Nervous Annapolis to Stuart Florida in new boat - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 46 Old 07-09-2018
Catalina 400 MKII

Re: Nervous Annapolis to Stuart Florida in new boat

It's all about risk management.

The boat: Make sure you have plenty of time to shake it down. Get to know the boat and fix the things you need to.
The weather: It's ALL about the weather. Pick a solid window. Go in stages and wait if you have to. Have exit plans ready. Schedules can be deadly.
The time of year. Yes, it is hurricane season. If you can wait for a few months, that would be better. What works for you? (note, I'm a west coast sailor, so I don't have the same background as you easter guys. We do have our hurricane season here, though, and don't go to Mexico until October)

I do have to agree that this sounds like a wonderful trip, and is one of the reasons why you bought such a nice boat. It would be a shame to miss it. My personal choice would be to be very conservative about the weather, and go for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 46 Old 07-09-2018
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

My suggestion that he might consider a delivery captain was based on the time it will take to motor from Annapolis to South Florida.

1200 miles at 60 miles a day = 20 days. This does not allow for breakdowns and bad weather.

The OP might not be in a position to devote 20 days to the delivery.
chef2sail likes this.
post #23 of 46 Old 07-09-2018

I once had serious thoughts about hiring a delivery captain to take my boat to Marathon from Perryville, Maryland. I checked out three and the price was about the same - $3,500. They figured on two weeks because there would be a crew of two of three guys, so the boat would be in motion 24/7, weather dependent.

I opted to make the trip single handed, left home October 1st, damned near froze to death that year, caught up with Hurricane Sandy while in Myrtle Beach and ended up playing a 5 day Hurricane Party, which was neat. I was in Osprey Marina and while the wind at the tops of the trees was woofing at 60 plus MPH, down in the hole where the marina is situated, you couldn't find enough wind to fly a kite. The tide rose about 3 feet, than when things settled down, I resumed my trip south. It took me two months because of weather and breakdowns.

Despite the fact that I'm a really old fart and my health is shot to Hell, I would do this again in a heartbeat, and if even remotely possible, I'll be leaving Perryville on October 1st. I'm too damned old to tolerate winter in Maryland, anymore!

The trip down the ditch is a piece of cake, even single handed. I kept a urinal in the cockpit for those times when nature yelled at me, but I was unable, for safety reasons, to go below and use the head. Had a bucket with a toilet seat on it for the same reason - when ya gotta go - ya gotta go, especially when you're an old fart.

The big difference this time is I would motor/sail down the ditch to Morehead City, then if the weather permitted, head offshore about 10 miles and continue south, taking advantage of the Gulf Stream's back eddy currents that flow from north to south in the inshore waters. Then, I would get back into the ditch at Fernandina Beach, which is an easy-peasy inlet, and continue south to Stuart.

Good luck,

Gary
eherlihy and MarkofSeaLife like this.

post #24 of 46 Old 07-09-2018

Send a message via AIM to kptmorgan04

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post

After extensive research and careful planning, however, it became clear that the cost of that effort, to say nothing of the time involved, would equal or potentially exceed the cost of shipping. Accordingly, we contracted with A&B Marine, working out of Bert Jabin's yard on Back Creek, to transport the boat to Florida and we were very glad we did so. The total cost was about $3,500 including haul and relaunch and preping the boat for transit. The trip itself took only two days from Annapolis to Bradenton, Florida. It was worth it!

FWIW...
That is very interesting and great to know.
post #25 of 46 Old 07-09-2018
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

"I've sailed outside and it's easy. "
And here I was, falling for the Fake News that the USCG had to perform rescues out there, year in, year out, because somehow "easy" wasn't good enough.

What could possibly go wrong on 46 feet of mass-market old production boat....
Zut! Alors! We are out of champagne!
chef2sail likes this.
post #26 of 46 Old 07-09-2018

If you have the time, you should do this trip yourself. You'll learn the boat inside and out. In part, by fixing it. All new-to-you boats need fixing. Be sure to do ample research on the ICW, as others have suggested.

However, I would never attempt this in August. Maybe it's just me, but I see no good plan B, if you end up in the wrong place. Put her up and make the trip in late October. Or ship her via truck, if you must have her now.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #27 of 46 Old 07-09-2018

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post

Today off NC tropical storm blowing wave propagation over 15 ft for 800 miles. Not a good time to try you manhood or cavalier attitude.
Yes. Everyone in the world has known about that TC/T's for days.
Morons need not survive! People with a brain will

Tropicaltidbits.com

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #28 of 46 Old 07-10-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post

Today off NC tropical storm blowing wave propagation over 15 ft for 800 miles. Not a good time to try you manhood or cavalier attitude.

Why would you go out in that?
post #29 of 46 Old 07-11-2018

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Exactly

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #30 of 46 Old 07-12-2018

I have a related story to tell.

A few summers ago my brother in law, Kelly, had saved up some money, quit his job and bought a sailboat in Maryland with intentions of sailing to the carribean.

Kelly is a very adventuresome, can do, fun kinda guy. As a teenager he floated the Mississippi River from Wisconsin to the Gulf of Mexico with his father among many adventures. However his sailing experience was limited and several decades ago.

He bought a boat unseen from Boat Angel advertised as having a bad engine. This didn't deter him because he is a shade tree mechanic and he planned to sail not motor... When he arrived the motor was a rusted hulk and the sails were in poor condition (poor condition to him is pretty scary to me). He buys some used sails and gets the boat working to his satisfaction (no motor, electricity,lights or radio, only the basics like rope, anchor and maps).

Kelly has a great personality and finds an inexperienced guy to join him as crew. They buy some food, water and beer and head out for the carribean.

I don't know all the details but they had some great times. He had great difficulty sailing south in the Atlantic so they went back to the intercoastal. a few months later he was running out of money in the area of Charleston SC.

He sold his sailboat and came home. He got hired back at his old job and is saving up his money until he can draw social security in a few years. He says if he can get his monthly check he cam make it. He does plan to have a working motor next time.

Kelly didn't make it but he had a great time.

If you have time go for it!

Thx-Ace

Spend Less & Do More!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in