of 31 Old 07-01-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
Short trips in sheltered waters I leave mine on my RIB. EG Marin round to Anse d'Arlet in Martinique.

Anything in the open ocean or when it is forecast to be 20 knots + the motor comes off and the dink is lashed upside down on the foredeck. This has worked for me for many years cruising.

Very few long term cruisers tow their dinks engine on in rough conditions.
Thanks TQA,

Like you, I have always towed my dingy w/o the outboard, except for very short runs.

It has been a long time since I have sailed in the Caribbean, but my sailing mates who have done so recently tell me that it is common practice down in your waters to leave her on while towing--so I'm very interested to hear your different perspective.

My sailing now is primarily in the Chesapeake and in the summer you have to expect that there's a squall hiding behind every cloud, a good reason not to have to f with getting the outboard off the dingy in a hurry.
post #5 of 31 Old 07-01-2018
Master Mariner

We never, ever tow our dinghy outside a bay or harbor, period. It is the most valuable bit of ancillary equipment on our boat. It is our car and our only lifeline to shore.
zeehag likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #6 of 31 Old 07-01-2018

Dinghy's swamp or turn turtle too often when towing so best to store the outboard on board when towing. Many to their rue also find their dinghy swamped even when at anchor due to a sudden downpour and end up having to have the outboard purged of salt water.

It happens too often and even unsinkable boats still end up with submerged outboards.

post #7 of 31 Old 07-01-2018

We were just on a short trip from Edgartown to Cuttyhunk, not even a full day's trip, so we towed the inflatable dinghy behind and left the engine on it. Not a problem until we got to Quick's Hole doing about six knots and a series of 5' standing waves caused by the current vs wind flipped the dinghy in two shakes of a lamb's tail. Five or six waves later we were able to flip it back. When we got to Cuttyhunk we got the engine running after about three pulls. Since then we take the engine off off every time we tow the dinghy between ports. If you don't learn something every day, why wake up?
post #8 of 31 Old 07-02-2018

Only in the harbor in completely flat water from the mooring to the fuel dock and back. We have a Garhauer lifting crane and it take a few minutes to get the motor up or drop it down onto the dink.

Towing with a motor is a very very bad practice.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #9 of 31 Old 07-02-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaStar58 View Post
Dinghy's swamp or turn turtle too often when towing so best to store the outboard on board when towing. Many to their rue also find their dinghy swamped even when at anchor due to a sudden downpour and end up having to have the outboard purged of salt water.

It happens too often and even unsinkable boats still end up with submerged outboards.
Saw this happen at anchor near Staniel Cay in the Bahamas. Boat at anchor behind us had their dingy with the outboard flip when a squall came through.

Arcb likes this.

Mike
Currently: Spring Outfitting

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 31 Old 07-02-2018
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....

Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

never tow anything you cannot afford to lose. is like betting. youbetting on sh** not happening and gods of sea are betting you lose the dink. best of luck.

formosa 41, cruising tropics

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in