SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Nervous Annapolis to Stuart Florida in new boat (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/324150-nervous-annapolis-stuart-florida-new-boat.html)

Nick Pulice 07-05-2018 11:21 PM

Nervous Annapolis to Stuart Florida in new boat

So not really sure what questions I may have, butís hereís my plan. Purchasing a new to me used 46 ft Beneteau in Annapolis MD and sailing/motoring down the Eastern seaboard to its new home in Stuart Florida. This will take place in early to mid August. Anyone have any recommendations on routes heading South or can educate me at all on anything related to this passage. My sailing experience is pretty limited, only owning a 26ft sailboat for the last 3 years, but Iíve been boating for about 25 yrs. Iíve never done an offshore passage. But have bareboat chartered a 37 footer in the BVI. My father, who is a power boater but not a sailer, will be accompanying me. Iím currently attempting to find at least one other to crew with us. My dad and I are both physically fit, and handy with most things mechanical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chef2sail 07-05-2018 11:27 PM

Re: Nervous Annapolis to Stuart Florida in new boat

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Pulice (Post 2051536502)
So not really sure what questions I may have, but’s here’s my plan. Purchasing a new to me used 46 ft Beneteau in Annapolis MD and sailing/motoring down the Eastern seaboard to its new home in Stuart Florida. This will take place in early to mid August. Anyone have any recommendations on routes heading South or can educate me at all on anything related to this passage. My sailing experience is pretty limited, only owning a 26ft sailboat for the last 3 years, but I’ve been boating for about 25 yrs. I’ve never done an offshore passage. But have bareboat chartered a 37 footer in the BVI. My father, who is a power boater but not a sailer, will be accompanying me. I’m currently attempting to find at least one other to crew with us. My dad and I are both physically fit, and handy with most things mechanical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice boat ..Congrats

Get a delivery Captain as you need experience.
Also do you realize you are doing this in the middle of hurricane season.

Personally I would keep the boat in AAnnapolis and shake it down and get some experience on her , test out all the systems and hold off till October.

contrarian 07-06-2018 12:54 AM

Did a delivery trip similar to this in 2012 but in November. Met up with Sandy coming up the coast. So it's hard to predict what is best when it's Hurricane Season. No matter what time of year you make the trip it will be arduous. I would suggest that you take the ICW from Norfolk and then go outside at Moorehead City and Sail/ Motorsail to Charleston to refuel and take a break.Then outside again to Fernandina Beach where you can stay in the ICW or head offshore depending on the weather as long as you stay close in to avoid the Gulf Stream.
This is not a trip for a novice even in the ditch. Make sure that you have all the necessary navigation tools and know how to use them. Also a good idea to stay current on the Notices to Mariners. The aids to navigation are not always where they show up on the charts if there has been serious weather. A good possibility this time of year.
Chefs recommendation of a delivery captain warrants consideration. You might also consider posting in the crew wanted section of this forum as well to see if you can find members who would accompany you for segments of the trip. You might luck out and find folks that are really helpful, there are some folks on here that know their stuff but then again you might wind up with Knuckleheads. (no disrespect to the knuckleheads... you can't help yourselves it's just in your jeans)

svHyLyte 07-06-2018 08:34 AM

One of the best resources for that transit can be found in the (click on) Blog of the yacht Fleetwind. In particular, the 2017 ICW Cruising Guide offered on the site.

Note, however, that the merit of such a transit is questionable unless you're doing it for the sake of entertainment (although that, in mid-hurricane season may not be wise either). Some years ago we purchased our current yacht in Annapolis with the intention of bringing her south on her own bottom. After extensive research and careful planning, however, it became clear that the cost of that effort, to say nothing of the time involved, would equal or potentially exceed the cost of shipping. Accordingly, we contracted with A&B Marine, working out of Bert Jabin's yard on Back Creek, to transport the boat to Florida and we were very glad we did so. The total cost was about $3,500 including haul and relaunch and preping the boat for transit. The trip itself took only two days from Annapolis to Bradenton, Florida. It was worth it!

FWIW...

Barquito 07-06-2018 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svHyLyte (Post 2051536546)
One of the best resources for that transit can be found in the (click on) Blog of the yacht Fleetwind. In particular, the 2017 ICW Cruising Guide offered on the site.

Note, however, that the merit of such a transit is questionable unless you're doing it for the sake of entertainment (although that, in mid-hurricane season may not be wise either). Some years ago we purchased our current yacht in Annapolis with the intention of bringing her south on her own bottom. After extensive research and careful planning, however, it became clear that the cost of that effort, to say nothing of the time involved, would equal or potentially exceed the cost of shipping. Accordingly, we contracted with A&B Marine, working out of Bert Jabin's yard on Back Creek, to transport the boat to Florida and we were very glad we did so. The total cost was about $3,500 including haul and relaunch and preping the boat for transit. The trip itself took only two days from Annapolis to Bradenton, Florida. It was worth it!

FWIW...

That is probably a good option to consider given the inexperience of the crew. However, given an experienced captain and crew with unlimited time, delivering the boat offshore should be much less expensive. Regardless, if you go in hurricane season, work out a bunch of places you can have the boat pulled, or hide if things get nasty.

TQA 07-06-2018 10:40 AM

No brainer. Buy some towboat insurance and motor down the ICW. If you don't want to give up the time to do it pay a delivery captain.

But as others have said if it can be trucked that is the way to go but at 46 ft may be a bridge to fat to high etc. . Several companies offer this service.

Going offshore in August even with an experienced delivery crew might be interesting.

deniseO30 07-06-2018 11:12 AM

My opinion of a no-brainer is to buy a boat in Florida, that alone probably just saved you a between 5 and 10K

logic dictates that the only place there are more sailboats for sale then Maryland Annapolis Area would be in Florida, or possibly Oriental

Pendragon35 07-06-2018 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chef2sail (Post 2051536504)
Nice boat ..Congrats

Get a delivery Captain as you need experience.
Also do you realize you are doing this in the middle of hurricane season.

Personally I would keep the boat in AAnnapolis and shake it down and get some experience on her , test out all the systems and hold off till October.

Excellent advice.

jephotog 07-06-2018 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svHyLyte (Post 2051536546)
Accordingly, we contracted with A&B Marine, working out of Bert Jabin's yard on Back Creek, to transport the boat to Florida and we were very glad we did so. The total cost was about $3,500 including haul and relaunch and preping the boat for transit. The trip itself took only two days from Annapolis to Bradenton, Florida. It was worth it!

FWIW...

How long ago did you have your boat delivered? That seems really cheap, probably a lot cheaper than a professional delivery Captain would charge for a few week delivery. I know it would depend on conditions but on average how long would this type of delivery take?

Skipper Jer 07-06-2018 06:09 PM

Don't listen to these nay sayers. If anything is going to happen, its going to happen out there. Kick the tires, light the fire and get that baby going. I just don't think its wise to be going south in hurricane season and your insurance agent just might have a thing or two to say about it. As far as ducking in if (maybe when) a hurricane comes up the coast pretty sure the first words out of the marinas mouth will be "We are busy pulling our contracted customers out." Also the bugs will love you, you are fresh meat. Do the trip later in the year, maybe start mid October.