Important Things (You Know Now), To Look For When Buying A Used Sailboat? - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 35 Old 07-08-2018

Re: Important Things (You Know Now), To Look For When Buying A Used Sailboat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dispatch View Post
Well, my 'Max' is that much but I'd rather spend a lot less, giving me leeway for when I need to buy stuff it will most likely need, no matter how good its condition.
There are a number of new boats in that price range that will be in perfect condition some of which are from top notch manufacturer right here in Florida with a few here in the vacinity of Tampa Bay but they will be under 30 feet so the question is: What size and class of boat are you looking for that costs less than $70,000?

You may be trying to find a boat that is going to cost $140,000 in turnkey condition so one of those being liquidated for $70,000 or less is usually going to require a lot of work and money to get back into shape. People rarely find the Holy Grail and may spend a lifetime searching and never finding while other just stumble upon it without really trying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 35 Old 07-09-2018

I'm glad I got a survey!! It saved me in the long run. The boat was 15 years old, which meant new sails and rigging since everything was original. The boat had low engine hours and had barely been broken in according to the manuals.

My #1 thing though is finding someone who can work on boats that's reliable and other people recommend. I've had a really hard time finding someone. Or go to some seminars if you want to do your own work & have never owned a boat. Youtube is my BFF
post #23 of 35 Old 07-09-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaStar58 View Post
There are a number of new boats in that price range that will be in perfect condition some of which are from top notch manufacturer right here in Florida with a few here in the vacinity of Tampa Bay but they will be under 30 feet so the question is: What size and class of boat are you looking for that costs less than $70,000?

You may be trying to find a boat that is going to cost $140,000 in turnkey condition so one of those being liquidated for $70,000 or less is usually going to require a lot of work and money to get back into shape. People rarely find the Holy Grail and may spend a lifetime searching and never finding while other just stumble upon it without really trying.
Don't say that!

I'm trying for something close to 40' but I'm just not finding anything I like 'so far'.

Like I said earlier, I should start looking at boats in New England and Canada, Florida boats are just not cutting it(too beat up and piss-poorly maintained and they want top monies for them).

post #24 of 35 Old 07-09-2018

Quote:
From experience of what you found out 'after' you bought yours, what are some things to look for that you normally would not be aware of, when shopping for a used sailboat?
With all due respect this question shows someone who is clueless about boats and what they want and what they need.

What any member on SN wants, needs, and would or have looked for in a new to them boat is completely irrelevant to YOU/

Of course you don't know what you don't know. Everyone faces this problem. But each person is in a different place in life.

It's self evident that an older boat, even well maintained is going to have more expense in terms of service, maintenance and needed refits/upgrades... especially if it has been normally used. Unlikely to find a used boat all tricked out to what you want and need that is in bristol condition and rarely used

You definitely need to figure out your financial situation to drive your choices, purchase and refits/upgrades. No one can give you much advice on this. Some are conservative and risk aversion... others the reverse.

Look at the reputation and various owner's comments about the boat you are interested. Take everything with a grain of salt.

And then you need skills to tackle the work on your boat... or pay for someone else to do it and hopefully understand what they are doing and charging and so on.

If you see a boat that you can afford going it, get a surveyor and have any closing subject to surveyor's findings. Tell the surveyor what sort of sailing you intend to do.

Go back and do your homework.
travlin-easy likes this.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #25 of 35 Old 07-09-2018

Quote:
Don't say that!

I'm trying for something close to 40' but I'm just not finding anything I like 'so far'.

Like I said earlier, I should start looking at boats in New England and Canada, Florida boats are just not cutting it(too beat up and piss-poorly maintained and they want top monies for them).
And would that be for a weekend getaway that rarely leaves the dock, coastal cruising, full time living aboard, circumnavigating the worlds oceans or something else? Will family members be involved too? Children?
post #26 of 35 Old 07-09-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
With all due respect this question shows someone who is clueless about boats and what they want and what they need.

What any member on SN wants, needs, and would or have looked for in a new to them boat is completely irrelevant to YOU/

I think the OP asked a good question, and I think the answers given here in this thread have been quite helpful and on point. This is his doing his "homework". As you have pointed out, no one knows everything, and sites like this provide a forum for the exchange of knowledge and experience. The OP wasn't asking "tell me what I should be looking for in a boat"; he was asking "tell me what you missed when you were picking your boat". Not everyone's experience will be germane to his own boat search, but it may be helpful to someone else's. At the very least, they are all good reading.

Last edited by mstern; 07-09-2018 at 09:59 AM.
post #27 of 35 Old 07-09-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstern View Post
I think the OP asked a good question, and I think the answers given here in this thread have been quite helpful and on point. This is his doing his "homework". As you have pointed out, no one knows everything, and sites like this provide a forum for the exchange of knowledge and experience. The OP wasn't asking "tell me what I should be looking for in a boat"; he was asking "tell me what you missed when you were picking your boat". Not everyone's experience will be germane to his own boat search, but it may be helpful to someone else's. At the very least, they are all good reading.
I bought a new ready to sail boat in '85 and have added and modified and so forth probably to the tune of half what I paid new. Every decision will involve compromises. I would prefer a stand up aft cabin so making the bed is easy peasy and one person is not disturbed when the other needs to get up. But that would mean a larger boat for some minor inconvenience. All things being equal I would have chose the stand up aft cabin. But they are not equal.

This is I suppose kinda homework.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #28 of 35 Old 07-09-2018
Doesn't sail enough

I assume Dispatch is looking for "gotcha" items, the kind of things that surveyors might miss or be unable to evaluate, not, "I wish I had standing headroom in the aft cabin" stuff that seemed livable at purchase time.

I'll contribute mine: my first boat had chainplates and cleats buried in the deck (wood boat!). I was lucky the chainplates were held up to my gentle use, and I did have a cleat pull out at the dock due to bad sealing and rot (hello, your cored deck can rot too...).

Current boat has all chainplates nice, shiny and exposed below, bolted to the bulkheads. Bottoms of all deck fittings are easily accessible, at worst have to climb inside a lazarette or open the medicine cabinet.

If you can't inspect it, better assume it needs replacement!

'78 Dolphin 31
post #29 of 35 Old 07-09-2018

one thing I would do before you actually go look at a particular boat is google search for a owners forum group. Chances are if they made more than five of something, boat , car, hot tub , even toaster ovens , there's a web-group dedicated to it! Once there search the site for known problems and the fixes for them . You'll be better armed knowledge wise when you see the boat in person . Take pictures of everything on the boat your looking at , even in all the nooks and crannies. You'll probably only spend an hour physically on a boat but you can review the pics at your leisure possibly picking up a issue .
Sal Paradise likes this.
post #30 of 35 Old 07-09-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post

Of course you don't know what you don't know. Everyone faces this problem. But each person is in a different place in life.

It's self evident that an older boat, even well maintained is going to have more expense in terms of service, maintenance and needed refits/upgrades... especially if it has been normally used. Unlikely to find a used boat all tricked out to what you want and need that is in bristol condition and rarely used

You definitely need to figure out your financial situation to drive your choices, purchase and refits/upgrades. No one can give you much advice on this. Some are conservative and risk aversion... others the reverse.

Look at the reputation and various owner's comments about the boat you are interested. Take everything with a grain of salt.

And then you need skills to tackle the work on your boat... or pay for someone else to do it and hopefully understand what they are doing and charging and so on.

If you see a boat that you can afford going it, get a surveyor and have any closing subject to surveyor's findings. Tell the surveyor what sort of sailing you intend to do.

With no respect, you know where you can stick your advice right?

You wouldn't make a pimple on my a--!

It so figures, there's always some tight a-- Troll like you on every forum without fail that just loves to talk down to people and start trouble.

Here's a suggestion, don't like the subject? don't reply!

Just because you have a stick up your a-- and decide you don't like a subject at hand doesn't make the person asking incompetent for doing so, nor does it give you the right to belittle anyone when you don't know what the hell you are talking about, the problem here is YOU and your sanctimonious, self-righteous ego.

Its a simple inquiry question to what others have already gone through but obviously, you don't have the intelligence to understand that.

I had no idea that this forum was yours and yours alone, in that no one is allowed to ask something (first to be approved by you), that might anger a smug bastard like yourself and then you attack them for doing so.

Yuck, yuck.

What a tool you must be in person.

Get over yourself...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in