Nervous Annapolis to Stuart Florida in new boat - Page 5 - SailNet Community
 45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 46 Old 07-14-2018

Re: Nervous Annapolis to Stuart Florida in new boat

--------------
If the mast is longer than 53' from end to end, it can be cut and sleeved on re-assembly in order to make the length limits. That's also normal.

But I'd suspect a Bene46 can be shipped down I95. Any good shipper should be able to tell you what's involved, if the give them the dimensions, including the mast.
.[/QUOTE]

You could also use a chainsaw to cut the boat down into u-haulable pieces.

Nuts....
travlin-easy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 46 Old 07-14-2018

Anyone else noticed that the OP hasn't posted since starting this thread? Wonder what he is going to do.
Sal Paradise and travlin-easy like this.

Nor'sea 27
Don't re-accommodate me, Bro
And the trees are all keep equal by hatchet, axe and saw...RUSH
I invented a new word today, plagiarism.
post #43 of 46 Old 07-14-2018
One of None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper Jer View Post
Anyone else noticed that the OP hasn't posted since starting this thread? Wonder what he is going to do.
I always notice and I always check to see if an OP made any more than one post.

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My last project!

post #44 of 46 Old 07-15-2018
Captain Obvious

Silly!! He is obviously too far out to sea to get on the internet. Asleep at the wheel between Roanake and the Canary Islands. ....

Sal Paradise - Armchair Circumnavigator

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger
post #45 of 46 Old 07-15-2018
One of None

That's the thing with Forums like this. In the desk top mode, this thread shows up as five pages! and only one post from the OP. Just like that one about docking with arthritis, zero input from the OP.

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.

My last project!
post #46 of 46 Old 07-15-2018

Lots of good advice there. The 2 best suggestions are to hire a Captain or to ship it south. I've made the trip several times, usually going north. Talk to several Captains til you find one you are comfortable with... don't settle for the first guy wandering the docks or even the least expensive. Same with transporters... find one you are comfortable with.
All the bridges on the ICW between Norfolk and Beaufort, NC are 65', except Hobucken(?) that's 64'6", or so.
There really aren't that many places to tuck in between Beaufort and Stuart, check your draft and channel depths. The further south you go the narrower the space between the land and the Gulf Stream. Weather forecasts on board are not a luxury, they rank close to a must. That squeeze between the land and the GS gets important no matter what time of year. A storm squeezes you against the land; a cold front puts you into the GS. And in the fall/winter you can get fog.

I don't want to discourage you either way. It can be and is done by lots of people every year. Just things to be aware of.

Have fun and good luck
Ted

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in