Heatwaves and Drawbridges, Etc - SailNet Community
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 07-10-2018 Thread Starter

Heatwaves and Drawbridges, Etc

With the record temperatures this year there may be some delays getting draw bridges opened.
https://www.popsci.com/heat-wave-bridge-infrastructure

Further down in the article is a video showing how heat is also impacting trains and it was quite startling to see how fast things go awry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 07-10-2018

Re: Heatwaves and Drawbridges, Etc

Very timely article. We are tackling 18 low bridges, 16 locks and a 149 ft vertical drop over the next couple of days. We will be motoring mast down, but I will be curious to chat with the bridge and lock operators to see how everything has been working with the heat.
post #3 of 28 Old 07-11-2018
1968 Columbia 50

Last week the Chicago Fire Department was using their fire boats to hose down draw bridges along the river because the metal had expanded from the heat so much that the bridges were essentially locked in the down position and could not be raised.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
S/V Siren 1968 Columbia 50

post #4 of 28 Old 07-11-2018

What am I missing? This is far from Chicago hottest or longest heat wave and that bridge has been around for a century.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #5 of 28 Old 07-11-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
What am I missing? This is far from Chicago hottest or longest heat wave and that bridge has been around for a century.
Yes but it was also warmer before the heat wave so things are getting to the critical point faster.

My daughter was commenting the other day about a call she got from a friend in Pennsylvania who got stuck in stop and go traffic because the big trucks around them started sinking into the hot asphalt, got stuck and then had to be jacked up so planks could be put under their wheels to get them rolling again.
post #6 of 28 Old 07-11-2018

Sounds like typical Penn road quality. Think of the heat in the desert Southwest and ask why trucks need to sink into the pavement in the northeast.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #7 of 28 Old 07-11-2018

My father drove a big rig for the better part of 50 years, much of his travels were in PA, and when I was young, I frequently went with him during the summer when school was closed. His truck was often overloaded and we NEVER sunk into the asphalt, even when stuck in traffic jams in 100 degree heat. I don't think that is remotely possible given the surface area of those massive tractor-trailer tires.

As for bridges, in my part of the world, nearly every bridge has expansion plates to compensate for heat and cold, and most have warning signs posted for motorcycle riders to be aware of those expansion plates. Seems kinda weird that that particular draw bridge didn't have them and had to be hosed down. I'm thinking it was just an excuse to test the fire hose pumps on those boats and not a problem with heat causing the bridge to jam. Might even be a bit of "Fake News" which the print media is becoming famous for putting out during the past decade. Gotta have that sensationalism to scare the public.

Just my .02 cents worth,

Gary
post #8 of 28 Old 07-11-2018 Thread Starter

The expansion joints did not jam however the 1/8" gaps between the hinge plates did not allow enough expansion to prevent the hinges from heating up and locking until they were cooled down.

As I recall last year in Texas they had a major issue with the highway rippling from the heat causing vehicles to go airborne when they passed over them.

This has been occurring with increasing frequency over the past decade.

Dennison Texas July 2016:
https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2016/07/21/...-near-denison/

Highway 161 in North Texas - July 2011:
https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2011/07/13/...ays-to-buckle/

Fort Bend Texas June 2018:
https://www.khou.com/article/traffic.../285-562442345

Here in Florida while the dual rear wheels are not a problem on my 35 foot bus the front wheels do sink in during long stops on hot days and if I start turning the wheels before I take my foot off the brake the front tires will start digging into the softened asphalt and can at times drop you right to the axle. Last time I drove through DC during a heat wave and stopped for fuel with the bus it was quite unnerving to see the marks my front wheels (245/70 19.5) left in the street where I turned them to pull in.

What used to be impossible 10, 20 or 30 years ago is no longer holding true.
post #9 of 28 Old 07-11-2018

Cheaper asphalt application or road construction these days? Itís simply not significantly hotter for any longer than it ever has been before. That is where Gary may be on to something. Media needs viewers to sell advertising. Catastrophe sells.

That bridge in Chicago has clearly been through even longer hotter spells than this, in its century of life.

Jeanneau 54DS

post #10 of 28 Old 07-11-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlin-easy View Post
Might even be a bit of "Fake News" which the print media is becoming famous for putting out during the past decade. Gotta have that sensationalism to scare the public.
Although I can't stand the current trend of sensationalizing news stories, almost equally as annoying (or maybe more so) is calling every news story "Fake News" any time you have some doubt about it. The news clip about a steel bridge expanding is a pretty benign story and I highly doubt it was fabricated by the media to garner clicks/views.
jwing likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in